Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me another team that underperformed as badly as UT did that recruits and spends at UTs level?

Or maybe the Georgia State game wasn't a fluke?
Taking emotion out of it...... the roster Pruitt took over was the worst it had ever been at UT..... the Georgia state loss was horrible but I admire the team for fighting back to win 8 games... I felt like we were doing a good job flipping the roster but the younger players did not have a chance to develop due to cancelled spring and UTK ridiculous covid rules.... the season started up fine enough with two victories and a good first half versus Georgia.... JG’s melt down was the main reason for the crash and burn of the rest of the season....JP didn’t feel like Harrison was ready and started Sunday night scrimmages to get him ready...... I view this past season as a throw away season..... you are free to dwell on it if you prefer but I felt like he deserved a fourth year to prove whether or not he can get it done.... I felt like patience given the circumstances was a better choice instead of having to re do the roster every few years.

The Hire of Steele does a few things to narrow the field.

If you make a change it gives the kids someone to believe is worth stick around for and he can keep things from going to hell. This assuming we are idiots and don’t have someone lined up. Also keeps some transfers you like from making quick decision elsewhere and maybe hold on to hope longer with them.

If a change is made, it narrows the field of replacements of who is likely in the short list. You can definitely count Gus out. I think someone here said Steele would also mean no Chadwell. It also means no Napier since that appeared to be an issue he had with Auburn was forcing staff in him.

Freeze/Steele Combo would do well but we are too scared to hire Freeze.

Herman while I have no clue if he would want this job I could see being accepting of Steele. I don’t think he would be adamant about any DC in particular since Orlando went to USC last yr when Herman was talked into making a change. Maybe he would want Ash but I think he would do good to have a Steele to help with recruiting connections and a guy that has successfully called defense with a tempo offense coach.

Marrone definitely would be good with Steele and Garner.

It sure does seem to be lining up to be Marrone though. You can keep Chaney/Tee/JG/Osovet and hire a OL coach. Let Steele hire Defensive staff and you likely don’t lose much in transfers or recruiting

I can buy all this. If/when Steele is officially announced, I would bet the mortgage it will end up some combination of the above or Pruitt stays.

I'm gitty over the thought of a Freeze/Steele combo, but as you said, it won't happen.

Reactions: UTopia
LONG time lurker, as much as I hate to add to the rumor mongering here is something from Tiger Droppings that may be of interest. No idea if true, Marrone + Steele + Lebby??

Tiger Droppings
Every time I read other message boards I'm reminded of how truly spoiled we are with what we have. If our AD was half as with it as @Freak we'd be feasting every year!

Last edited:
Every tim
LONG time lurker, as much as I hate to add to the rumor mongering here is something from Tiger Droppings that may be of interest. No idea if true, Marrone + Steele + Lebby??

Tiger Droppings
Every time I look at another board, it makes me appreciate how well VN is laid out even more.

Here’s an idea. Let’s hire someone everybody hates and nobody gets on the spring/summer hype train with (like we homers always seem to do). Maybe then, instead of convincing ourselves we have “the one” this time and being utterly disappointed once again, we have zero faith in the new hire and SLOWLY grow to love him because he wins games and puts us back in our rightful place of glory!

Haven't seen this posted yet, it's from
Byron Jerideau's Twitter

ErjvAIWXYAQRK2h

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back