It’s now or never

avolnut

I truly believe that if we fail to get a “home run” hire for a HC within the next week. Tennessee football will continue its downward spiral for years to come. With all of the negativity surrounding this program, what incentive would a top ranked recruit have to play here. Or for that matter, convince our current players to stay with the program. Now is the time for the university to realize that a 3 or 4 million dollar mediocre coach, will only get us more of the same. We need a proven HC that can recruit, coach, and motivate the players. The administration states that we have a top tier program, prove your commitment to that statement and hire a top tier coach.

But what do we consider a home run hire? Someone who most of us want at the top of our list now or someone who may be underwhelming for some but ends up knocking it out of the park. I’m worried the fan base isn’t considering the reality and needing to set their expectations when an coach is named. We have to give them a chance and hope it works out no matter who it is

I truly believe that if we fail to get a “home run” hire for a HC within the next week. Tennessee football will continue its downward spiral for years to come. With all of the negativity surrounding this program, what incentive would a top ranked recruit have to play here. Or for that matter, convince our current players to stay with the program. Now is the time for the university to realize that a 3 or 4 million dollar mediocre coach, will only get us more of the same. We need a proven HC that can recruit, coach, and motivate the players. The administration states that we have a top tier program, prove your commitment to that statement and hire a top tier coach.
source.gif

Reactions: joevol33
But what do we consider a home run hire? Someone who most of us want at the top of our list now or someone who may be underwhelming for some but ends up knocking it out of the park. I’m worried the fan base isn’t considering the reality and needing to set their expectations when an coach is named. We have to give them a chance and hope it works out no matter who it is
The exact opposite of the past 3.

It says something kind of bad about our society when the phrase "3 or 4 million dollar mediocre coach" makes sense.

Matt Campbell

The truth is there probably isn’t a candidate that is certain to have the desired level of success. Even Nick Saban would be more likely to have his MSU level success than Bama, although his brand is much better now, so perhaps he’s the exception.

A coach that is 8 or 9 wins most years with an occasional great year, and an occasional down year, is my hope.

Matt Campbell

The truth is there probably isn’t a candidate that is certain to have the desired level of success. Even Nick Saban would be more likely to have his MSU level success than Bama, although his brand is much better now, so perhaps he’s the exception.

A coach that is 8 or 9 wins most years with an occasional great year, and an occasional down year, is my hope.

I just think it will take an exceptional coach with a big name to over shadow what we are now going through. I remember vividly the excitement and the hype that the Kiffin hire brought to Tennessee football. Everywhere you went people were talking about it. Recruits were clamoring over him, rappers were even writing songs about him! In order for us to rebound and not tumble into Vandyland, it will take someone who will excite the fans and media while diverting some of the negativity.

I just think it will take an exceptional coach with a big name to over shadow what we are now going through. I remember vividly the excitement and the hype that the Kiffin hire brought to Tennessee football. Everywhere you went people were talking about it. Recruits were clamoring over him, rappers were even writing songs about him! In order for us to rebound and not tumble into Vandyland, it will take someone who will excite the fans and media while diverting some of the negativity.
I disagree. I think that’s overvaluing winning the press conference.

It will take wins. Any excitement not coming from sound football leading to wins is UT continuing the last two decades of instant highs followed by mediocre football

I hope we do. But I won't be surprised if we end up with a bridge coach that tries to ride out the sanctions and keep the program afloat. Like O'Brien at PSU.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
This holes been dug for the last 15 yrs. UT isn’t gonna get out of it in a press conference. Whoever is hired has a lot of work to do.

I fear that hole is going to get much deeper in the very near future if we don’t hire the right guy.

Now or never is a stretch. This program will continue to exist and do well imo. However, this year is undoubtedly crucial. This instate class is like nothing we’ve seen before and specifically, landing Ty Simpson is imperative to us getting back to where we should be quickly. So we need to hire a proven offensive minded coach to develop him. The last time we screwed up a truly elite in-state QB recruitment: Steve Spurrier. And that has haunted this program for the last 50 years.

Reactions: avolnut
My fear is that in three years people will still be saying we shouldn’t have fired Fulmer. I’m little beaten up I guess.

Gruden is a home run

absolutely 100% agree

Reactions: avolnut
Wouldn't most of the candidates want to see what the NCAA is going to do to the football program before making a decision to come? Does anyone know when the NCAA will rule?

Here's my only requirement.... If I look at the guy's bio and I say to my self this guy's accomplishments look just like Derek Dooley or Butch Jones or Jeremy Pruitt when we hired them then I do not want that coach. We need someone above that. Anyone who's never been a head coach, no thanks. Anyone who's won a lot of games but in a small conference or DII or DIII, no thanks. Anyone who has a middling record in a weak conference, no thanks. We just have to do better than this. We need to do better than this.

VN Store

Back