Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. (13/13) Arkansas

...The other development we need is Jordan Horston's offense. Her shooting remains spotty at best and she would make 3 turnovers if she was on the court alone. Who would have thought that halfway thru her second year, Horston's biggest contribution would be defense and rebounding. . .

What a punk thing to say...You are a true keyboard warrior!
Jordan had one of the best all around games of this season
11 points, 8 rebounds, 3 of 4 foul shots, 5 assists to 3 turnovers ( which is a 1-1.66 ratio), 2 blocks (one happened when she was against a 2 on 1 break) and 1 steal and you point out turnovers and say something so childish as "she would make 3 turnovers if she was on the court alone"

Grow the f up!
Be a fan!
pitiful

I'm not downplaying a fine effort by the Lady Vols in this game. However, this is a really bad matchup for Arkansas. They are a small but really quick team. They can mostly handle the bigger players on the other teams as long as they are not big and quick.

Tennessee has three of those players, and they are not role players either. Davis, Burrell and Horston are not only tall (6'2", 6'1", 6'2") but they are fast/quick as well.

KK having a great game as well didn't hurt.

I'm looking forward to Tennessee playing more balanced teams. That will be a better test.

I’m tired of hearing that Arkansas didn’t match up well vs TN when it’s a TN win. TN had a game plan against Ark and implemented it. I get that we had a size advantage but they didn’t exploit it and it wasn’t for lack of trying lol

Before the game it was TN can’t defend the three ball, the guards for Ark will get past our defenders and draw fouls, they will shoot us out the gym. 😂

That same team with those same players beat Baylor who I think was ranked # 4 at the time. So by actually downplaying Ark as an opponent or in their match up you actually are downplaying the effort and execution of the LV.

Glad you’re back ... but you are gonna get the same treatment as if you never left (in all LV love type of way 😄)

When’s yalls next big match up? Don’t y’all have Indiana soon i thought i heard?

Last edited:
I really wouldn't look for either of them to play very much at all unless it is in the fourth quarter with the game well in hand. I doubt that happens much in SEC play. I think you can see our rotation which is eight players and Emily when a big gets in foul trouble and the other needs a rest.
tess darby was in top 60 before missing sopmore summer ball. if she no injurys. she going better than some you think.

Rewatching the game The LVs are also in the top 4 (in the SEC)in FT shooting (72% overall). That’s about putting in the time and work in the gym on your own time.

That’s a great sign! I hope they can stay in the top 4 because that’s could be a huge weapon with this aggressive team.

tess darby was in top 60 before missing sopmore summer ball. if she no injurys. she going better than some you think.
Injuries seem to be slowing her down this season. Right now I would say both Tess and Rennie are at the end of the depth chart for this season may be tough making it back. I do expect to see them some more don't know exactly what game that will happen.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I’m tired of hearing that Arkansas didn’t match up well vs TN when it’s a TN win. TN had a game plan against Ark and implemented it. I get that we had a size advantage but they didn’t exploit it and it wasn’t for lack of trying lol

Before the game it was TN can’t defend the three ball, the guards for Ark will get past our defenders and draw fouls, they will shoot us out the gym. 😂

That same team with those same players beat Baylor who I think was ranked # 4 at the time. So by actually downplaying Ark as an opponent or in their match up you actually are downplaying the effort and execution of the LV.

Glad you’re back ... but you are gonna get the same treatment as if you never left (in all LV love type of way 😄)

When’s yalls next big match up? Don’t y’all have Indiana soon i thought i heard?
I never said any of those things about Arkansas. I didn't downplay Arkansas at all.

Basketball is games of match ups. I don't believe Arkansas matches up well with Tennessee. I am not allowed to express that without being attacked even with your smiley face after?

I wasn't sure before the game and never said it was a bad match up before the game. But after watching it, it clearly was.

Sheesh. If you disagree, just say so. People get so crazy here.

I'd rather not talk about RU right now. That loss to a terrible Nebraska team was so upsetting.

We play No. 22 Northwestern next and No. 19 Indiana after that. This season could get ugly quick.

Do you disagree that Davis, Burrell and Horston are a bad match up for Arkansas? I believe in some of your pregame analysis you might have alluded to that.
as @VA_VOLFAN pointed out
"Before the game it was TN can’t defend the three ball, the guards for Ark will get past our defenders and draw fouls, they will shoot us out the gym. 😂"

You say" I'm looking forward to Tennessee playing more balanced teams. That will be a better test. " as if they weren't a test,,they are the #13 team in the country,,,we beat the #13 team in the country and you say, wait untill you play a better test.

I just hits me wrong

"Before the game it was TN can’t defend the three ball, the guards for Ark will get past our defenders and draw fouls, they will shoot us out the gym. 😂"

You say" I'm looking forward to Tennessee playing more balanced teams. That will be a better test. " as if they weren't a test,,they are the #13 team in the country,,,we beat the #13 team in the country and you say, wait untill you play a better test.

I just hits me wrong

Only because it was me.

And you didn't answer my question.

Whatever.

I never said any of those things about Arkansas. I didn't downplay Arkansas at all.

Basketball is games of match ups. I don't believe Arkansas matches up well with Tennessee. I am not allowed to express that without being attacked even with your smiley face after?

I wasn't sure before the game and never said it was a bad match up before the game. But after watching it, it clearly was.

Sheesh. If you disagree, just say so. People get so crazy here.

I'd rather not talk about RU right now. That loss to a terrible Nebraska team was so upsetting.

We play No. 22 Northwestern next and No. 19 Indiana after that. This season could get ugly quick.

Did i attack you? I didn’t call you outta name or get personal. Actually i just said what i was tired of hearing and how the narrative flipped when TN won. I didn’t say you said it.

And i smiled because you for one in the forum have even said laughing at people’s expense can be good or something of the sort so a little ribbing knowing that’s what you do i didn’t think was going to be a big deal.

So no worries you’re really emotional right now, rightfully so and i get that. I respect it hence my smiley trying to let you know i’m ribbing you a bit. That being said I will also express my feelings without you trying to vilify me for doing so in what i thought was a fun manner.

I also was asking about RU not knowing about the loss. But cool hope you feel better soon and that’s genuine (i’d add an emoji but they seem to bother you).

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

I just hits me wrong

I just wouldn’t even today... I enjoyed the game and i enjoyed how it got better. Like they progressively got better in the game and the mental lapses became fewer.

Let me reframe this latter dialogue a bit.

Prior to the Arkansas game, and most particularly in light of the WV loss, the standard "wisdom" on the LVs had been that they were vulnerable to small quick guards. No ambiguity there. Some some worried we would not be able to compete against many teams because of this inherent match-up problem.

The Arkansas game showed that the conventional wisdom need not to be the case. Our bigger guards can "guard" and with good rotation and team defense, any vulnerabilities can be compensated for. And most importantly, the LV big guards can punish their vertically challenged opponents on the offensive end.

So, let's all give Kellie and her staff credit for making the needed adjustments and hope that they can continue this level of play for the rest of the season. Playing with that kind of defensive intensity takes a lot of effort and focus and maintaining that game in and game out is not easy.

I recall Shekinna Stricklen- a big offensively talented guard. Some games she was a really good defender when matching up against smaller guards (and at 6-2 that was her standard match-up) but some days she just did not seem to have the energy and struggled mightily on the defensive end. On the plus side, I think Horston, Davis, Burrell have more natural lateral quickness than Shekkina.

Prior to the Arkansas game, and most particularly in light of the WV loss, the standard "wisdom" on the LVs had been that they were vulnerable to small quick guards. No ambiguity there. Some some worried we would not be able to compete against many teams because of this inherent match-up problem.

The Arkansas game showed that the conventional wisdom need not to be the case. Our bigger guards can "guard" and with good rotation and team defense, any vulnerabilities can be compensated for. And most importantly, the LV big guards can punish their vertically challenged opponents on the offensive end.

So, let's all give Kellie and her staff credit for making the needed adjustments and hope that they can continue this level of play for the rest of the season. Playing with that kind of defensive intensity takes a lot of effort and focus and maintaining that game in and game out is not easy.

I recall Shekinna Stricklen- a big offensively talented guard. Some games she was a really good defender when matching up against smaller guards (and at 6-2 that was her standard match-up) but some days she just did not seem to have the energy and struggled mightily on the defensive end. On the plus side, I think Horston, Davis, Burrell have more natural lateral quickness than Shekkina.

Very good analysis.

What people often forget is that a taller player can play off of a shorter player and still challenge their shots. It is all a matter of proper positioning. The taller defender just needs to judge the optimum space they need to be able to challenge the shot and defend the drive. Destiny Slocum did get herself open for shots in the second half, but she used screens which she excells in. Using screens is the only real advantage a shorter quicker player would have against a smart taller defender. She is very effective at that. Conversely the taller LV guards got shots their short jumpers off at will against the shorter Razorbacks.

Reactions: luballer
Injuries seem to be slowing her down this season. Right now I would say both Tess and Rennie are at the end of the depth chart for this season may be tough making it back. I do expect to see them some more don't know exactly what game that will happen.

While Jess and Tess may never rise to the level of the Ernie & Bernie Show, let's suppirt them and encourage them as much as possible.

Jessie has perhaps the smoothest entry pass into the post area and seems to deliver the ball in the right position and at the right speed to help our bigs. And, of course, she can shhot the 3 when open.

Tess is still rehabbing and has difficulty staying in front of faster defenders. W3 don't know whether she's experiencing significant pain just trying to run, much less slide laterally. And jumping and landing? Ugh. But Tess has shown that she has a nice stroke.

Anyway, Jessie has two more years and Tess three. If they are physically able to overcome or compensate for lack of speed, they can both be solid contributors whether this year or in future seasons.

Reactions: krichunaka
We have to give KK her props, she has played well the last three games. Against Arkansas KJH and her staff had a good game plan. I love Key but she needs to upstep her game.

Reactions: volfan__18
TBH looking at the rankings Which teams do you feel TENN has NO SHOT TO BEAT ? Id say we can beat any team ranked 5-25 and take 1-4 down to the 4th QTR. Heck i think we can beat UCONN , NCST & SC. Stanford & LV i would be concerned with .

If you are concerned with Stanford, then Oregon should also concern you. They are at Stanfords level but they had two subpar games in a row from Sabally and poor shooting from Boly and Mikesell. They are as deep and talented as Stanford but just younger. They were also missing Prince ( but who knows when or even if ever she returns this season ) that hurt them more than usual because Sabally had two really subpar games in their back to back loses to UCLA and Stanford.

VN Store

Back