Its being rumored that Marrone has been chosen.

Caldwell and Freeze are such no Brainers that it seems insane to me that anyone would consider Marrone over them. It seems about 99% more likely Doug Marrone would not work over a guy who made Coastal Carolina number 12 in the country just a few years into being an FBS team and a guy who did basically the same with Liberty, plus beating Bama twice with Ole Miss. Marrone is a safer pick maybe? Its a conservative pick. I cant imagine any other program that would be capable of ignoring Freeze and Caldwell for Doug Marrone.

How could those two guys be counter to UT's culture? Or is it counter to the way Philip Fulmer thinks? Lots of people want Fulmer gone, but how much do we really know what kind of person Fulmer is?
You meant Chadwell, right?

You're asking questions I can't answer. I'm just talking "what ifs". I don't know who within the AD has the major influence on culture. I do suspect that person or those people have survived all of the coaching and AD changes. So it is a person or people who have impact well beyond their "rank". It could be a person or people who serve as informants so boosters or donors outside the program can maintain control. I really don't know. Just guessing based on things I've seen create a toxic culture.

This probably won't be popular and I would support the hire if made... but Chadwell is every bit as much a risk as Marrone. He had a great year this year but let's be honest... this was a weird year. Some were hurt by Covid and a few were beneficiaries.

Freeze is as close to a "sure thing" as there is on the market but again culture could turn into a problem. There are now pretty open suggestions that Fulmer meddled quite a bit with Pruitt. Would he stay out of Freeze's business? How do you capitalize on Fulmer as a recruiting asset while letting a coach build their own program. There simply aren't any guarantees when it comes to hiring football coaches. I can remember being bummed out that UT didn't get Kevin Sumlin. He looked like a sure thing.

It is important to remember that Fulmer said not long before he was fired that "we've won a lot of games around here doin' what we're doin'... and we ain't changin' now". If you want to understand why Pruitt is so "old school"... you might want to consider what Fulmer's influence is. I am certain that's why Fulmer fell in love with Pruitt as a candidate. So Marrone is likely the more comfortable hire for Fulmer... while Freeze would require Fulmer to be "hands off".

So in two posts you have heard credible information that:

- Pruitt has been fired
- Doug Marrone has been hired to replace him
- Jamey Chadwell would have come and...
- His QB Grayson McCall would have come with him as a package deal.

Seems legit.

Well I see the logic. Make up enough “information” and maybe something actually becomes reality. Then claim insider status confirmed!

You meant Chadwell, right?

You're asking questions I can't answer. I'm just talking "what ifs". I don't know who within the AD has the major influence on culture. I do suspect that person or those people have survived all of the coaching and AD changes. So it is a person or people who have impact well beyond their "rank". It could be a person or people who serve as informants so boosters or donors outside the program can maintain control. I really don't know. Just guessing based on things I've seen create a toxic culture.

This probably won't be popular and I would support the hire if made... but Chadwell is every bit as much a risk as Marrone. He had a great year this year but let's be honest... this was a weird year. Some were hurt by Covid and a few were beneficiaries.

Freeze is as close to a "sure thing" as there is on the market but again culture could turn into a problem. There are now pretty open suggestions that Fulmer meddled quite a bit with Pruitt. Would he stay out of Freeze's business? How do you capitalize on Fulmer as a recruiting asset while letting a coach build their own program. There simply aren't any guarantees when it comes to hiring football coaches. I can remember being bummed out that UT didn't get Kevin Sumlin. He looked like a sure thing.

It is important to remember that Fulmer said not long before he was fired that "we've won a lot of games around here doin' what we're doin'... and we ain't changin' now". If you want to understand why Pruitt is so "old school"... you might want to consider what Fulmer's influence is. I am certain that's why Fulmer fell in love with Pruitt as a candidate. So Marrone is likely the more comfortable hire for Fulmer... while Freeze would require Fulmer to be "hands off".
Any coach that takes the position should demand that Fulmer is barred from the football complex, period. But the easy solution is to just go ahead and fire Fulmer.

I detect a hint of non blue footed sarcasm the LF. I think its hilarious too that people still try to tow the old “Saban failed in the NFL”. In 2 years he was 15-17. Not great but by NFL standards it’s decent. Had he stayed on as Dolphins HC he may have been an abysmal failure but I doubt it . We’ll never know because Saban decided , with the help of Mal Moore , that he was better suited for the college game . I wish he would have decided to stick around the NFL a little while longer and been successful. The college game now sucks for pretty much everybody that is not a fan of either Clemson, Ohio state, or Alabama. Yes that also includes the delusional Georgia fans.

I commit to blue font in the future.

Reactions: Jravol78
Any coach that takes the position should demand that Fulmer is barred from the football complex, period. But the easy solution is to just go ahead and fire Fulmer.
Easy solution... and also the worst of all.

You can't bar him. But it has to be someone who he respects as an "equal". Cut succeeded where others failed as Fulmer's OC. Cut was smarter than Fulmer. He stayed ahead of him. He managed and outmaneuvered Fulmer. Maybe Freeze would be like that... I doubt Chadwell would be. Marrone would be but I'm not sure how much they differ in philosophy.

Reactions: sonofUT62 and McDad
You are starting to sound like that guy who was worshipping Schiano before we kept his ass out of Knoxville...You must be a relative of Marrone because nobody here is honestly buying your "Oh he's the greatest thing since sliced bread act."

You can kick rocks for all I give a damn pal...

And your proof that this offense will take the SEC by storm is ???

I can’t prove that it will take the SEC by storm. But it used 1AA talent to beat 2 teams that beat UT last year PLUS App State, Troy, Georgia Southern, and a UL team that beat Iowa State. Also took Freeze all the way to the wire.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Easy solution... and also the worst of all.

You can't bar him. But it has to be someone who he respects as an "equal". Cut succeeded where others failed as Fulmer's OC. Cut was smarter than Fulmer. He stayed ahead of him. He managed and outmaneuvered Fulmer. Maybe Freeze would be like that... I doubt Chadwell would be. Marrone would be but I'm not sure how much they differ in philosophy.

That might be the benefit of a Steele hire. Someone who Fulmer respects enough to keep his chubby hands out of the pie.

FWIW, winning in the NFL takes more than a HC. It is organizational. So how good are the two organizations he worked with? I almost never watch the NFL and have not followed it for a while.

Interesting that a CFB HC with a 25-25 record would get an NFL gig. A lot you can read into that positive or negative. Syracuse isn't a particularly easy place to win. His record was 25-25. They were 10-37 in the 4 years prior to him. They were 18-31 in the 4 years after him. They had 3 winning seasons in that 12 year span. Two were his and one was the season immediately after he left.

NFL is at least 50% about the QB position and whether you have one of the 10-12 guys that afford you the ability to win. College is too, but the competition is such that you should be able to develop a QB who can do it. Those that can, win. Much more variation in QB than, say, Running backs, or O-Lines, or even defenses in both college and the pro game. This explains most of our troubles since Clausen. Even a coach as incompetent as Butch was passable with a talent like Dobbs at the helm. Marrone's record at Jacksonville doesn't mean a ton to me. I need to look closer at what went on while he was at Syracuse. There was upward trajectory but context matters.

Reactions: sjt18
I can’t prove that it will take the SEC by storm. But it used 1AA talent to beat 2 teams that beat UT last year PLUS App State, Troy, Georgia Southern, and a UL team that beat Iowa State. Also took Freeze all the way to the wire.
If Pruitt is fired and he is hired nobody will want him to be successful more than me. It’s just my opinion that teams like Vandy, and say Kansas should be running offenses like this that can sneak up on people if not prepared, but will never be in contention to win their conferences. Maybe we have fallen to that level, it’s just hard to admit.

Any substantiation to this? I hope not

1-13 2020. We have two guys begging for the job and they’d both be home runs. We have the ball teed up and we will still screw it up. Stupidest University, athletic department and boosters in NCAA.

WTF are we doing with Steele?

At this point any change is good. I'm willing to give just about anyone a chance to get the Rube out of here.

So in two posts you have heard credible information that:

- Pruitt has been fired
- Doug Marrone has been hired to replace him
- Jamey Chadwell would have come and...
- His QB Grayson McCall would have come with him as a package deal.

Seems legit.

I didn't hear a damn thing. I read it.

VN Store

Back