College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

He was ranked above Springer and Johnson
Yep. He was also a preseason 1st team All-SEC. He averages almost 13 ppg, but it comes on almost 13 shots per game, too.

For comparison, Springer averages 10 ppg on 6.6 shots per game. Johnson averages 8.5 ppg on 6.6 shots per game. Perhaps a bit liberal use of the transitive property, but those two guys would average close to 20 and 17 on the same number of attempts.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Yup, my fault. I was thinking this was his third season, for whatever reason. I still think they underperformed their talent level last year, but they did have some weird pieces that didn’t really gel. They have consistently looked like the best team in the league so far this year, although I’m certain it won’t last long shooting 30 threes a game lol
LB3-DB3

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Bama isn't going to hit 14 3s with such efficiency very often. Fortunate to win tonight with the outstanding shooting effort without Quinerly, Jones, and Bruner for all or parts of the game. If they are missing those 3 for any length of time, the law of averages if gonna catch up to them and they will drop a couple.

I dont expect us to win every single remaining SEC game, but Alabama is keeping the pressure on to do so if we wabt a chance at being reg season Champs. Aside from Auburn, they've beaten every SEC opponent by double digits...geeze, we finally get a good team and one loss could cost us.
The only games that matter happen in the last week of February and on into March.
Edit. The standings and seedings do matter also. I imagine it will play out fairly. I trust SEC officiating.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Bama isn't going to hit 14 3s with such efficiency very often. Fortunate to win tonight with the outstanding shooting effort without Quinerly, Jones, and Bruner for all or parts of the game. If they are missing those 3 for any length of time, the law of averages if gonna catch up to them and they will drop a couple.
They shot 45% on 2ptfg which is still good, shoot 33% from 3 and they still won by 8...I get they were hot and that’s why they won by 20, but they also were able to drive it all night against UK and get the looks they wanted, much like they did against us.

They shot 45% on 2ptfg which is still good, shoot 33% from 3 and they still won by 8...I get they were hot and that’s why they won by 20, but they also were able to drive it all night against UK and get the looks they wanted, much like they did against us.
Kentucky was awful defensively, turned it over 19 times, and shot 34% overall. Heck, they were outscored by 30 from the 3-pt line, alone. Like you said, it was a lot like our game with them where Bama was hot and UK played their worst game in three weeks.

Reactions: berryvol
Kentucky was awful defensively, turned it over 19 times, and shot 34% overall. Heck, they were outscored by 30 from the 3-pt line, alone. Like you said, it was a lot like our game with them where Bama was hot and UK played their worst game in three weeks.
They failed to lock down Petty. That's a ten point swing right there. 44% from three. Un frickin' believable. At least we got our target in the tournament.

So, when am I allowed to start being worried about Alabama? I was worried last week and people told me I shouldn’t be and that Alabama isn’t going to win the conference and that they’ll drop some games soon because they’re 3-point percentage won’t stay this high forever...

Well, they’re now 4-0 in conference play and they have steam rolled teams by consistently shooting the 3-ball at a high rate. It really sucks we only get one game against them in an unbalanced schedule. It’s putting a lot of pressure on our team to be near perfect the rest of the season. Who knows, maybe that’s a good thing if the Vols feel like they are chasing and not being chased.

So, when am I allowed to start being worried about Alabama? I was worried last week and people told me I shouldn’t be and that Alabama isn’t going to win the conference and that they’ll drop some games soon because they’re 3-point percentage won’t stay this high forever...

Well, they’re now 4-0 in conference play and they have steam rolled teams by consistently shooting the 3-ball at a high rate. It really sucks we only get one game against them in an unbalanced schedule. It’s putting a lot of pressure on our team to be near perfect the rest of the season. Who knows, maybe that’s a good thing if the Vols feel like they are chasing and not being chased.
Will be interesting to see how long they are without their 3 starters who either missed or got injured in the UK game. Quinerly, Jones, and Bruner represent their #3, 4, and 6 leading scorers, their #1, and 3 rebounders, and their #1 in assists.

Quinerly has missed 3 straight games with a medical condition (nonspecific), Oats says that Jones's hand isn't broken, but he is going to be out for a while, and Bruner's knee injury looked worse. He could put no pressure on it and had to be assisted to the bench and later to the locker room by two trainers.

If they miss significant time, that has to catch up to them. Tennessee is one of only 2 SEC teams to catch them at full strength. Imagine us losing Pons, Bailey, and Keon Johnson for a period of time. That is what Bama is facing. If they can weather that storm, then we just have to admit that they are just really good. I had them in my top 5 coming into the season and they have surpassed that. Oats can coach and they have plenty of talent.

Uhhh......now. They basicly are two games ahead of us and who knows how many conference games are gonna get played.

I dont expect us to win every single remaining SEC game, but Alabama is keeping the pressure on to do so if we wabt a chance at being reg season Champs. Aside from Auburn, they've beaten every SEC opponent by double digits...geeze, we finally get a good team and one loss could cost us.
71-63 against us

No offense, but where have you been? We won the SEC three years ago, finished 2nd the following year, had a down year last season, and were picked to win it this year. We've had a good team.

I guess maybe I care less about standings than others, what does finishing 1st verse 2nd matter big picture? If we lose 1 game and it’s to Bama and that costs us 1st place big whoop, we would be a 1 seed in the NCAAT.

Uhhh......now. They basicly are two games ahead of us and who knows how many conference games are gonna get played.
The head to head tiebreaker is only used for the purpose of seeding in the SEC tournament. If UT and Bama tie for the best record in SEC play, they will be recognized as regular season co-champions.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I guess maybe I care less about standings than others, what does finishing 1st verse 2nd matter big picture? If we lose 1 game and it’s to Bama and that costs us 1st place big whoop, we would be a 1 seed in the NCAAT.
I agree with you, I want to win the SEC tourney (if they even have it) and I want to make a Final Four!

The head to head tiebreaker is only used for the purpose of seeding in the SEC tournament. If UT and Bama tie for the best record in SEC play, they will be recognized as regular season co-champions.
Good point but I would personally like an outright championship this time.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No offense, but where have you been? We won the SEC three years ago, finished 2nd the following year, had a down year last season, and were picked to win it this year. We've had a good team.

Ok, maybe I failed to say that it's our first really good year with UK being down. We had to share the SEC title with LSU that one year, so it feels less like a true win. It feels like we should have more to show for our time with Barnes.

With UK being down, the SEC should, theoretically, be an easy path to a regular season championship for a preseason top team. But one loss and now Alabama is running the table.

They were hot for a reason. Their offense yields lay ups and wide open threes.

VN Store

Back