Roster for Next Year vs Transfer

brentcontractor

In review of the current roster, the players that have fully transferred (found landing spot) have been removed from the roster. (https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster) The players that have said they are transferring or going to the NFL are still on roster. Some of the seniors will stay and some of those on transfer will stay if right staff is finalized. Conclusion: I counted 71 scholarship players still on roster. (note: could be off depending on scholarship/walkon) We will sign 25 new players or transfers. This will give us 96 players. We can only have 85. That is 11 over. Remove Thompson, Chandler, Morris, Smith, Akporoghene. That still leaves 6 more to get to 85. Sky is not falling yet. We need to get out of limbo.

I find it hard to believe that the extra year allowed by covid would count against the 85. Was that a factor in your calculation?

Reactions: Bret178
To me, number of scholarship players means nothing but the number allowed. What really matters is the level of experience and ability of those players on team.

I find it hard to believe that the extra year allowed by covid would count against the 85. Was that a factor in your calculation?
Good point. My count is based on all 71 currently on roster including 11 seniors. If you subtract the 11 from 71 and add 25, we would have 85 max plus whatever senior stays.

In review of the current roster, the players that have fully transferred (found landing spot) have been removed from the roster. (https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster) The players that have said they are transferring or going to the NFL are still on roster. Some of the seniors will stay and some of those on transfer will stay if right staff is finalized. Conclusion: I counted 71 scholarship players still on roster. (note: could be off depending on scholarship/walkon) We will sign 25 new players or transfers. This will give us 96 players. We can only have 85. That is 11 over. Remove Thompson, Chandler, Morris, Smith, Akporoghene. That still leaves 6 more to get to 85. Sky is not falling yet. We need to get out of limbo.

So, UT will be able to field a team?

AKA, maybe this thinning out of players came from some critical conversations between Coaches and players....they had a choice, get on board or off.

The seniors from last season that choose to come back do not count towards the 85 has been my understanding. Is this incorrect?

There would be no way for programs that aren't in chaos to remain 85 or under with the addition of incoming signee's.

Last edited:
Reactions: coachjp6
If Pruitt is fired, who leaves?
Who does the new guy get in transfers?
If Pruitt somehow stays, who leaves?
Then, who can he get under the cloud of uncertainty?

Its gonna be a little bit before projected rosters are useful.

We have mid level talent in the SEC.
7-8 wins is the ceiling
Regardless of who is HC, the roster will not be able to compete with the big 3
Had we enjoyed 4 cupcakes this year and a crap BIG team in a bowl we might have reached our ceiling. The all SEC schedule shows where we really stand. At the bottom. Winning some and losing some against the other ****** conference teams.

Reactions: turnuptheVOLtage
AKA, maybe this thinning out of players came from some critical conversations between Coaches and players....they had a choice, get on board or off.

So, was that the players telling that to the coaches, and some of them didn't like their answer?

The seniors from last season that choose to come back do not count towards the 85 has been my understanding. Is this incorrect?

There would be no way for programs that aren't in chaos to remain 85 or under with the addition of incoming signee's.

My understanding is that everyone gets another year of eligibility. This would play out till their eligibility runs out. Assume eligibility applies to the player not the school, so if you leave you take that with you. Keeping seniors that are border line NFL prospects is even more critical.

As I typed the above, I am realizing that there will still have to be some type of cap and higher than 85. Or they may have to just do away with the cap for 3 -4 years until the current freshman class completes. The current signees will not get that extra year automatically. They would be the 1st group with a cap back to 85??? Not sure there is a fair way to do this.

It’s hard to imagine more than 3-4-5 wins max with the talent on board...... it is what it is, unfortunately

Last edited:
My understanding is that everyone gets another year of eligibility. This would play out till their eligibility runs out. Assume eligibility applies to the player not the school, so if you leave you take that with you. Keeping seniors that are border line NFL prospects is even more critical.

As I typed the above, I am realizing that there will still have to be some type of cap and higher than 85. Or they may have to just do away with the cap for 3 -4 years until the current freshman class completes. The current signees will not get that extra year automatically. They would be the 1st group with a cap back to 85??? Not sure there is a fair way to do this.

I'm pretty sure the rule for next season ONLY is that scholarships have to remain under 85 except for the players using an additional last year of eligibility. For next year, there isn't a cap on that.....

I have no idea what happens after next season....

That I don't doubt. However, the fact it took three years to figure out who these players were is concerning.

I can relate, I try very hard to turn staff around vs. terminating, it has not always worked, but I tried. As fans, a lot of reality has been dumped on our laps for the past 13 years. 1. It is not easy to find any HC worth his pay 2. 4* and 5* Players are not always as good as advertised 4. Some 3* players are 5* 5. UT should have been out of the basement of the SEC 10 years ago.

I don't know why all of this has happened, but I point toward what successful HCs want as a fair salary without any guarantees. Only in sports that you can't fire someone who sucks, without paying out their contract, what does that say about any university? Salary requirements in College Football should be capped and be mainly performance-based, with a percentage guarantee if goals are not met within a time frame (3 years). Coaches like Saban are at the center of these inflated salary issues universities and colleges are paying out. The Presidents need to sit down and come up with a solution or at least the Power 5.

The 85 limit will not be suspended only for 2021. As of now, it will be reinstated in 2022. Those who will not see the field or wanted to start and will not start, ar looking for a place where they might get a chance to play this Fall. Best to face the problem this year instead next year.

We have mid level talent in the SEC.
7-8 wins is the ceiling
Regardless of who is HC, the roster will not be able to compete with the big 3
Had we enjoyed 4 cupcakes this year and a crap BIG team in a bowl we might have reached our ceiling. The all SEC schedule shows where we really stand. At the bottom. Winning some and losing some against the other ****** conference teams.
We've recently dropped a lot of dead weight. The quality of talent overall is far better now.

We still need to close really strong on February signing day.
Need to find another explosive perimeter player.

Vols will have many walk-on players, because they need bodies
Just a little different from Bama, Georgia, Florida

VN Store

Back