Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoerner Fumbles said:
Small insight: Tee and Elliot are very close. Graham and Eliot are close. Steele and Eliot are close. White and Eliot are close. You can read this two ways: 1- He’s a trusted resource for a common group, or 2- He’s a backup solution that involves keeping some staff. I poached this from Coachery. He also said that he has heard that we have our guy and he is "impressive". SIAP.

Stoerner Fumbles said:
Small insight: Tee and Elliot are very close. Graham and Eliot are close. Steele and Eliot are close. White and Eliot are close. You can read this two ways: 1- He’s a trusted resource for a common group, or 2- He’s a backup solution that involves keeping some staff. I poached this from Coachery. He also said that he has heard that we have our guy and he is "impressive". SIAP.
If it’s Elliott then that is NOT “impressive”

Something to consider when evaluating coaches: it's not just about the record, but about how the record was made. Even for good coaches, improvement isn't always linear as reflected in the overall record (ie, 6-6, 9-4, 11-1, etc.). If we look at how many close games the team played, the record against ranked opponents, and the number of blowouts (wins and losses), that should take some of the noise/luck factor out of records.

For example, let's compare the best individual seasons for three head coaching candidates that have been discussed here:
  • Coach A: overall record 10-2
    • against ranked opponents: 1-1
    • in one possession games: 3-1
    • wins by more than two touchdowns: 6
    • losses by more than two touchdowns: 1
  • Coach B: overall record 9-3
    • against ranked opponents: 3-1
    • in one possession games: 4-2
    • wins by more than two touchdowns: 5
  • Coach C: overall record 10-4
    • against ranked opponents: 5-2
    • in one possession games: 7-3
    • wins by more than two touchdowns: 2
    • losses by more than two touchdowns: 0
Coach A blew out half of his opponents and only played four close games, winning three.
Coach B played more close games, probably because he played four ranked opponents to Coach A's two, but he blew out his remaining opponents.
Coach C played almost every game on his schedule within one possession. He played ton of ranked opponents, but played even his other opponents close, going 7-3.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that winning close games is replicable skill, instead of luck. Do we prefer playing close games or blowing out opponents? I would think that by year 3 or 4, we want to be blowing out lesser opponents like Vandy, South Carolina, and Mizzou.

If you go through coaching records game by game, I think it's easier to distinguish the mirages (Coach C, aka Tom Herman) from the actual program builders (Coach B, aka Matt Campbell and Coach A, aka Lane Kiffin).

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.41.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.46.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-23 at 9.07.52 PM.png

I don’t see this ending well for us. I hope I’m wrong but the longer this goes and literally no news the worse. We need this done quickly.

6c06c6ac693a0152c557c60f86035dfd.gif

Kiffin is my top choice; but, ill backflip and cartwheel all night if it's him. The ONLY thing that worries me about Campbell is a jump to the nfl; but, if that happened, good to assume he's fixed us a bit.
Do you realize you mentioned Kiffin and Campbell and said you're worried about Campbell jumping?

Something to consider when evaluating coaches: it's not just about the record, but about how the record was made. Even for good coaches, improvement isn't always linear as reflected in the overall record (ie, 6-6, 9-4, 11-1, etc.). If we look at how many close games the team played, the record against ranked opponents, and the number of blowouts (wins and losses), that should take some of the noise/luck factor out of records.

For example, let's compare the best individual seasons for three head coaching candidates that have been discussed here:
  • Coach A: overall record 10-2
    • against ranked opponents: 1-1
    • in one possession games: 3-1
    • wins by more than two touchdowns: 6
  • Coach B: overall record 9-3
    • against ranked opponents: 3-1
    • in one possession games: 4-2
    • wins by more than two touchdowns: 5
  • Coach C: overall record 10-4
    • against ranked opponents: 5-2
    • in one possession games: 7-3
    • wins by more than two touchdowns: 2
    • losses by more than two touchdowns: 0
Coach A blew out half of his opponents and only played four close games, winning three.
Coach B played more close games, probably because he played four ranked opponents to Coach A's two, but he blew out his remaining opponents.
Coach C played almost every game on his schedule within one possession. He played ton of ranked opponents, but played even his other opponents close, going 7-3.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that winning close games is replicable skill, instead of luck. Do we prefer playing close games or blowing out opponents? I would think that by year 3 or 4, we want to be blowing out lesser opponents like Vandy, South Carolina, and Mizzou.

If you go through coaching records game by game, I think it's easier to distinguish the mirages (Coach C, aka Tom Herman) from the actual program builders (Coach B, aka Matt Campbell and Coach A, aka Lane Kiffin).

View attachment 342946View attachment 342947View attachment 343068
I am not fired up for Herman-- he has tons of talent in that area and... blah. Campbell is in freaking Iowa.

I don’t care if the AD was hired yesterday. We can’t even get an ounce of info form our insiders who were so excited. Tells me things may not be going as they hoped.

I am not fired up for Herman-- he has tons of talent in that area and... blah. Campbell is in freaking Iowa.
I would prefer Campbell but I’d be very happy with Herman as well but Freeze & Kiffin are my top 2 just bc of the buzz that would bring to Knoxville

I find it really hard to believe that those people who donate $10 million + a year aren't even asked their opinion. This isn't ucf boosters, which were non existent until a couple of years ago. There's a reason that some of those boosters where the first few people he met with when he got off of the plane. Not saying they make the decision, but they'll get to have their say.
I also find it hard to believe that they would consult PF after trying to hire Steele as HC. PF should not even have a say in nothing.He needs to just stay home

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back