The Official #9 Tennessee vs. Arkansas Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN2

Yeah I have been a defender of EJ but he was a no show tonight and I dont think Barnes even put him in in the second half. ON didn't get put in at all, which is odd to me, he should be in over Uros I'd say
Can't argue anything Deacon did tonight. We achieved the win.

Reactions: Border Vol
Yes. You can. You can ALSO get lit up playing man OR a match up zone like Arkansas did some tonight. The POINT is... most coaches switch up. Barnes does not and WILL not. Care to argue?
I won't argue that changing your defense up is effective at times, but a good three point shooting team will salivate when they see you go to a zone defense. Care to argue?

What we have going for us though this year we didn’t have last year is our main 7 can all lead us when having a good night.

I really wish Pons was pulling down more rebounds though. I get he chases the blocks, but we don’t have anyone inside to help Fulky on the glass.

I won't argue that changing your defense up is effective at times, but a good three point shooting team will salivate when they see you go to a zone defense. Care to argue?
A zone will USUALLY require the other team to shoot over the zone. We can both agree.. However. its easier to contest shots from a zone, IMO. Especially when you have slower players like Vescovi. Man usually leads to wide open kick out WITHOUT a defender contesting the shot. Or sailing into him after the shot like we had happen a couple of times tonight. Again. JMO. Watch how Syracuse plays the 3. A long, lanky team can give the other teams fits shooting over it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think Tennessee plays so much better pushing the ball up the court hard. Too many cases where they settled to run their half court offense instead of pushing it all the way. The 4-5 times we took it to the hole we had success.
I like keon at the point... He wants to run in transition.... If it doesnt go in transition run the half court more with JJJ

Reactions: cardvolfan
A zone will USUALLY require the other team to shoot over the zone. We can both agree.. However. its easier to contest shots from a zone, IMO. Especially when you have slower players like Vescovi. Man usually leads to wide open kick out WITHOUT a defender contesting the shot. Or sailing into him after the shot like we had happen a couple of times tonight. Again. JMO. Watch how Syracuse plays the 3. A long, lanky team can give the other teams fits shooting over it.
I think one of places we get lost that leads to open threes is on the ball switches.

Barnes needs to work some magic with EJ....and quickly. Will need him to produce down the stretch.
For sure. He's had a few nice moments (getting 2 or 3 rebounds in a row, and I remember him once taking the ball the length of the court in transition, couldn't believe my eyes), but a lot more groan worthy ones

How did Fulky almost break himself into when going for that dunk after the foul? If I wasn't concerned that he seriously injured himself i would have busted a gut laughing.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Great bounce back win. Question - does anyone notice the issue with traction and loose ball handling these last two games. Our guys - Keon SV Springer as slip sliding all over the place and having a lot of ball handling issues. Is it the ball, is it the shoes or is the court like an ice rink?

Yes. You can. You can ALSO get lit up playing man OR a match up zone like Arkansas did some tonight. The POINT is... most coaches switch up. Barnes does not and WILL not. Care to argue?
Historically the best teams have planned Man to Man at all times. Some man press with trapS but Man to Man is the bread & butter. Only Syracuse bucks the norm. Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, etc etc. Having said that I think playing a zone of something type (1-3-1, 2-3, match-up) occasionally wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Maybe after a made 3 or 3 point play?

There are a lot of differing opinions on this, but I don't think going to a zone defense would do this team any good in defending the three point shot better.

We just need to do a better job of guarding the dribble drive. It's that simple. Some of that is communicating better on switches, and some of that is simply being tougher, quicker, and more determined than the offensive player.

Switching up a defense from time to time to show the opponent different looks can be effective, but thinking that a zone defense alone is the solution to better three point defense is a flawed way of looking at things IMO.

We just need to do a better job of guarding the dribble drive. It's that simple. Some of that is communicating better on switches, and some of that is simply being tougher, quicker, and more determined than the offensive player.

Switching up a defense from time to time to show the opponent different looks can be effective, but thinking that a zone defense alone is the solution to better three point defense is a flawed way of looking at things IMO.

Yes and yes!!

VN Store

Back