Game Thread: Lady Vols at LSU

So many of them were live ball turnovers that resulted in a breakaway layup for Pointer. We turned the ball over on the left side of the Key to pointer about 12 times. Either a post putting the ball down or our wing player trying to make a move. She is just too quick for that nonsense. On a taller player she can get to the ball easily.

Up to this game, even in the games where we had a lot of TOs, most of them were dead ball turnovers. We are not fast enough to chase down someone like Pointer after we give it away.
Amen !!!!

Reactions: volfan__18
Key is spending all of her time on offense standing around and playing with her hair. Kellie yanked her. I hope she spends the rest of the game on the bench.

She does love her hair, She does not have the fire, good player could be the best but doesn't really want it.....maybe doesn't want it is harsh just hasn't got the disposition to be aggressive. The opposing team just takes the ball from her. I am hoping that as she matures she understands she must be stronger.

Tamari played Well KK was not that great today she made a couple plays but many bad plays and missed two free throws there at the end.

I have to disagree about Tamari. She stands around on offense doing nothing a lot of the time. When Suarez got trapped on the sideline, Key stood on the other side of the key with her hands on her hips just watching and making no move to get into position for a pass. On another play, she threw the ball away, then jogged to halfcourt and watched her teammates trying to stop the fast break she'd created. Maybe she doesn't know where she's supposed to be or what she's supposed to do on broken plays and this is really a coaching issue, but at her level I'd expect better. Salary had the deer-in-the-headlights look too, but this is what, only the third or fourth competitive college game she's played in?

If I had to pick one turning point for us, it was Burrell coming out after half-time with some fire in her eye and scoring most of her points in the second half.

Last edited:
Pointer had zero intention of pulling up for a three. We just never seemed to understand that.

Yep. Should have backed off a couple steps and dared her to shoot.

We're just not quick enough to recover once the fastest guards get that first step. Need to be where we can at least funnel her into the bigs while denying the kick'out or backdoor passes in penetration.

-avoided the trap game
-best player played just okay
-sophomore Horston played with 4 fouls and made big plays at end of game-showing continued improvement
-bigs had combined best game of year
-a lot of good things for Kellie to use in film and practice
-no one injured
I’m good.

If Kelly had turned to the D to deny Pointer the ball in the first half LV's could won by 20 cause LSU had no one else to create their own shot. Why not do that??? As said in a post above, Pointer had no intention to do anything else but drive the ball. ?????

I don’t think Kellie has enough quickness on her roster to deny a super-slippery player like Pointer the ball, to be honest. We won today, thank goodness, but I’m afraid we’re definitely going to see all future opponents with speedy guards giving us The Pointer Treatment. Just hope our posts will be able to come through for us in those games like they did today.

She does love her hair, She does not have the fire, good player could be the best but doesn't really want it.....maybe doesn't want it is harsh just hasn't got the disposition to be aggressive. The opposing team just takes the ball from her. I am hoping that as she matures she understands she must be stronger.
Been saying the same thing all year.She needs to have some meanness instilled in her ....she cowers everytime some one roughs her up.I have waiting on the male Harper to do that but it hasn't happened.Maybe if someone would cut about half that hair off it would make her mad enough to play some physical basketball.

Yep. Should have backed off a couple steps and dared her to shoot.

We're just not quick enough to recover once the fastest guards get that first step. Need to be where we can at least funnel her into the bigs while denying the kick'out or backdoor passes in penetration.
Needed to go to a zone defense imo .....both 1-3-1 and 2-3 and occasionally a 3-2 to stop penetration because they are not agood outside shooting team.

Reactions: mcannon1
Needed to go to a zone defense imo .....both 1-3-1 and 2-3 and occasionally a 3-2 to stop penetration because they are not agood outside shooting team.

We did. It was no more effective. It did eliminate any post play they had going on, but it didn’t stop pointer. We gave up a bunch of o-boards while we were in it as well. We were not pursuing the basketball like we did on Thursday.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
We did. It was no more effective. It did eliminate any post play they had going on, but it didn’t stop pointer. We gave up a bunch of o-boards while we were in it as well. We were not pursuing the basketball like we did on Thursday.
If I recall correctly they tried a zone once in the whole game.

I have to disagree about Tamari. She stands around on offense doing nothing a lot of the time. When Suarez got trapped on the sideline, Key stood on the other side of the key with her hands on her hips just watching and making no move to get into position for a pass. On another play, she threw the ball away, then jogged to halfcourt and watched her teammates trying to stop the fast break she'd created. Maybe she doesn't know where she's supposed to be or what she's supposed to do on broken plays and this is really a coaching issue, but at her level I'd expect better. Salary had the deer-in-the-headlights look too, but this is what, only the third or fourth competitive college game she's played in?

If I had to pick one turning point for us, it was Burrell coming out after half-time with some fire in her eye and scoring most of her points in the second half.

A little push back Key and KK had her share of mistakes but without Key today TN don`t when the game. She changed a lot of shots and swatted Pointer shot out of there late in the game. And as for Rae she should never be handling the ball late in the game why because that`s one of her weakness no handle.

Did not get to watch game but just did the replay. Also have not read any post but i imagine they are similar to my thoughts! Suarez always dribbles into the paint and loses the ball. Slow and out of shape. KK regressed and Keys hair still looks good cause she basically did very little but what she did we needed. Gave up about 30 point give or take about 8 with little inside effort on our part. Burrell in a little funk and Davis worked pretty hard thank goodness . Horston whines about as much as number 34 on LSU . Neither never fouls! Most agressive person in the gym was Kellie and her staff. Trap game nearly got us but we WON! Free throws killed us and we looked tired. Hard to win in BR but we did and less move on. Not sure we will beat Pats other coaching tree limbs in the league but we will see. JMHO as always!

Reactions: Bret178
Dreading that we play Alabama right before UCONN. I fear we will lose to Bama looking ahead to UCONN. Then potentially drop two in a row.

Bama is tough this season and they have had our number for a while. Hopefully Rennia broke the curse last season.

Alabama fans are lucky to have Kristy Curry on the sidelines consistently getting more out of less than any other coach in the SEC. As long as she’s coaching, I feel like her teams will always make opposing coaches feel a little uneasy with worry about upsets. They really play hard for Curry.

Move along and look at positives. Key and KK stepping up at the 5 spot in the last few games whether it translates to offense or only defense; they’re doing their thing. Suarez just needs to cut turnovers and that will come.

Rae/Rennia/JordanH are a good group of perimeter players. JWalk as the off bench PG works. Even against the scrappy team. Even when they have to play scrappy they are willing to make sure it gets done. Salary can give minutes where she can this season and expect bigger minutes next year.

A win is a win. Keep them coming. This is a team to watch and many won’t want to play in the tourney.

-avoided the trap game
-best player played just okay
-sophomore Horston played with 4 fouls and made big plays at end of game-showing continued improvement
-bigs had combined best game of year
-a lot of good things for Kellie to use in film and practice
-no one injured
I’m good.
Roadie dub. I'll take it. Plenty to work on here.

VN Store

Back