Coach KJH

She needs to clean house of staff, soon! Mid level recruiting, and mid level coaching, SEC requires talent, not learn on the job possibilities
Hire Coach Jumper as an assistant. He will be good at anything needed and that is saying a lot so count on his ability.

Coach Harper has re-established defense and rebounding to the LVs. They have lost, are almost, lost close games only. She is lacking an offensive threat that can deliver in close games. The Lady Vols would be almost unbeatable if she had a Rhyne Howard type player(s).
Didn’t play much defense last night. And seem to lack basic fundamentals. You don’t wait for the pass you step to it and that’s why they have so many turnovers on the perimeter. Stuck feet in the sand

Alright Darth ,I mean Coach , she made some mistakes, the girls looked like they were playing half speed most of the second half. It was just bad all the way around. I'm not looking forward to the next couple games but to hell with it, time to get ready for the next one. Go Lady Vols...

I ust saw a lot of VolNation posts beating the girls up and that was wrong.
Yes, the girls did shut down and that was wrong too
But we coaches can't let our players get away with shutting down, if a loss is imminent, sub the entire bench and send a real message...but we coaches CAN'T shut down too, bc the girls will follow our lead.

I'm not Darth, KZ,, but in keeping with my character,
I shoot straight and I am hardest on my own segment of the game,,,coaching!.

And I want to send a hard message to coach K
"I back you, but I don't bow to you"

Reactions: sccshortstop
Hire Coach Jumper as an assistant. He will be good at anything needed and that is saying a lot so count on his ability.

The staff's not ready for that JFP
But the players are

and Pat would have had the gumption to give me a look...She looked for strong personalities to work with her,,she wasn't intimidated by them

"Surround yourself with people who are better than you are. Seek out quality people, acknowledge their talents, and let them do their jobs. You win with people"

Last edited:
I ust saw a lot of VolNation posts beating the girls up and that was wrong.
Yes, the girls did shut down and that was wrong too
But we coaches can't let our players get away with shutting down, if a loss is imminent, sub the entire bench and send a real message...but we coaches CAN'T shut down too, bc the girls will follow our lead.

I'm not Darth, KZ,, but in keeping with my character,
I shoot straight and I am hardest on my own segment of the game,,,coaching!.

And I want to send a hard message to coach K
"I back you, but I don't bow to you"
In all seriousness, what would it have hurt subbing in Jessie, Emily & Tess? The starters and the ones that were subbed in trashed a 17 point lead??

Didn’t play much defense last night. And seem to lack basic fundamentals. You don’t wait for the pass you step to it and that’s why they have so many turnovers on the perimeter. Stuck feet in the sand

I know a winning high school coach who once made his players practice in galoshes (we don't call them rubbers here in the States).

Would having the offense work against 6 male practice players be of any use in protecting the ball, movement and cuts, not telegraphing passes, etc?

Also, I've noticed that our players don't hold screens and picks very well. I'm surprised we haven't been called more often for moving screens. And we don't seem willing or able to take charges on defense.

Then there are times when we have good ball movement and look fairly sharp with good decisions. There were a lot of nice passes to Key in first quarter (only one I saw). That's more fristrating than if we were just horrible for the entire game, but at least it shows what's possible.

I wish we could get some really fast guards to practice against us regularly and make our defense have five consecutive stop of the penetration (no layups or short dump-off under basket) before drill can end, even if it takes half the practice. Right now it's killing us.

Reactions: Peas29 and GameTime
In all seriousness, what would it have hurt subbing in Jessie, Emily & Tess? The starters and the ones that were subbed in trashed a 17 point lead??

If they're real competitors, the effect on the starters/regulars should be either (a) make them mad and want to get back on the floor to "show" the coaches how wrong they are or (b) shame them into performing at a higher level and holding themselves accountable. If they're prima donnas, they will stub up and sulk.

If the former happens, your team improves right away. If the latter, then you'll be better off in future seasons. Either way, the tone is set and the culture changes unless tge entire team mutinies. Then the situation is hopeless until those new pkayers come in.

I've benched the entire starting rotation of upper classmen during a game on several occasions with both results (no mutinies, just sulking). Sometimes it wakes up those who feel entitled; sometimes it builds for the future and reaps benefits the next season.

Whatever the reason for the lack of effort (and failure to address it during the game), this has to be addressed now. And media should be asking the questions we have expressed here about lack of effort, not taking time outs, etc.

If they're real competitors, the effect on the starters/regulars should be either (a) make them mad and want to get back on the floor to "show" the coaches how wrong they are or (b) shame them into performing at a higher level and holding themselves accountable. If they're prima donnas, they will stub up and sulk.

If the former happens, your team improves right away. If the latter, then you'll be better off in future seasons. Either way, the tone is set and the culture changes unless tge entire team mutinies. Then the situation is hopeless until those new pkayers come in.

I've benched the entire starting rotation of upper classmen during a game on several occasions with both results (no mutinies, just sulking). Sometimes it wakes up those who feel entitled; sometimes it builds for the future and reaps benefits the next season.

Whatever the reason for the lack of effort (and failure to address it during the game), this has to be addressed now. And media should be asking the questions we have expressed here about lack of effort, not taking time outs, etc.
I definitely agree with you!

Reactions: creekdipper
The staff's not ready for that JFP
But the players are
Dear Lord. Return to Full Delusional Mode. Players clamoring for you are they?

and Pat would have had the gumption to give me a look...She looked for strong personalities to work with her,,she wasn't intimidated by them
I fear Pat Summitt would have squashed you like a teeny tiny bug my friend. Especially the first time she heard you say you were going to be an influence on her recruits whether she liked it or not. Not sure offering you a job would have been her top priority.

Coach Harper has a relaxed personality as compared to Coach Wes Moore who has an intense personality. Kellie knows what she wants her team to accomplish on the court just as much as Wes does. Unfortunately, her relaxed personality does not induce excellence in team court performance as oppose to Wes Moore's intense personality inducing his team's excellent court performance. This is why the two coaches have/had different results in their coaching careers at Power 5 schools.

Coach Harper has a relaxed personality as compared to Coach Wes Moore who has an intense personality. Kellie knows what she wants her team to accomplish on the court just as much as Wes does. Unfortunately, her relaxed personality does not induce excellence in team court performance as oppose to Wes Moore's intense personality inducing his team's excellent court performance. This is why the two coaches have/had different results in their coaching careers at Power 5 schools.
So you can't be a successful coach if you have a relaxed personality? Mike Kryzyzewski says hold my beer. Rick Barnes says hold my holy water.

....I fear Pat Summitt would have squashed you like a teeny tiny bug my friend. Especially the first time she heard you say you were going to be an influence on her recruits whether she liked it or not. Not sure offering you a job would have been her top priority.

I sat with Pat.
I talked with Pat
Have you?

Were a very good team when all five of our top players come to play and play efficient games. In this game and LSU game we only got that out of three players and in both games the bench offered very little help. This was true both offensively and defensively in both games. Were still dealing with inconsistent performances in some games from either one player or the other. When all five of the top players play consistently Arkansas and Indiana we win and can compete with almost anybody we play.

Holly, arguably was a top 5 recruiter yr in yr out. 1 bad year, but a 1 player, 2 #2 players. In fact when fired we had 2 #2 recruits, collins was top 10, massengale, Davis teens to mid 20s, kasi was high, Rae was a Steal, Green was top 10, Key top 10, another 6ft5 project, Green solid transfer, hell, Kellie is sucking recruiting, motivating, assistants are mid major talent, and a spouce...dumb idea, not sure what you mean by past bad recruiting. Outside of SC any SEC would kill for Holly recruiting history, as would anyone but UCONN
5 class next year . 22 justine can shoot .rae impove under kellie. houstin the starting point is making few mistakes letting game come to her .the girl from spain is going pretty good. sally does not turn it over much. if tess gets over leg injury she shoot and good passer youtube of high school game she not on defence.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Disagree - this team is not amazing when they win. Huge gap between the best teams and this team. Limitations by many and lack of effort is remarkable. Not hating on the players - just an observation, Game awareness, time and situation, does remind me of middle-school ball games.
On target .^^^^^

So you can't be a successful coach if you have a relaxed personality? Mike Kryzyzewski says hold my beer. Rick Barnes says hold my holy water.
Excuse my poor phrasing, glv98. I failed to elaborate when I said Kellie had a relaxed personality. I really was comparing a disciple coach (Kellie) with a mentor coach(Pat Summitt), where the disciple emulates her mentor's coaching philosophy but does not have the personality or drive to emulate the mentor's ability to motivate players to excellence in court performance.

Apologies to Johnny if I misinterpret his comment, but it seems that he was describing the reactions of fair-weather fans who are more than happy to ride the bandwagon when we win but immediately bail out at the first sign of adversity.

We have lost two games we should have won by a combined 7 points. One was in overtime to a team who went on to utterly dismantle a ranked Texas team coached by a master motivator making far more money than Kellie. What was his problem that he couldn't get his team ready for WV?

There are many legitimate questions that have been raised about our sometimes puzzling game strategies. There are perplexing lapses from players who have pkayed brilliantly (or at least very proficiently) in other games. There are legitimate questions about recruiting.

We are inconsistent. So are other teams including some of the best in our league. This year's stop-and-start, cancellation-riddled schedule is wreaking havoc on many programs. Programs who are stockpiled with elite players are less likely to affected...just as ALA football is less affected by injuries, performance letdowns, etc. Most teams don't have that luxury. We sure don't this year.

The problems (aside from sheer natural coordination, height, or speed) are fixable (and even any natural shortcomings can be improved or compensated for). Kellie and this same staff were able to motivate a mid-major to the Sweet Sixteen, but it didn't happen overnight.

We have another game coming up in a few days. Then we can assess how tge coaches and team have responded. But we're going to see a lot of surprises both good and bad from a lot of teams this year.

Just ask Vic.
Good points creekdipper.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

hollie let the team play me ball . kellie is teaching team ball if notice marta sets picks i saw wall off defener so team drive for a layup. it does not matter if yyou are a 5 star if you do not play as team. marta has been wide open wanting the ball not get a pass. kellie is geting hollie players to play as team but you can still see hollie teaching in the players

Good points, Mudcat. I'm sure that, as you noted, the team is improving in those areas (sharing the ball, running an actual offense, etc.). It doesn't happen overnight, but it's happening. And informed observer s are also noticing, as evidenced by Kellie's COY nomination.

We are oh-so-tantalizingly close to being a Top Ten team again. We could be a two-loss team with a win over UConn (Of course, we won a few close ones, too, so it works both way). We could still move up the rankings again with some solid wins (tonight would be a great start). We got a bad break with Rennia being out against KY, but there are still opportunities left.

VN Store

Back