Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised by this. Still do not think our defense was very good.

The D finished middle of the pack per the stats. It was in the top 25% the year before. So it trended significantly worse. That difference combined with continued bad O gave us 3-7 versus 8-5.

It's a thin edge between the two actually. Schedule and moderately better play can shift it 3-5 wins. It's what happens after they achieve that level consistently. After that you have to recruit, develop, scheme, play, and call games much better. We are so far away from that later scenario I cannot see it happening anytime soon. Sure, with better assistants and play from who he has, Pruitt can deliver 7-8 wins occasionally. Can't see him ever delivering what needs to happen to become elite.

Reactions: GuRu and drvenner
Even if you don’t agree it affected us worse.... it’s abnormal situation that affected every team differently.
Actually there were other teams that it effected more as far as disrupting the season. Florida is the first example. Don’t use Covid as an excuse for lack of development on this team, that blame should be placed squarely on Pruitt and the staff.

Since it looks like Pruitt is staying. Will he get this year and next to be HC? He's hiring a new coach for almost every position, on 2 year contracts. Im 90% sure JP will fail this season, hes shown me nothing that he will work out.
Surely he has to be. No way UT is reinvesting in Pruitt like this for a 1 year experiment to see if half a new staff can work...because it's unlikely to in such a short time. We've seen that before all too well.

There’s honesty no point in comparing anyone to bama. They are on a different level than everyone else. Clemson had the QB of the generation in some peoples eyes and bama completely ran the team that destroyed Clemson.

Until saban retires there’s no point. They may lose a game here and there but no one is beating them unless they have an off game and everyone else has their A+++

completely agree

and even in their unprecedented success they still didn’t play the defense any of us would be scared of like years past

“QB Play was awful”
*brings in a top transfer QB with Hendon Hooker and gets rid of the cancerous Jarrett Guarantano*

“OL was a dissappointment”
*fired the OLine coach*

“DL was terrible”
*likely about to bring in one of the nations top DL coaches*

“We can’t pass rush”
*replaces Deandre Johnson and Kivon Bennett with Dylan Brooks and Big Kat Bryant

“Linebackers can’t cover”
*brings in Kevin Steele*

So far Pruitt has addressed multiple needs. Lot of work for a “fired” head coach

If he makes a good OL coaching hire, brings in Gilbert and brings in a solid nickel DB to help the slant pass what complaints will we have left
1610914283247.gif

I think A&M, Georgia and bama had decent defenses.

The rest of the league was bad and all very close to each other. Put them in a hat and mix them up.

I hope defenses makes a comeback but I doubt it. If that’s the case I don’t think worrying about that side of the ball is productive and we need to focus on offense. That’s where we are clearly at the bottom of the league
Two things obviously make a good defense, players and scheme. They're basically his players now so he owns the roster. Then that brings you to scheme. I've seen coaches that fielded defenses that were better than the sum of the players, over played their talent, did more with less. He can't do that. He can't make a team out of what he has. It's like when you go in your fridge and grab a hodge podge of stuff and throw it in a pot and make a great meal. My wife is very good at that. Whatever Pruitt mixes up always comes out tasting like ****. He's not a great defensive mind. If he was our defenses would be better.

Last edited:
Bob_Vols

Don’t Jimmy me if this has been posted already lol
And herein lies our biggest problem on the hill...there’s ALWAYS a power struggle causing division, instead of rowing in the same direction for the betterment of the program. It’s sickening!

Two things obviously make a good defense, players and scheme. They're basically his players now so he owns the roster. Then the that brings you to scheme. I've seen coaches that fielded defenses that were better than the sum of the players, over played their talent, did more with less. He can't do that. He can't make a team out of what he has. It's like when you go in your fridge and grab a hodge podge of stuff and throw it in a pot and make a great meal. My wife is very good at that. Whatever Pruitt mixes up always comes out tasting like ****. He's not a great defensive mind. If he was our defenses would be better.

I was extremely disappointed in the organization of the defense and that must change. However I think that’s an easy fix. Other than those handful of times a game I don’t think you are going to see a defense do much better for a long time around here. Offenses just win now

Actually there were other teams that it effected more as far as disrupting the season. Florida is the first example. Don’t use Covid as an excuse for lack of development on this team, that blame should be placed squarely on Pruitt and the staff.
How do you develop when you are not allowed to practice..... I work with youth/ high school sports and it most definitely effects teams.

Watched part of TB's basketball show from last night. Said BKB is prepared to play for Pruitt or Steele. Also said Steele and Felton are friends, so the expectation is that BKB would be fine with whatever the direction is moving forward.

Then he went on to say Pruitt is locked in an aquarium on Times Square in a straight jacket. Everyone right now is tapping on the glass to check for signs of life. And because Pruitt is showing he isn't dead yet, everyone is assuming he will escape. Says there is no reason to think that's gonna happen, and that if Pruitt is the coach next year he should change his name to Harry High School Houdini.

Accurate? Probably not. But it was an entertaining analogy.

I would say he has SLIGHTLY backed off the idea that Pruitt is completely done, but barely.

Just listened to that bit and found it interesting. Adding to that:

-Steele was not a Pruitt hire
-The lawyers are compiling all of their gathered evidence and preparing a report that will go to the SEC office. It’ll describe what was found and what we’re doing to address it.
-Pruitt’s lawyers are instructing him to operate business as usual until told otherwise which is what’s making many feel as though he’ll be retained
-Team meeting on Monday expected, but not related to any kind of special announcement
-TB still thinks Pruitt is out and Steele will be interim but “This is Tennessee” so expect the unusual

It looks more like zone than anything

They play zone, but they also playquarters about as much as anything else. It's silly looking most of the time. Sometimes they will man the star on the slot in motion with quarters or two deep zone. It never works. The game against aTm they did that with Bryce a few times and he looked like he was going to lose his mind trying to work through LB's while trailing his man. Never got there in time. Instead of a secondary that reads and shifts assignments with the motion, they try to chase a guy across the field who knows where he is going and where the ball will be. Dumb. Third year crack DC. lol.

Last edited:
How do you develop when you are not allowed to practice..... I work with youth/ high school sports and it most definitely effects teams.
Other teams faced the same issue. The number one reason for our pathetic season was the lack of developing Bailey in fall camp. Bailey missed four practices in Fall camp because of Covid. Pruitt shut him down after because he considered Bailey 4th string after one initial 10 snap session. That is by far Pruitt’s most inept decision this year and cost us at least two wins, maybe more.

Reactions: Deebowbear
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why they think the Tennessee athletic department would go after Kiffin. He gets brought up continuously, but I can't see that happening unless he has done something to make them think he is an option. I am not talking about tweeting things to get the Tennessee fans all aflutter. And why would he want to come back here? At Ole Miss the fans expect less. He can steadily build his reputation back up to where he is wanted by the big time jobs. He didn't exactly have many willing to take a chance on him except Ole Miss. Unless he has a soft spot for Tennessee and feels guilty about what he did.
Take him in a heartbeat go get him now

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back