How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

The only thing I don’t like about the way things currently are is that if Tennessee were to win the east and make it to the SEC champ game and then play for a NC there is a strong chance they would have to beat Alabama twice in a season. That’s asking a lot of any program.

T for Tennessee..

T for Traditions.

Both of those DO matter!

It's one of the greatest CFB rivalries ever and should never stop.

Back in the good old days we WON against the gumps 10 years out of 12 and I may not live to see those Winning days return but they WILL return.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 12 Monkeys
Itś not Bamaś fault UT has been down.

Some of our 90- 04 teams could have beaten some of these Bama teams.
I mean to say, we have had elite talent at Tennessee. Thereś nothing that says there cant be a powerhouse Alabama AND powerhouse Tennessee.

I truly believe Saban has 5 more great years, and maybe 7 in total. When he leaves after that, gives no guarantees that The Vols will suddenly resurrect...
Need to lose the gap on everyone else first...

Man the only 90s team that would have a chance in this Era of football is 95 Nebraska and even as great as they were for that time I believe they would have a hard time winning it all with the way the game and rules have changed. The SEC does have room for 2 powerhouses but we're way behind LSU, Georgia and Florida and Jimbo is building A&M up. It'll be several years before we can overcome just those teams if not a decade no matter who our coach is. Meyer or Belichick isn't walking thru that door and those schools can throw a rock out the door and hit a 5 star.

I think the SEC should drop the permanent cross division games for all SEC teams and just go to a rotation like they do for the other non-permanent games. TN is at a big disadvantage to winning the East having to play AL every season. As Spurrier said about the TN-FL rivalry; Its not a rivalry when the same team wins most of the time. Apply same logic to TN-AL. No reason to keep it.

I want us to play bama, not playing them sends a signal, we can never beat them. We can, we are only a good qb away from being very competitive with them now.
I really wish I could agree with you on this. After watching the NC game though it was crystal clear to me we are nowhere near where we need to be to compete on that level. Just based on OL and DL play alone they are so much more physical and dominant up front and that in and of itself puts us way behind the power curve. Not to mention their speed on both sides of the ball. That is one of the most complete teams I've ever seen and it isn't close. I detest Bama with every fiber of my being and I hate saying these things. But the first step in the road to recovery is admitting you have a problem and we definitely have a problem, and it's a problem that cannot be rectified with the current coaching and athletic department regime.

Last edited:
Built in disadvantage. We are the only SEC East team that has to play Bama ever year.

Either do away with divisions and rotate every team through the schedule, or keep divisions and rotate all opponents.

Reactions: VolNExile
I’m all for ending this series and I’m also starting to think we should leave the SEC and head to the ACC . Flame away at me for saying that I don’t care it’s pretty evident we can’t compete in the SEC anymore getting blown out by a mediocre Kentucky team this season proves it. Our administration has devalued our football team to be of a run of the mill ACC team. I actually think we would fit in the ACC pretty well we are a basketball school now anyway.

When it comes to sports, I've always been somewhat of a traditionalist, but since every game against Bama has been an automatic loss for us and an automatic win for them for quite a while now and will be for the foreseeable future, I'd like to see a change. If we ever rise to their leve

I’m all for ending this series and I’m also starting to think we should leave the SEC and head to the ACC . Flame away at me for saying that I don’t care it’s pretty evident we can’t compete in the SEC anymore getting blown out by a mediocre Kentucky team this season proves it. Our administration has devalued our football team to be of a run of the mill ACC team. I actually think we would fit in the ACC pretty well we are a basketball school now anyway.

Conference USA. Cincinnati and Central Florida would blow our doors off right now.

Reactions: loservol
I think the SEC should drop the permanent cross division games for all SEC teams and just go to a rotation like they do for the other non-permanent games. TN is at a big disadvantage to winning the East having to play AL every season. As Spurrier said about the TN-FL rivalry; Its not a rivalry when the same team wins most of the time. Apply same logic to TN-AL. No reason to keep it.
But we can’t beat Florida and Georgia either they are both about to put some long win streaks on us already at 4 and counting now.

If you want to compete for and win the SEC then you have to be able to beat them. The path goes thru Tuscaloser so suck it up buttercup if we get beat then we need to get better.

TN has the second best football tradition in the SEC......the gumps are first.....we can't drop them for arkansas or state.
We have to return to excellence, not duck opponents

Even with the way the series has been going, I can't stand the thought of not playing Alabama every year.

I'm surprised that a lot of the UT fans I work with are ready to throw in the towel and would like to see a different West opponent.

Your thoughts?
to be the man ya gotta beat the man

Yes, we should keep playing them. It makes a great contrast between excellence and mediocrity.

How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

Uh...nope...believe it or not...traditions MEAN something.
The overall series is Alabama 58-37. I don't think it means that much when one team is 20 games better than the other

VN Store

Back