FWIW ....Meyer planning on coaching the Jaguars

Unless he hates recruiting. Ohio State is a job if he keeps his nose clean and does what they have been doing super easy job in a weak conference. Why most coaches try NFL is to take a break from the recruiting.

Even if he does hate it he sure is good at it. From what I've read and heard he is well liked by recruits and players alike...

Even if he does hate it he sure is good at it. From what I've read and heard he is well liked by recruits and players alike...
Yeah thats not the issue of recruiting people hate. Its flying all over the country telling 16,17,&18 year olds they are amazing and have so much potential. And its loads of time texting them calling them etc... For instance in hope of signing 25 players a year they throw about anywhere from 50-100 offers in some cases as obviously you arent getting every kid you offer. Its just tedious and grueling and redundant. And so while we laugh when coaches say they want to spend more time with family after leaving or being fired from coaching. Its 100% true. The other stuff is what wears on your family.

Different sport but when Buzz Peterson was here it was reported by Chris Low (i believe it was him based off memory. If not I apologize) who knew him really well he liked leaving office and being done at 5 every day. And thats why he has a good family life. The next coach should be one that the family is in shambles because daddys always working. Then you bring in Bruce Pearl who was consumed with it. Recruiting takes its toll.

I can see Urban being sick of the BS spouting, cutthroat, and unending recruiting. Day, if he's burnt out already, NEEDS to be in the NFL.

I get it for Meyer since he's got nothing left to prove in college. Day still does. The NFL gets a really proven coach with Meyer. Day IS a good coach but he's a much less proven product than Meyer.

I can see Urban being sick of the BS spouting, cutthroat, and unending recruiting. Day, if he's burnt out already, NEEDS to be in the NFL.

I get it for Meyer since he's got nothing left to prove in college. Day still does. The NFL gets a really proven coach with Meyer. Day IS a good coach but he's a much less proven product than Meyer.

Day is more than a good coach having gone to last years semi-final and this years final with a 23-1 record... He's 41 years old and says he really loves recruiting.

Day is more than a good coach having gone to last years semi-final and this years final with a 23-1 record... He's 41 years old and says he really loves recruiting.
Day IS good but Meyer and Saban have been good for over a decade. Day is NOT in the conversation of great college coaches yet. He may be one day if he stays at the college level (or comes back after a pro stint) but he's not there yet.

He'd be an idiot, IMO, to leave the challenges and opportunities at OSU for any other job. He's got a well oiled machine of a program. We should be so lucky.

Reactions: Volatility
Hmmm. I'm not much of an "insider" but someone I know who is at OSU says there's worry that Meyer is fishing for interest among coaches (particularly the strength coach Marotti and another asst AD Pantoni.)

I figured he'd decline the NFL offer in the end but maybe not.

Trevor will be 1st qb in draft ,not even close. Hated Dabo turned him into a option qb in his last game. Wth?
I believe though I’m not 100% sure Trevor has been running that RPO at selected times since he was a freshman. Sometimes they have designed runs for him that were very productive.

I totally see how someone gets sick of it, but I also think someone like Urban eats it up. He's a pretty cutthroat guy himself.

I have heard people say that a lot of current NFL coaches view college head coaching jobs, especially big time college head coaching jobs, as more stressful and perhaps even more difficult than NFL jobs. They don't like the politics, they don't like the grind of recruiting, and don't like the fact that a lot of their success will depend upon their success at convincing a bunch of entitled 17 and 18-year-old divas to attend their school. There is a bunch of stuff besides game planning that they have to think about.

In college you can get burned out recruiting, but in the NFL you get burned out in the film room.

The Jaguars owner is known to be very “hands off” and disinterested in the day-to-day running of the organization. I would assume from that standpoint he is more than willing to give UM the keys to the kingdom and allow him to run things the way he sees fit. Assuming Meyer’s health is no longer a concern; the Jacksonville job makes a lot of sense.

Jacksonville has also asked for permission to talk with Tennessee offensive coordinator Arthur Smith as have the other five NFL teams with a head coaching vacancy.

The Jaguars owner is known to be very “hands off” and disinterested in the day-to-day running of the organization. I would assume from that standpoint he is more than willing to give UM the keys to the kingdom and allow him to run things the way he sees fit. Assuming Meyer’s health is no longer a concern; the Jacksonville job makes a lot of sense.
Lol this didn’t hold up what, maybe an hour?

Reactions: VolNExile
I totally see how someone gets sick of it, but I also think someone like Urban eats it up. He's a pretty cutthroat guy himself.

I have heard people say that a lot of current NFL coaches view college head coaching jobs, especially big time college head coaching jobs, as more stressful and perhaps even more difficult than NFL jobs. They don't like the politics, they don't like the grind of recruiting, and don't like the fact that a lot of their success will depend upon their success at convincing a bunch of entitled 17 and 18-year-old divas to attend their school. There is a bunch of stuff besides game planning that they have to think about.

In college you can get burned out recruiting, but in the NFL you get burned out in the film room.
To add to that, you now have to keep recruiting kids once they get on campus to keep from hitting the Portal.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Once he signs, learns he doesn't the same 'swagger' with the big boy world it'll be...

CommonLinedDouglasfirbarkbeetle-small.gif

Jacksonville has also asked for permission to talk with Tennessee offensive coordinator Arthur Smith as have the other five NFL teams with a head coaching vacancy.
Announcers in the game Sunday said Arthur will be a HC before long...You can tell the guy loves football by his Dad being the founder of Fed-X and Arthur working long hours as a football coach when he could be set for life with Fed-X money.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Announcers in the game Sunday said Arthur will be a HC before long...You can tell the guy loves football by his Dad being the founder of Fed-X and Arthur working long hours as a football coach when he could be set for life with Fed-X money.
He’s following the FedEx model, start at the bottom work your way up, they’ll be the next owners of a franchise

Would you turn down $10-12 million a year to coach in the NFL? Especially if it was guaranteed that you were going to be able to draft Trevor Lawrence? And you had more than $73 million in cap space for the upcoming offseason?
That has nothing to do with him leaving Florida and Ohio State. Unless he’s had this grand vision all along 👀

VN Store

Back