Is the investigation being dragged out so...

chad954ut

AD Phil Fulmer can become coach Fulmer again. Say Pruitt is fired in February or before Spring practice, it would be to late to hire a coach of any relevance so Phil could tag himself interim. Just a thought.

AD Phil Fulmer can become coach Fulmer again. Say Pruitt is fired in February or before Spring practice, it would be to late to hire a coach of any relevance so Phil could tag himself interim. Just a thought.
So Pruitt can get canned with cause and we will owe him nothing!

Reactions: papatomany
Between Pruitt's status and implications with future SEC bowl revenue, this decision likely has an impact close to $25MM. You factor in a global pandemic and the holidays and these things take time....

Reactions: Jhilly05
This isn't going to drag out that much longer and no - Fulmer is not going to be the coach in any capacity. In fact, he's likely being shown the door himself. Of course as I've said in other threads they'll let him spin it that he wants to spend more time with the family and he was just supposed to be an interim all along.

This whole thing is a calculated strategy - believe it or not - to try to save the university a great deal of money by being able to negotiate a much reduced buyout of Coach Cornbread. I know the timing is not ideal but you have to look at it this way - it's STILL better than going through another full football season with this guy even if it takes another week or two before this is resolved.

This isn't going to drag out that much longer and no - Fulmer is not going to be the coach in any capacity. In fact, he's likely being shown the door himself. Of course as I've said in other threads they'll let him spin it that he wants to spend more time with the family and he was just supposed to be an interim all along.

This whole thing is a calculated strategy - believe it or not - to try to save the university a great deal of money by being able to negotiate a much reduced buyout of Coach Cornbread. I know the timing is not ideal but you have to look at it this way - it's STILL better than going through another full football season with this guy even if it takes another week or two before this is resolved.

Thanks for sharing your insights coach

So, you think the NCAA is trying to help us mitigate Pruitt's buyout? Does that theory come with a tin foil hat?

Last edited:
I dont think PF can be our HC and run the athletic department at the same time. Remember, its the athletic department, not the football department.

Last edited:
It seems like something would have leaked out already if it was that serious
I would presume the exact opposite. If the coaches have been providing extra benefits, they sure don’t want that information out. If the University is about to get hammered, then they will want to get out in front of the announcement with the best foot forward approach. I don't see either leaking something major as the public backlash will be big either way.

It’s being dragged out for a few reasons:
1)they want an air tight case to fire Pruitt with cause, which would save the program millions.
2)there’s also a chance Fulmer is out as AD. You want whoever is AD to be responsible for hiring the next coach.
3) these investigations take time and likely are taking longer due to Covid.

It’s a bad look right now and I hate it. I wished it was over quick but the most important thing is to do this right and make the right hires going forward. Pruitt is done regardless. Don’t get me wrong he may get another year, even though I would say that’s really unlikely. But this is a divorce regardless both sides are too alienated right now for it to end any other way. Just a matter of when at this point. Some assistants will jump ship, some can’t bc they’re at the center of some of the allegations.

Reactions: Vol Catdaddy
I would presume the exact opposite. If the coaches have been providing extra benefits, they sure don’t want that information out. If the University is about to get hammered, then they will want to get out in front of the announcement with the best foot forward approach. I don't see either leaking something major as the public backlash will be big either way.
That makes sense and I agree with what you’re saying, I guess it’s just surprising with all the different people and personnel that something hasn’t been leaked.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't think PF will have a say in Pruitt's future or who we hire if Pruitt is fired. Hell, I'd ship him off with Pruitt.

That makes sense and I agree with what you’re saying, I guess it’s just surprising with all the different people and personnel that something hasn’t been leaked.
It definitely is surprising it hasn’t leaked, but that tells me its big and there are only so many people in the know because of it

The university leadership, or what is left of it, have to be careful and somewhat removed or disinterested from these types of investigations as there are a number of careers on the line, the investigation needs to yield unbiased facts not spin and coach speak, and if the hammer falls hard, NCAA infractions, show cause penalties, some coaches' careers and livelihoods, maybe an administrator or two, could be severely impacted and some may be unemployable for a while, forced to rehab their careers, some may resort to litigation against the university, whistle-blower claims, all potentially damaging to and impairing the university's path forward, considering the required coaches and athletes to be competitive in the conference and on solid financial foundations coming out the other side.

It's one thing to love the university to get a sound bite and a million dollar a year job, it's another thing to fully protect it and its operations from regulatory, compliance and litigation claims in your job function.

I am with you. I have been confused for a while. If the internal investigation was enough we would not be waiting on the NCAA to finalize. That said, our internal folks may not be in the loop for the NCAA findings yet. IF they found a single problem with a recruit or player they would then expand the search to insure they have run the problem to ground. So I think that is what we are waiting on, the end of the trail.

Then as I said in another thread, it will get down to what did each staffer know and when did they know it and did they fully cooperate with the investigation. Just being in the chain of command will not usually get you shot as long as you do not turn a blind eye, or pull a Bruce.

Edited to add, this of course assumes that the problems are isolated and not systemic.

Last edited:
As frustrating as it is I understand. My best guess is that they’ll fire Pruitt for recruiting infractions. I’m sure it’ll take a little time ti get to that point. And there’s undoubtedly tons of infighting going on behind closed doors.

Reactions: chad954ut
It's being dragged out so UT can find a way to fire Jeremy Pruitt without paying his buyout.

VN Store

Back