Marvin West on the problem we are in

That last little bit at the end of the article makes me chuckle a bit; to think that a few years back, quite a few people were concerned that Alabama would lure Pruitt back...these days, it would be quite a blessing if he left of his own accord (whether the destination is Tuscaloosa or a cushy mid-management job at Hargraves Potted Meats).

Marvin West has summed up the problems with the UT athletic department that has developed over the past several years. Now it is time for the UT leadership including Coach Fulmer to get the investigation finished and take immediate action to correct the situation even if it results in removing Coach Pruitt with cause and move on. If this investigation takes more time than the next two weeks and Pruitt is removed with cause, there is a strong possibility that either Fulmer temporarily assumes the coach position until a new coach is found. I honestly believe that Pruitt will be removed as coach with cause.

Reactions: Border Vol
Marvin West has summed up the problems with the UT athletic department that has developed over the past several years. Now it is time for the UT leadership including Coach Fulmer to get the investigation finished and take immediate action to correct the situation even if it results in removing Coach Pruitt with cause and move on. If this investigation takes more time than the next two weeks and Pruitt is removed with cause, there is a strong possibility that either Fulmer temporarily assumes the coach position until a new coach is found. I honestly believe that Pruitt will be removed as coach with cause.
And it will be like Pruitt never left.

That last little bit at the end of the article makes me chuckle a bit; to think that a few years back, quite a few people were concerned that Alabama would lure Pruitt back...these days, it would be quite a blessing if he left of his own accord (whether the destination is Tuscaloosa or a cushy mid-management job at Hargraves Potted Meats).

That's the norm around here. UGA was going to steal Dooley from us....only to be followed by Michigan swooping in and snatching up Butch.

You can bet that no matter where the new coach comes from there will be fears of losing him to _______________.

As a graduate of UTK, I can tell you that Marvin West's article explains why I have been disappointed 365 days/year in the Board of Trustees and university leadership over a long period. Whether it was state politics and/or the money bosses, they failed and provided a university leadership family that was by and large inept, indecisive, even embarassingly inibriated at times, and not just in athletics. Putting Pruitt, who I think is basically a good person/father/man (but unfortunately from bama and not proven to take this job), as the voice that is so often heard is not a good look for the athletic dept or English dept.
If he gets another season, so be it, but it's ashame he/his family, the leadership and the fans will all be so uncomfortable through it all.

As a graduate of UTK, I can tell you that Marvin West's article explains why I have been disappointed 365 days/year in the Board of Trustees and university leadership over a long period. Whether it was state politics and/or the money bosses, they failed and provided a university leadership family that was by and large inept, indecisive, even embarassingly inibriated at times, and not just in athletics. Putting Pruitt, who I think is basically a good person/father/man (but unfortunately from bama and not proven to take this job), as the voice that is so often heard is not a good look for the athletic dept or English dept.
If he gets another season, so be it, but it's ashame he/his family, the leadership and the fans will all be so uncomfortable through it all.

Indeed
Good Post

I resist this notion that Pruitt is a "good father"..."nice guy"...or even "good guy." There is zero proof that he is any of those. Based on what I've seen there is no evidence he is anything but a grade A jerk. "Good father?" Maybe. We don't know. He comes off as a pompous ass and jerk to me. Just cuz a guy has a family w kids doesn't make him a good guy.

I resist this notion that Pruitt is a "good father"..."nice guy"...or even "good guy." There is zero proof that he is any of those. Based on what I've seen there is no evidence he is anything but a grade A jerk. "Good father?" Maybe. We don't know. He comes off as a pompous ass and jerk to me. Just cuz a guy has a family w kids doesn't make him a good guy.

That’s pretty harsh judgment of a man, if you don’t know him personally.

Hopefully no one will ever have to make the same judgement about us uh?

Not to be critical just to be critical BUT that piece literally said NOT ONE THING that educated us with facts or quotable lines from someone of note. Any causal fan of the Vols could have penned this piece and it’s nothing more than “bridge journalism”. The author knows nothing more than anyone else but “seemingly” felt the need to pen “something - anything” on the state of the Vols instead of waiting for creditable information. All journalists do it and usually have these types of articles in reserve ready to go in a day or two. My journalist wife has done it for years! Kind of like a soloist has a piece that can be performed simply with a request.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back