Sanctions

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
At some point, the UT investigation will end, and will likely include recommendations to the Chancellor for self-imposed penalties. Then the waiting game starts again for an NCAA review of the case and decision on whether those sanctions were sufficient.

So talking about sanctions right now is nothing but prognostication. Still perhaps worth discussing.

What we know:
-- multiple high-level infractions (tier 1 or tier 2 or both);
-- an acknowledged loss of institutional control for some period of time, up to and including the head coach level (but apparently not beyond there);
-- swift, comprehensive and decisive corrective action by the university once leadership became aware of the problem.

The first two bullets argue for serious sanctions. The third mitigates the severity.

The five most common penalties in recent years have been (a) loss of scholarships, (b) post-season bans, (c) revocation of wins in record books, (d) show causes against the specific coaches involved, and (e) monetary penalties assessed against the university. I think it's possible we see all of these in our case. But how much, how many, how bad?

Probably too early to even guess at this until the particulars come out. Nonetheless, I would not be surprised (disappointed, but not surprised) for all 11 wins of the 2019 and 2020 seasons to be vacated. Would not be surprised to see us lose as many as 15 scholarships for up to two years, and be blocked from the post-season for the same period. Would definitely not be surprised to see lengthy show causes leveled against Pruitt, Niedermeyer and Felton, not that the latter is any skin off our noses.

What do you think? Anyone have experience with the NCAA in this regard, have a better feel for the upper and lower limits, assuming our violations are as numerous and serious as hinted in the Chancellor's press conference?

The NCAA picks and chooses who to nail and who to let scoot. We've always been the red-headed stepchild with them. Hoping the hiring of a White as our AD plus the fact that we cleaned house will help mitigate some of the damage, but at this point, I don't give a damn what they do. If we get the right head coach in here and can win on Saturdays, I don't care about a bowl game. Look, we've sucked forever. We can win 3 games on or off probation so what the hell are they going to do to us that can possibly make things worse?

Last edited:
My guess would be a 1-year bowl ban with the loss of 10-15 scholarships over a 2-3 year period. That plus the forfeiture of some wins over the past 2 seasons.

At some point, the UT investigation will end, and will likely include recommendations to the Chancellor for self-imposed penalties. Then the waiting game starts again for an NCAA review of the case and decision on whether those sanctions were sufficient.

So talking about sanctions right now is nothing but prognostication. Still perhaps worth discussing.

What we know:
-- an acknowledged loss of institutional control for some period of time, up to and including the head coach level (but apparently not beyond there);
-- swift, comprehensive and decisive corrective action by the university once leadership became aware of the problem.

The first two bullets argue for serious sanctions. The third mitigates the severity.

The five most common penalties in recent years have been (a) loss of scholarships, (b) post-season bans, (c) revocation of wins in record books, (d) show causes against the specific coaches involved, and (e) monetary penalties assessed against the university. I think it's possible we see all of these in our case. But how much, how many, how bad?

Probably too early to even guess at this until the particulars come out. Nonetheless, I would not be surprised (disappointed, but not surprised) for all 11 wins of the 2019 and 2020 seasons to be vacated. Would not be surprised to see us lose as many as 15 scholarships for up to two years, and be blocked from the post-season for the same period. Would definitely not be surprised to see lengthy show causes leveled against Pruitt, Niedermeyer and Felton, not that the latter is any skin off our noses.

What do you think? Anyone have experience with the NCAA in this regard, have a better feel for the upper and lower limits, assuming our violations are as numerous and serious as hinted in the Chancellor's press conference?

Forfeit all our games in the Pruitt era. Our record will improve and we can pretend it never happened LOL

What we know:

If UT gets hit hard you can expect schools to totally defy the NCAA in the future.

I could see up to 10-15 scholarships, 2 year ban, I think since we came out and did what we did it won’t be as stiff as USC or SMU

What we know:

I'm pretty sure there will be a ban of all McDonald's food chains within a 10 mile radius of the campus for 3 years.

Sorry I'm tired of the McD jokes but I couldn't resist.

My guess would be a 1-year bowl ban with the loss of 10-15 scholarships over a 2-3 year period. That plus the forfeiture of some wins over the past 2 seasons.
Please no, we can't afford the loss of scholarships, especially with everyone dipping out. This seems like it would be extreme for a self-imposed sanction.

Hell they don't have to "vacate" those wins. I'll happily give them back! Matter of fact, can we vacate the losses too and pretend the last 3 years never happened?

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
I love it when stupid people without a clue talk like they know everything about everything.

If I was representing any of the candidates, I would make sure there is language in the contract to have it extended to whatever the length of the sanctions may be.

We have had a lot of defections of our current players, possibly due in part to the brutal public assessment of Plowman. Could this be taken into consideration by the NCAA given that we have voluntarily lost what they may have imposed. Possible lighter punishment than anyone anticipates?

We have had a lot of defections of our current players, possibly due in part to the brutal public assessment of Plowman. Could this be taken into consideration by the NCAA given that we have voluntarily lost what they may have imposed. Possible lighter punishment than anyone anticipates?
BNcommits.png

What we know:

Sanctions from the NCAA will probably be months ago...they move at a snails pace...look at the LSU basketball coach situation which is nearly a year without sanctions. The thing most helpful is that UT Chancellor notified the NCAA quickly and opened an investigations of which the NCAA was advised as it progressed.

VN Store

Back