Post your coaching pick

What I believe: Fleck

Who I really want : Campbell, Napier, Fisher, Malzahn, Kiffin, Obrien(not in that order)

Who I really do not want: Elliot (never been HC), Herman (Pruitt 2.0), Dykes (Reminds me of Butch)

Last edited:
Is there a difference between ASU and Tennessee?
What do you mean by that? While we’re not good right now, I do think our brand is definitely bigger that ASU. And we do still get recruits based on our brand. Being close to big recruiting states, such as GA and Florida help.

I disagree. Dooley was the only coach after the Fulmer years who built at least one elite unit while he was at UT. Our offense during his last year was definitely elite - I think statistically one of the best we ever had. Chaney and Pittman were hugely important for that success, but I give Dooley a lot of credit for keeping Chaney after Kiffin left. It would be nice if whoever we hire now is smart enough to keep both Chaney and Steele - it would give that new coach a head start because it should reduce the number of players (we have some talent and Pruitt should be getting some credit for that) getting into transfer portal. I'm assuming Steele has been building some relationships with the players by now as well, and also our players know he has been very successful DC at Auburn.
Having said all this, I would be happy if we bring either Kiffin or Dooley back. Butch was the only terrible hire as far as I'm concerned (just because these guys did not work out does not mean they were not logical hires at that time - there are no guarantees any hires will work out especially when you play against SEC competition).
Dooley was horrible. Should have stuck to being a lawyer.

1) Campbell (not sure if realistic)
2) Chadwell (close 2nd. If his textbook scandal at Charleston Southern makes him unhirable, then Saban could never work at UT either)
3) Elliott (didn’t like this option at first, but the more I read about him, the more I like him)

I still say that Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern, Josh Heupel at UCF and Dave Clawson at Wake Forest Are my off the radar picks. Heupel obviously already has had a working relationship with White. All good coaches, run clean programs, builders and good recruiters and well respected.
Fitzgerald would be awesome. I doubt he’d leave Northwestern.

What do you mean by that? While we’re not good right now, I do think our brand is definitely bigger that ASU. And we do still get recruits based on our brand. Being close to big recruiting states, such as GA and Florida help.
ASU has a similar brand to most in this country

Campbell is probably our ceiling and I don’t see it happening. Fleck is hokey as hell but he’s a damn good coach; I think he’s the guy honestly. Freeze and Kiffin just aren’t happening, period; both have extensive baggage both have no chance. If we end up hiring Dykes I’ve got to believe this job is more damaged than anyone believed and we just had to compromise. Elliott I see as too big a gamble another compromise hire. Chadwell I have no idea if his offense would work in the conference, again I see him as a big gamble.

Dooley was horrible. Should have stuck to being a lawyer.

His overall record was horrible - no question about that. But are you disagreeing that our offense (Dooley's final year) was about the only thing worth watching ever since Fulmer was fired? I can't think of anything else (any other unit) that more resembled what we used to see back during the great 90's. Kiffin had a few highlights during his one year as well (spanking UGA and USCjr), but even that year we were not very consistent (ie Kiffin's bowl game was a disaster).

Reactions: TheFlash1971
1)Billy Napier....Know some of the family...great people and a great football mind!
2) Bill Obrien
3) Lane Kiffen
4)David Cutcliffe.... to stabilize the program for a couple of years

Reactions: Ratvol
Instead of posting a name, I am going to post a few areas of focus:

1. He knows how to manage players, and commands their respect.
2. Refers to them as men and not kids. And makes them embrace the expectations of men.
3. His offensive philosophy includes good use of tight ends, a strong running game, and a passing game that gains chunk yards when it is needed.
4. He knows when to tell the media to back off in a way they don't realize they have been told to back off.
5. He brings in a quality staff, holds them accountable, and while being in charge, lets them do their job.
6. He knows how to handle adversity, and is not too locked into spouting useless cliches.
7. He finds ways to be a quarterback whisperer.
8. He develops leaders.

Edit: OK, I will get with the program:

1. Petersen
2. Napier
3. Campbell
4. Satterfield (I am from Greenback)

The AD hire was way unexpected. Perhaps the HC hire will be too. Maybe a name not many people (or nobody) has mentioned.

Cristobal?
Shaw?
Whittingham?

I know it's rumored that "offensive" is what we're looking for, but I'm just throwing some stuff around for fun.

VN Store

Back