Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also coordinators with no coaching experience.
Stoops at UK what he's done there is impressive.
Scott Frost went 13-0 in year 2 with 0 experience.
Jimbo jumping to FSU
Dabo at Clemson
Manny Diaz at Miami
Gundy at Ok St
Mullen at MS St
Mike Leach at Tx Tech
Chip Kelly
It’s silly to even bring this up. Clearly a coach isn’t born a HC, so every coach out there started at a lower position. Plus it’s misleading to a degree. Just look at frost, people like to cherry pick that season, but fail to mention every other year as a HC has been a losing season. I believe 5 seasons as a HC. But based off those limited numbers that means he’s exceptional about 20 percent of the time, the 80 percent of the time is garbage.

The issue regarding UT and hire assistants as HC is that it hasn’t gone well, or even up and coming HCs that have done well. Could it in the future? Yes of course. The problem is can the program afford to take that chance again? I mean I thought we hit bottom a few years ago, boy was I wrong. I don’t think it’s wise to put the survival of a program like TN on the line for an assistant at this moment.

My guess is that White is interviewing 3-4 people that fit different molds (up and coming HC, Big time college coordinator, stable HC and a wild card) and then go after one.

Elliot would be the coordinator and if he knocked the interview out of the park then who knows what will happen!

Elliot appears to be a fine OC. However, considering the other realistic available candidates, that hire would be a nut punch considering what our current needs are. Just my opinion.

I base this on no inside info, I just have the feels. I think AD White and the administration already had a candidate in mind and put together one hellava package and they are giving them the weekend to think about it and discuss with spouse, etc.. Campbell fits the bill, but would be hard to get our of Ames. Others have tried and failed. I hope it is and he accepts because that would be a home run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back