Poll: What Kind of Coach are you Looking For?

What kind of coach are you looking for?

• CEO

• Offensive Minded

• Defensive Minded

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheGuy

Just wanted to get a scope of what everyone was thinking.

Examples of non-Candidate CEO HCs: Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Jimbo Fisher, Brian Kelly, Mack Brown
Examples of Candidate CEO HCs: Matt Campbell, Tom Herman (I contemplated Offensive minded), Jeff Fisher (or any NFL guy)

Examples of Non-Candidate Offensive Minded HCs: Dan Mullen, Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley
Examples of Candidate Offensive Minded HCs: Hugh Freeze, Jamey Chadwell, Billy Napier, Gus Malzahn

Examples of Non-Candidate Defensive Minded HCs: Kirby Smart, Tom Allen, Pat Fitzgerald
Examples of Candidate Defensive Minded HCs: Luke Fickell, Brent Venables

I know I'll get kickback on this but let me know what you think.

My Wants? Simply put: A defensive minded coach who is not defensive in his personality, with an on field offensiveness that can exhibit the persona of a winner without cheating in championship level recruiting. Simple, really!

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and tbh
A guy that up date our offense. I truly believe if you up date and fix the offense everything else will follow. In today game offense creates confidence. Look at Oklahoma they can't play defense to save there life but because of that offense they believe no matter what every time they step on the field they can win because of there offense. Now I am not saying that I wanna be just like Oklahoma as a whole but I would love to have a guy that could bring us a offense like that. That is why I want Hugh Freeze or Tom Herman because they have proved no matter where they have they can put explosive offenses centered around the QB and that is today game even in the SEC.

It's an offensive game now. An offensive minded CEO that can establish an offensive identity that stays with the program regardless of OC would be my choice but a true CEO is more important. Saban has established a new offensive identity that has stayed at Bama and Stoops did the same at Oklahoma even though they are defensive minded coaches because they understand their roles as the CEO along with the bigger picture.

I know he’s a never mentioned name, though he’s the second highest paid OC in the NFL, still alive in the NFL playoffs...would also remind Salter and the Transfer are both dual threat QB’s...Greg Roman.

Reactions: coachjp6
Because he will not be hired here.

Well that wasn’t the question.

Not sure I saw........”what coach will be hired here.”

It was: what kind “I” am looking for.
Well it’s a “fact” that I would be looking for Freeze........it just wasn’t an option.

Well that wasn’t the question.

Not sure I saw........”what coach will be hired here.”

It was: what kind “I” am looking for.
Well it’s a “fact” that I would be looking for Freeze........it just wasn’t an option.
Fair enough. I would like for Saban to decide he wanted a new challenge and come to UT. I don’t post about it because it will not happen. I offer the same advice for those who continuously post about Freeze coaching here.

Jimbo Fisher has been one of the best offensive minds in CFB the last 10 years, so I'd probably switch him to the offensive minded HC category.

I don't ever remember a year that he gave up play calling duties to a figure head OC he's promoted. If he did with the success he's had, Randy Sanders probably wouldn't be coaching at ETSU right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonofUT62
It's an offensive game now. An offensive minded CEO that can establish an offensive identity that stays with the program regardless of OC would be my choice but a true CEO is more important. Saban has established a new offensive identity that has stayed at Bama and Stoops did the same at Oklahoma even though they are defensive minded coaches because they understand their roles as the CEO along with the bigger picture.
Their ability (Saban in particular) to recognize that the game was changing and then not only adapt to it, but dominate it is what separates Saban from others. Most coaches will stick to their tried and true methods, but the great ones aren’t afraid to get out of their comfort zone. Part of the reason why we only have one National Title under Phil.

Reactions: Birdie
I want a combination of all three. On one hand I feel like you have to have an offense that can at least put up 35 points a game to have a chance to win. On another hand I know that you must have a decent to good defense that can get you 3-5 stops a game. And on my third hand I know that a good CEO coach knows he has to find good OC/DC and let them do their job while he rubs shoulders with the boosters and motivates the team.

I guess I just really want to win no matter what kind of coach we have. If I could only pick one then it would probably be the CEO coach.

Doesn't matter who we hire, the morons that run this s*** show will screw it up. I don't believe that even Lord Saban could change the trajectory of this extinction level asteroid strike

Reactions: ftsandersvol
Tennessee needs to hire the best available coach who knows offense. Power 5 is all about the offense.
It appears that offenses are beginning to rule college football. However, Alabama and Ohio State the have very good offenses. The difference last night, was Alabama's defense was able to stop Ohio State's offense. Clemson, could not stop their offense and their offense could not adjust to Ohio State's defense. Alabama seems to be in a class of their own and I think they will be the same next year.

VN Store

Back