East Tennessee Weather II

This thing is really over preforming. Depending on how much the temp drops this evening we could see some prominent snow showers around the area. I doubt it will happen but the back side had really filled in with a lot of available moisture.

Reactions: headhunter15
Alert!!!

If you're traveling tomorrow morning, be careful on the roads, as there could be patchy freezing fog that will lead to black ice and reduced visibility.

Alert!!!!!

FREEZING FOG ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS
MORNING...

* WHAT...Visibility less than one mile in freezing fog.

* WHERE...Portions of east Tennessee, southwest Virginia and
southwest North Carolina.

* WHEN...Until 10 AM EST this morning.

* IMPACTS...Hazardous driving conditions due to low visibility and
potential frost on bridges.

Looks like it is going to get real cold toward the end of the month. As our luck, looks like we won’t sniff any moisture.

Heads up!

Another round of patchy dense freezing fog is likely tomorrow morning. Be very careful on the roads and especially bridges.

Hey VK and RT, has the chance of the polar vortex making its way to the eastern US just evaporated? A couple of weeks ago, the news was saying the last week of Jan. into Feb.

Hey VK and RT, has the chance of the polar vortex making its way to the eastern US just evaporated? A couple of weeks ago, the news was saying the last week of Jan. into Feb.
I'm not sure there was really any strong indication that it was going to happen. I've been expecting a warmup late January into February. Best teleconnection patterns for cold locally was at the end of December and early January. That's not to say that we can't have some cold snaps, but the teleconnections aren't really favoring a strong intrusion of lasting cold air into the SE CONUS right now. Overall, I'd say February is looking more likely of being above normal for the month across East Tennessee.

I'm not sure there was really any strong indication that it was going to happen. I've been expecting a warmup late January into February. Best teleconnection patterns for cold locally was at the end of December and early January. That's not to say that we can't have some cold snaps, but the teleconnections aren't really favoring a strong intrusion of lasting cold air into the SE CONUS right now. Overall, I'd say February is looking more likely of being above normal for the month across East Tennessee.

Great. Was hoping for a couple of more snow days. Our luck it’ll be flood days like the last couple of years.

Great. Was hoping for a couple of more snow days. Our luck it’ll be flood days like the last couple of years.
We could definitely have some more snow opportunities through February, but I don't see any real long term cold air setting up in the next couple weeks. The thing to keep in mind is that as we get into February, it becomes more difficult to accumulate snow during the daytime hours. The additional solar radiation making it to the surface is comparable to late October. I definitely don't want the flooding, and at least at this point, we're near or slightly below normal for rainfall.

As for me, I'm ready for some warmer weather and sunshine. April is probably one of my favorite months of the year.

Yeah think significant snow for the East Tennessee mountains and the higher elevations of NE TN and SW VA. Lighter totals across lower elevations of NE TN, SW VA, and the Cumberland Plateau. Really doubt we get much in the valley around Knoxville.
snku_acc.us_state_ky_tn.png

Yeah think significant snow for the East Tennessee mountains and the higher elevations of NE TN and SW VA. Lighter totals across lower elevations of NE TN, SW VA, and the Cumberland Plateau. Really doubt we get much in the valley around Knoxville.
snku_acc.us_state_ky_tn.png

This is the winter of just missing. It seems like all winter we’ve had plenty of moisture but that moisture brings warmer air and we’ve been just warm enough to avoid big snow in the valley. If we ever do get a shot of cold air that meets one of these systems then look out! Wishful thinking I’m sure but we are certainly due a big snow in the valley.

So what’s the deal with this thing? It’s weird. The hourly forecast and the radar looks like there’s zero chance of snow in the valley and there doesn’t appear to be any wrap around moisture so what’s going on with this system? Is more moisture supposed to develop on the back side?

Meteorologists are laying eggs this winter

View attachment 346120
It's a tough, humbling job, especially in the winter with respect to the Tennessee Valley. Higher elevations nearly always have the higher chances of seeing some snow. Looked like the NE valley may get some with enough upper jet dynamics, but it just didn't materialize.

Reactions: davethevol
It's a tough, humbling job, especially in the winter with respect to the Tennessee Valley. Higher elevations nearly always have the higher chances of seeing some snow. Looked like the NE valley may get some with enough upper jet dynamics, but it just didn't materialize.
I just wish Knox County had waited to push school back 2 hours. They waited until the morning before with systems much more organized than this. Their inconsistency is fascinating.

Reactions: MetVol

VN Store

Back