The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Stackhouse should hire a guy like Phil Marteli, that was genius by Michigan and Juwan Howard, imo. I know Minnesota beat 'em by 20, today, but it's basketball, every team loses a game, since 1976. Right now, imo, Howard or Nate Oats is the Coach of the Year, so far. Mark Few and Baylor's coach are not far behind

There is obviously a time and place for both. Athletes at that level have are much more successful effecting shots/blocking shots when the offensive player attacks off 1 foot. Just because a player stops to gather off two feet does not mean that the defender has an easier time blocking their shot. The offensive player can vary the speed that they got back up, they can shot fake, they can still use their pivot to create space, and they can use their body to initiate contact and create space. That last thing is something Springer does at an elite level. That is why euro and slow side steps have become so prevalent. It's about disrupting the timing of the defender.

I find it ironic that your defense of the 2 footed gather is the euro step, which results in a single foot jump....

Secondly, very rarely is the primary defender blocking those shots in the NBA. He is going to try that in the NBA and not only have to shoot over a larger and longer defender, but then he is going to have someone with Yves Pons athleticism but on a 6'10" frame coming to help even if he beats his primary defender.

This is a knock on his NBA stock and how it translates in the NBA. So tell me, what player over the last 20 years in the NBA at 6'4" had a great career (actually, just had a career, doesn't even have to be great) from making his way to the paint and just shot faking and pivoting constantly? I'm not sure that player exists. The game isn't played like that in the NBA.

Springer jumpshot is definitely very mechanical and it will limit his growth potential as a deep threat. His early low volume success from college 3pt has had too much influence on our opinion on him as a deep threat. The mechanical nature of his shot will show up with even more negative impact as he attempts to extend his range out to the NBA 3pt line. It's fixable but will take considerable time and effort. I am with you on the 2 foot attacks. How can that be treated as a negative? It's not like he isn't capable of jumping off one foot to score. The fact is he has conditioned himself to play off two feet. It's on purpose. It makes you stronger and more versatile when you attack. I really don't think that will hinder him at the next level.
I also found it interesting on the broadcast of the game last night that the broadcasters talked specifically about 2-foot attacks. Said that Stackhouse specifically worked with Pippen and others about using both feet and staying strong. Stackhouse played for years in the NBA, obviously. I would trust that he knows what he’s talking about.

Reactions: walkenvol
I find it ironic that your defense of the 2 footed gather is the euro step, which results in a single foot jump....

Secondly, very rarely is the primary defender blocking those shots in the NBA. He is going to try that in the NBA and not only have to shoot over a larger and longer defender, but then he is going to have someone with Yves Pons athleticism but on a 6'10" frame coming to help even if he beats his primary defender.

This is a knock on his NBA stock and how it translates in the NBA. So tell me, what player over the last 20 years in the NBA at 6'4" had a great career (actually, just had a career, doesn't even have to be great) from making his way to the paint and just shot faking and pivoting constantly? I'm not sure that player exists. The game isn't played like that in the NBA.

Uhhh, the euro step was not a defense of the 2 foot jumpstop. It was an example of how you must adapt your 1 foot attacks to be successful. I literally said there is a time and place for both. But you will be way more successful if you learn how to attack off two feet and then sprinkle in some 1 foot euros and other speed variations with your 1 foot attacks. Plus you added more to the argument for 2 foot jumpstops talking about helpside defenders. You are exactly right when you attack and get deep in the lane you will pull the helpside. And you know how you have way more options to find a pass to the open teammate once you pull the helpside...you guessed it playing off 2 feet and having a pivot. Hence why I said it gives you more versatility.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Uhhh, the euro step was not a defense of the 2 foot jumpstop. It was an example of how you must adapt your 1 foot attacks to be successful. I literally said there is a time and place for both. But you will be way more successful if you learn how to attack off two feet and then sprinkle in some 1 foot euros and other speed variations with your 1 foot attacks. Plus you added more to the argument for 2 foot jumpstops talking about helpside defenders. You are exactly right when you attack and get deep in the lane you will pull the helpside. And you know how you have way more options to find a pass to the open teammate once you pull the helpside...you guessed it playing off 2 feet and having a pivot. Hence why I said it gives you more versatility.

I'm not arguing the validity of being able to pivot and having fundamentals to your game. I don't diagree with your take on having fundamentals, but that isn't the conversation. You asked why being viewed as a 2 foot jumper was a knock on his NBA assessment, which I provided. You can find some great HS kids that have awesome fundamentals but will never sniff the next level, the same with college kids, and so on.

He rarely if ever goes off of one foot. Go back and watch his high school footage. Even on breakaways he is almost always a 2 foot jumper when he dunks the basketball. Which is typically a sign of someone that isn't quite an elite athlete (by NBA standards), which is what the NBA covets. Last night you saw Keon Johnson score on an and-1 off of one leg. Jaden doesn't seem to have that ability, which again, is why Keon is a lock as a lottery pick and Jaden looks like a late first rounder at this stage. It's all about the upside and ceiling. They can teach Keon to jump stop and change up his offensive attack, but they can't suddenly make Jaden longer and more athletic.

I'll ask you again since you glossed over it the first time: what player at his height made a living at the next level just driving to the paint, jump stopping and just pivoting and shot faking all the time? Springer honestly looks like a better overall offensive player but worse defensive Josh Hart. Which is totally fine and he will make a lot of money by being a solid bench guy if that is his career, but that isn't a guy you take a chance on in the lottery or view as a high ceiling asset.

Yes they did only down 1 spot and Michigan goes 1-1 and moves up 3 or 4 spots.

The polls are really screwy this year.

WV
TT

Way up there with 4 losses

Freakin Illinois at 9-5 has no business being ranked.......I don’t care who they have played.

Campbell’s next stop will be Michigan or the NFL.

I think Blackburn is now damaged goods.
Yeah I agree it's unlikely, just a dream. Napier from Louisiana would be doable and I'd like that hire

Don't know what happened with Blackburn, just remember reading about him a while ago and liking him

Yeah I agree it's unlikely, just a dream. Napier from Louisiana would be doable and I'd like that hire

Don't know what happened with Blackburn, just remember reading about him a while ago and liking him

I think that at a minimum Blackburn has burned some bridges. But I think he also revealed a bit of an unstable side.

I think that at a minimum Blackburn has burned some bridges. But I think he also revealed a bit of an unstable side.
Not trying to bad mouth MTSU but he is the assistant AD at a mid major school that is majorly struggling with their basketball program and football appears to be trending down. Not sure how he fell so far but I also never understood some of the people on here that thought he was the second coming.

Hopefully our new AD will recognize the recent success of our basketball program and consider such when allocating budgets, etc.

With Fulmer retiring, I really hope the new AD puts the time, effort, and money into our basketball program and not just football like some of our ADs in the past

I think they will; this isn't the old days anymore. There's really nothing stopping a school like Tennessee from being competitive in pretty much every sport it participates in.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Obviously hope Barnes can coach for a while, but would hope we find an AD who will be successful long term here and ultimately be responsible for hiring his replacement. I know football is #1, but I’m keeping an eye on what track record the candidates have w basketball hires. Mark Ingram is being mentioned, and his first hire at UAB was a dud. I think Andy Kennedy could be good there but time will tell. He clearly wasn’t a hot commodity.

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back