Marrone-Steele-Chaney

Ft.MyersVols

SIAP...been thinking about all the rumors out there. I've heard the idea of all of this being pre-orchestrated, but putting everything together based on rumors and innuendo, what do you think about this happening?

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

Is there any history with the 3 of them?

Someone out there PLEASE explain the fascination with Marrone! I do not understand it in the least. The dude has sucked in the NFL and was 25-25 at Syracuse, where is the love coming from?! This guy would be a complete disaster.

he's more than his win record if you do some research... plus Jax screwed him and his team

not near the top of my list... but we could do A LOT worse

he's more than his win record if you do some research... plus Jax screwed him and his team

not near the top of my list... but we could do A LOT worse
To steal words from John Adams: "TN has a history of choosing coaches who are losers on the field." So we shall see, but in the end that W/L Record is all that matters.

SIAP...been thinking about all the rumors out there. I've heard the idea of all of this being pre-orchestrated, but putting everything together based on rumors and innuendo, what do you think about this happening?

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

No-Memes-19.jpg

To steal words from John Adams: "TN has a history of choosing coaches who are losers on the field." So we shall see, but in the end that W/L Record is all that matters.

I agree with that... but a couple of things to keep an open mind about is an NFL head coach can tell recruits he knows what it takes to get them to the NFL and it's been reported before the Jax main office completely screwed him and their team so you can't go by his loss record there. he had no control of that unlike recruiting people in college

you have to have something to go from college to the NFL as a head coach - many good college coaches have failed in the NFL - Saban, Spurrier to name a few

Reactions: GoVols1972
I agree with that... but a couple of things to keep an open mind about is an NFL head coach can tell recruits he knows what it takes to get them to the NFL and it's been reported before the Jax main office completely screwed him and their team so you can't go by his loss record there. he had no control of that unlike recruiting people in college

you have to have something to go from college to the NFL as a head coach - many good college coaches have failed in the NFL - Saban, Spurrier to name a few
I see your point about the NFL, but all that's going to take is one good coach from an opposing team to say "Oh he told you that did he? Here let's look at his time spent in the NFL and you tell me if that looks like a coach who can evaluate NFL talent."

Marrone should be at towards the bottom of our list. If we fire JP and trot out Marrone, then we might as well all accept defeat, because that will tell me everyone we went after said no OR we didn't even do a quality search---and being Fulmer, my money would be on the latter.

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

Best indicator of a coach is his/her record:

Marrone was 25 and 25 at Syracuse while in the Big East - he was however only 11 and 17 in conference (losing conference record);

Marrone was 1 and 2 vs Butch Jones of all people;

Marrone was 38 and 60 in the NFL with with only 2 winning seasons out of 6 total seasons. He went 1 and 15 this past season!

Marrone would be a guy who would get fired after 3-4 seasons at UT.

In addition, he hasn't recruited in college in 20 years. He would be another bad hire, in a long line of them.

I see your point about the NFL, but all that's going to take is one good coach from an opposing team to say "Oh he told you that did he? Here let's look at his time spent in the NFL and you tell me if that looks like a coach who can evaluate NFL talent."

Marrone should be at towards the bottom of our list. If we fire JP and trot out Marrone, then we might as well all accept defeat, because that will tell me everyone we went after said no OR we didn't even do a quality search---and being Fulmer, my money would be on the latter.

yeah I don't how this is going to go... similar questions would happen if we roll out Chadwell. Looked awesome at Coastal but.... is he proven? Regardless of the HC chosen... he needs to be a leader, a CEO, an adult, good at pressers, and have a good staff behind him

Would be a solid, adult staff. Not exciting but would have us competing for the east.
Uh oh. I used the same “adult staff” comment describing this potential group and people thought they would roast me for It.

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

You misspelled Malzahn

Last edited:
Someone out there PLEASE explain the fascination with Marrone! I do not understand it in the least. The dude has sucked in the NFL and was 25-25 at Syracuse, where is the love coming from?! This guy would be a complete disaster.
The fascination is that his name has been floated and he was a candidate previously.

Lots of guys "suck" in the NFL. Saban and Spurrier sucked in the NFL. Sherman was good in the NFL... and sucked at TAM.

The failure with Jones is that few looked at the numbers behind the numbers. His record at Cincy was distorted because he played so many bad teams and good programs in down years. He was 4-8 at Cincy in the only year when most of his opponents finished with winning records.

The same goes for Marrone at Syracuse. He took over an absolutely awful program. They were 10-37 in the 4 years prior to him taking over. They were 17-31 in the 4 years after him. During that 12 year span they had 3 winning seasons... his second and 4th seasons plus the year after he left. Looking at program trajectory his team was 8-5 in his last season at Syracuse.... his team went from losing and frequently being uncompetitive to being competitive in every game they played even when badly overmatched from a talent standpoint.

In his 4 years, a train wreck of a program lost 3 games to non-bowl qualifiers.

I'm NOT saying he's my pick or even a good pick. I am saying that he likely would not be a "complete disaster" and that there are things that make him a "good", not great, candidate.

Also... his time in those two particular NFL franchises could uniquely prepare him for a dysfunctional football program and athletic department.

One significant note. In the two years prior to his arrival, Syracuse scored 16.4 ppg and 18.1 ppg. In his last year, they scored 30 ppg. If Pruitt were making that kind of progress we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited:
I don't know why there are 80 gazillion posts and rumors on the internetz about Doug Marrone, but I really hope they are 100% false.

Marrone did OK at Syracuse eons ago, but "OK at Syracuse" is not a hire that makes me enthusiastic.

This is also the guy who basically swindled Buffalo out of $4 million due to some weird clause in his contract that triggered when the owner died. Obviously, the Bills deserve some blame for giving him such a favorable clause, but it doesn't exactly speak highly of him either that he'd just walk away from a job like that. Marrone is probably more interested in the UT job for the buyout than the actual job.

VN Store

Back