Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
I don’t want Campbell, my belief is he would be in way over his head in SEC, the south and recruiting. HARD PASS....plus he’s comfortable where he is, goofy, and at a place with zero expectations.
He is in a Bobby Bowden/Paterno retirement position job. Not going anywhere. He may be tempted to the NFL someday, but it would shock me. He is set for life right where he is.

I didn’t want to be the one to say it, but I feel the same way. I know we should be thrilled with someone like him compared to our current situation but he just doesn’t do it for me. A 35-28 record in the big 12 just doesn’t get me excited. You have guys like Gus with a 69-35 record in the SEC or Herman with 32-18 record. I just feel like if we were to get him, we could have done a lot better for the amount of money we would have to pay.
His 35 wins in five seasons are the most that Iowa State has won over any five year stretch in program history. He just finished off his fourth consecutive winning season. The last time that Iowa State had four consecutive winning seasons was 1924-1927. Neither Johnny Majors or Earle Bruce were as remotely successful in Ames as Matt Campbell.

He consistently takes teams and competes/beats opponents with infinitely more talent. We’d be lucky to get him, but we most likely missed our chance three years ago when he interviewed for the job but Currie refused to pay his buyout.

His 35 wins in five seasons are the most that Iowa State has won over any five year stretch in program history. He just finished off his fourth consecutive winning season. The last time that Iowa State had four consecutive winning seasons was 1924-1927. Neither Johnny Majors or Earle Bruce were as remotely successful in Ames as Matt Campbell.

He consistently takes teams and competes/beats opponents with infinitely more talent. We’d be lucky to get him, but we most likely missed our chance three years ago when he interviewed for the job but Currie refused to pay his buyout.
Fahr Currie!

Reactions: preacherwebb
Money, environment and team control are why so many want to stay in college . Look at the ones that left and came back. You can tell a 20 year old Jr. what to do but you aren't going to tell a multi-million dollar player with and agent and the ear of an owner what to do, you just make suggestions and depending on that players contract you will probably be gone before they will.

I didn’t want to be the one to say it, but I feel the same way. I know we should be thrilled with someone like him compared to our current situation but he just doesn’t do it for me. A 35-28 record in the big 12 just doesn’t get me excited. You have guys like Gus with a 69-35 record in the SEC or Herman with 32-18 record. I just feel like if we were to get him, we could have done a lot better for the amount of money we would have to pay.

Well if the it has to be a sitting HC is true then Gus and Herman are off the table.

I thought I read somewhere that Gus wasn’t interested in the UT job. Don’t remember where I saw that. So I can’t confirm or link. And Herman only competition was Oklahoma. So record isn’t everything. If record is what you want then Liepold is your guy. Imo

If he stays at Iowa State he will become the next Bill Snyder of the Big 12.

Right. And maybe that appeals to him. But here’s what’s always lost about Bill Snyder...he never won a single conference championship. So it depends on a coach’s makeup. Does he want to be a local legend at a place where the bar is low and so is the ceiling? Or does he want to win championships at a place with tradition and history (which comes with expectations, but also glory if you meet them)?

If Campbell is the latter, Tennessee is appealing to him. And he is appealing to Tennessee.

Well if the it has to be a sitting HC is true then Gus and Herman are off the table.
I would imagine coaching the 2020 season would suffice as "sitting head coach," wouldn't you? Besides, the chancellor said this is the AD's search now, and he is clearly open to broader criteria. "Everyone in this room is a candidate."

If he stays at Iowa State he will become the next Bill Snyder of the Big 12.
I believe he is at the first serious point in his career where he would look at other options. I dont believe the looming issues would entice him to consider Tennessee. He will be picky about his recruiting scenario if moving to an SEC or similar job.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Right. And maybe that appeals to him. But here’s what’s always lost about Bill Snyder...he never won a single conference championship. So it depends on a coach’s makeup. Does he want to be a local legend at a place where the bar is low and so is the ceiling? Or does he want to win championships at a place with tradition and history (which comes with expectations, but also glory if you meet them)?

If Campbell is the latter, Tennessee is appealing to him. And he is appealing to Tennessee.
I meant a legendary coach to the program.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I believe he is at the first serious point in his career where he would look at other options. I dont believe the looming issues would entice him to consider Tennessee. He will be picky about his recruiting scenario if moving to an SEC or similar job.
Again I meant he would just be a legendary coach at one program.

Again I meant he would just be a legendary coach at one program.
I think you are exactly right from what I know. I do think every one of those coaches has a fork in the road to decide a path, and his fork appears to be now. That doesn't mean he takes the fork going in a new direction, but most stop to read the road signs for a minute.

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS

Snyder won the Big 12 in 2003 and 2012 while also winning his half of the conference 3 other times. His teams won 10 or more games in 9 of his 27 seasons. He was Conference coach of the year 7 times and national coach of the year (various awards) in three different seasons. In looking at Tennessee’s record over the last 4 coaches, we have zero 10-win seasons and obviously no SEC or SEC East championships. We could do a lot worse than a coach like Campbell or with one like the results of Snyder.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I think Campbell is a rising star.....is he came in with Steele, Gardner, Graham, Tee....he would have people that recruit the SEC well. I just don't see it, more because I think he is happy where he is today.

Snyder won the Big 12 in 2003 and 2012 while also winning his half of the conference 3 other times. His teams won 10 or more games in 9 of his 27 seasons. He was Conference coach of the year 7 times and national coach of the year (various awards) in three different seasons. In looking at Tennessee’s record over the last 4 coaches, we have zero 10-win seasons and obviously no SEC or SEC East championships. We could do a lot worse than a coach like Campbell or with one like the results of Snyder.

You’re right. I stand corrected. He won the Big 12 twice.

I’m not knocking Snyder. You don’t have to sell his accomplishments to me. I married a KState family and the man is a deity to them. Rightfully so. Nor am I knocking Campbell...I’ll be over the moon if UT hires him.

My point is, Snyder is a legend at KState in spite of never winning (or playing for) a NC and only winning his conference twice in 20 years. The bar to be a legend is lower there, as it is at ISU. Some coaches may prefer that. But Tennessee is a bigger stage and, when Tennessee is Tennessee, the ceiling is higher. The opportunity to win a NC is greater. Other coaches may prefer that. Think a coach like Nick Saban prefers a low bar or a high ceiling? We know it’s the latter.

So it depends on what Campbell prefers. I hope it’s the latter because I’d love to have him in Knoxville.

Reactions: EZE
Do you want a coach that might leave for the NFL. If you compare records with somebody like Scott Satterfield its no better. In 2016 and 2017 App with Satterfield coaching beat Toledo 31-28 and 34-0 in a bowl games which would of been Campbell players that he recruited to Toledo.

Iowa State is a average team in a bad conference, so this guy is going to come here and win in the SEC

Uh, the played (competitively) against Oklahoma in their conference championship game and won a major bowl. Tennessee hasn’t won a major bowl since the 90s, and I think that is the last time we even played in one.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
You’re right. I stand corrected. He won the Big 12 twice.

I’m not knocking Snyder. You don’t have to sell his accomplishments to me. I married a KState family and the man is a deity to them. Rightfully so. Nor am I knocking Campbell...I’ll be over the moon if UT hires him.

My point is, Snyder is a legend at KState in spite of never winning (or playing for) a NC and only winning his conference twice in 20 years. The bar to be a legend is lower there, as it is at ISU. Some coaches may prefer that. But Tennessee is a bigger stage and, when Tennessee is Tennessee, the ceiling is higher. The opportunity to win a NC is greater. Other coaches may prefer that. Think a coach like Nick Saban prefers a low bar or a high ceiling? We know it’s the latter.

So it depends on what Campbell prefers. I hope it’s the latter because I’d love to have him in Knoxville.

Campbell is numero uno on my list.

I wonder what we would think of Iowa State if there big 12 hadn't realigned and lost its middle pack of teams. Campbell and his win average would probably be a loss or two worse.

You’re clearly ignorant. Bill Snyder won conference titles. Tennessee in that time? Zero.

There’s not much suggesting Campbell would win more titles at Tennessee. In his current position, he just finished first in a round robin schedule, losing a toss-up in the title game. That’s in just his 5th season after inheriting a **** program. Recent decades(!) suggest that he’d be lucky to have the same 5 year record here. We just sucked WHILE cheating. Will things get easier with scholarship reductions and increased compliance?

Then there’s also the way we treat coaches- using the latest as the fall guy for our SEC culture. You have to mirror what the conference does here, but if you do that and don’t win, we set you up and ruin your name, not too mention no buyout.

Why is that bad? Coaches talk. And Because good coaches like Campbell can go anywhere. Why leave being at the doorstep of conference titles, to go to a sanctioned Tennessee, when you could go to the NFL or a top college program? He’s turned down arguably much better jobs, and ones in which he’d get his buyout if things don’t work out.

I wonder what we would think of Iowa State if there big 12 hadn't realigned and lost its middle pack of teams. Campbell and his win average would probably be a loss or two worse.
In terms of percentages, the Big 12 and Iowa St is a tougher schedule to accumulate wins. A true round robin of 9 games, plus Iowa. They’re playing 10 P5 games every year. In the SEC you have more also-rans, more bad teams, an extra non-conference.

The challenge of the SEC is the top couple teams are better- if you play all of them. And let’s be real, we’re talking Bama. Bama is the difference between the SEC and there other conferences.

It was embarrassing to see A$M and Missouri go from also rans to immediate success when they joined. I’ve doubted the whole conference thing ever since. It’s Bama. That’s the difference. If Texas gets their **** together and Bama has a post Saban decline, the narrative will change

You’re clearly ignorant. Bill Snyder won conference titles. Tennessee in that time? Zero.

There’s not much suggesting Campbell would win more titles at Tennessee. In his current position, he just finished first in a round robin schedule, losing a toss-up in the title game. That’s in just his 5th season after inheriting a **** program. Recent decades(!) suggest that he’d be lucky to have the same 5 year record here. We just sucked WHILE cheating. Will things get easier with scholarship reductions and increased compliance?

Then there’s also the way we treat coaches- using the latest as the fall guy for our SEC culture. You have to mirror what the conference does here, but if you do that and don’t win, we set you up and ruin your name, not too mention no buyout.

Why is that bad? Coaches talk. And Because good coaches like Campbell can go anywhere. Why leave being at the doorstep of conference titles, to go to a sanctioned Tennessee, when you could go to the NFL or a top college program? He’s turned down arguably much better jobs, and ones in which he’d get his buyout if things don’t work out.

You might wanna re-think your approach. And read my follow up post to the one you’re replying to.

Thanks for your input.

VN Store

Back