Size and Speed

I don’t think we are “slow”. We are just slower than the two teams we just played. I don’t think that will be the case most nights in the SEC. Our first 7 games, which included an SEC team, no one was saying anything about the Vols being slow.

I don’t even know if we are slower than the last 2. Bama has long athletes. Herb Jones is a 6’8” guard playing at the 4 and was guarded by Fulky. Just a mismatch. Long athletes can use positioning to make plays on offense.

People just don’t realize that the last 2 opponents have 4/5 stars all over the court too.

I don’t even know if we are slower than the last 2. Bama has long athletes. Herb Jones is a 6’8” guard playing at the 4 and was guarded by Fulky. Just a mismatch. Long athletes can use positioning to make plays on offense.

People just don’t realize that the last 2 opponents have 4/5 stars all over the court too.
You’re right. A lot of bball outcomes can be attributed to matchups. Same thing happened in the Bama game. Pons got in early foul trouble which meant more PT for EJ and Pember. Bama went to work on those 2. If Pons plays his normal 32 minutes, instead of 21, we maybe pull that one out. He was the only guy that was positive in the +/- stat and clearly effected Bama’s offense. Overall, I don’t think team speed and quickness will be an issue for this team, we just need to adjust how to defend teams that play like Bama/Ark.

Reactions: VolGee4
Tennessee is Slow,teams have figured that out!
tenor.gif

You’re right. A lot of bball outcomes can be attributed to matchups. Same thing happened in the Bama game. Pons got in early foul trouble which meant more PT for EJ and Pember. Bama went to work on those 2. If Pons plays his normal 32 minutes, instead of 21, we maybe pull that one out. He was the only guy that was positive in the +/- stat and clearly effected Bama’s offense. Overall, I don’t think team speed and quickness will be an issue for this team, we just need to adjust how to defend teams that play like Bama/Ark.
I think we have a very good basketball team with some very good depth. However, there are ares where we can put a much better team on the court. We do not have a real position 5 player on the court. Despite Ponds, we do not have another player to protect the rim and get offensive and defensive rebound. We are an average teams shooting from the beyond the 3 point line and at defending the 3 point shot. Improvement in these ares would make us a real National Championship contender. I still think we can be a final 4 team. if we can improve in the areas mentioned a move. Recruiting an athletic 6-10 or taller player is essential if we are to become contenders in the future. We also need consistent threat from beyond the 3 point line.

I don’t understand why we are always chasing the ball on defense

There are a few players on this team that are not fast. I wouldn't say the overall team is slow. Those are the guys that get caught in the switch and get blown by. Fulkerson, Vescovi, Anosiki, mainly. It's terrible when Plavsic and Pember are in there.

SV is the slowest of the players that get significant minutes, but his defense has improved this year. Fulk can move pretty well for a 6’9” post player. The rest of players that see the floor regularly are not slow at all.

Slow? I don't agree with that assessment. CRB even said post game he made our team slow down so they could see what the inside out game looks like. Of course they already know but his point was well taken. I do think Alabama and Arkansas are going to be really strong in the SEC this year. O I do hope the stupidity from the football forum doesn't infect the basketball forum. The BB forum for the most part has been an intelligent discussion without the hate and childish name calling. I hope it can continue to be that way in the BB forum.

Vescovi got abused by Arkansas's guards. He hit two clutch freethrows, but overall not a good game from him.

We have a lot of youth on this team.

As I stated before, I think we will begin to jell at the end of Jan. as the youngsters get experience.

Watch out Feb and March! Vols are trending up!

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Slow? I don't agree with that assessment. CRB even said post game he made our team slow down so they could see what the inside out game looks like. Of course they already know but his point was well taken. I do think Alabama and Arkansas are going to be really strong in the SEC this year. O I do hope the stupidity from the football forum doesn't infect the basketball forum. The BB forum for the most part has been an intelligent discussion without the hate and childish name calling. I hope it can continue to be that way in the BB forum.

It is comical that some people complain about this squad being slow when we are currently ranked 9TH in the country with a record of 8-1 & have won 2 out of 3 in the conference thus far. This team will likely be 3-1 in SEC play after our contest with the aggies Saturday. We are building a nice resume with quality wins and have a talented starting five and bring quality players off the bench. This team needs to correct some issues but my gosh our fanbase needs to enjoy wins. I guess if we were fast, the VOLS would be undefeated and ranked in the top 3.

I think we have a very good basketball team with some very good depth. However, there are ares where we can put a much better team on the court. We do not have a real position 5 player on the court. Despite Ponds, we do not have another player to protect the rim and get offensive and defensive rebound. We are an average teams shooting from the beyond the 3 point line and at defending the 3 point shot. Improvement in these ares would make us a real National Championship contender. I still think we can be a final 4 team. if we can improve in the areas mentioned a move. Recruiting an athletic 6-10 or taller player is essential if we are to become contenders in the future. We also need consistent threat from beyond the 3 point line.

They did recruit Banchero and were in the final 2/3, but I don't think you have to have taller players than 6'9"/6'10". But as you indicated, we aren't great at hitting three's. You can play a lineup of 5 "short" guys as long as the 4 or 5 position (or both) can stretch the floor with their shots. I hope Pons can improve on his three's this year because that will help our offense.

Villanova's second championship team had their tallest player at 6'9", but they had 5 guys who could shoot. I believe their worst 3 point shooter (as a starter) was 35%, and all of the starters have played in the NBA.

As John Wooden always instructed his players in the heyday of UCLA basketball, "Be quick, but don't hurry."
That's good advice.

Reactions: Volfan1000
They did recruit Banchero and were in the final 2/3, but I don't think you have to have taller players than 6'9"/6'10". But as you indicated, we aren't great at hitting three's. You can play a lineup of 5 "short" guys as long as the 4 or 5 position (or both) can stretch the floor with their shots. I hope Pons can improve on his three's this year because that will help our offense.

Villanova's second championship team had their tallest player at 6'9", but they had 5 guys who could shoot. I believe their worst 3 point shooter (as a starter) was 35%, and all of the starters have played in the NBA.
6'10 is great if you can scratch your ankles without bending over. Then your shot cant be blocked.

Reactions: VolGee4
We have been guilty of not forcing Alabama and Arkansas play half court offense and defense. We simply are not good enough on transition offense to beat them at their own game.

VN Store

Back