Roster
Schedule
Game Notes (PDF)

ARKANSAS

Roster
Schedule
Game Notes

Go Lady Vols

I wouldn't even start a big...I'd wait and bring them in once the speedsters got done terrorizing Ark...., I would go with Rennia, Jordan H, Rae, Marta and JoJo (Possibly even Destiny)...Even without a true post, we still tower over them as a group so if we all crash the boards, we would still dominate on the boards. Once I see how that goes, I bring in Key and KK or Emily and slow it down (and give them fair warning that they weren't in there to cruise, they were in there to punish,,,,And if Ark got frisky again, attack them with guards, full court or half-court pickup

You don't slow down Arkansas, they let you go slow and then speed back up on their possession...so trying to slow them down by trying to pace the game on offense won;t work,,,you have to attack their dribble

You attack an attacker
You press a presser

I'd run a series of presses at them full court 3-1-1, 2-1-1-1, half court 3-1-1 pickup,
As soon as the ball gets on step across the half-court line, trap-city!
Don't let their guards and shooters have a moment to breathe and we will whip this team,,,by a ton!

But will we do something like that?
If we do,
Coach Jumper's prediction : UT 82 ARK 66

If we don't
Coach Jumper's prediction : UT 82 ARK 80

Last edited:
  • No. 1/1 Tennessee and unranked Arkansas met in an NCAA Final Four semifinal game in Kansas City, Mo., on March 27, 1998, and the Lady Vols cruised past the Razorbacks, 86-58, en route to their perfect 39-0 season.
  • Then the starting point guard for UT, Kellie (Jolly) Harper tallied 11 points, five assists and three rebounds during 30 minutes of duty in that contest.

• No. 1/1 Tennessee and unranked Arkansas met in an NCAA Final Four semifinal game in Kansas City, Mo., on March 27, 1998, and the Lady Vols cruised past the Razorbacks, 86-58, en route to their perfect 39-0 season.
  • Then the starting point guard for UT, Kellie (Jolly) Harper tallied 11 points, five assists and three rebounds during 30 minutes of duty in that contest.
Because I’m lazy, how many TOs for Kellie Jolly?

Other than defending the 3, the other two big things are not turning the ball over and not fouling. Baylor lost to them because of their inability to defend their drives to the basket without fouling. If Tennessee can play tough defense inside without fouling and guard the perimeter, they should be able to win this game.

I think Arkansas will win something like 74-64, but also wouldn't be surprised to see a LV victory.

Going to have to get out and run with them. Post play may not even be essential in this game.

Other than defending the 3, the other two big things are not turning the ball over and not fouling. Baylor lost to them because of their inability to defend their drives to the basket without fouling. If Tennessee can play tough defense inside without fouling and guard the perimeter, they should be able to win this game.

I just don't see how our players are going to stop the drives of quicker players without piling up a ton of reaching fouls -- UNLESS we get lucky and take a couple of charges EARLY to slow them down a little. I would love to find out on Thursday that the long break actually did the team good instead of leaving them with too much rust to shake off to beat a good team. You never know, maybe they'll come back pretty well rested and with tons of energy. Hope so, 'cause they're going to need it. GLV

I just don't see how our players are going to stop the drives of quicker players without piling up a ton of reaching fouls -- UNLESS we get lucky and take a couple of charges EARLY to slow them down a little. I would love to find out on Thursday that the long break actually did the team good instead of leaving them with too much rust to shake off to beat a good team. You never know, maybe they'll come back pretty well rested and with tons of energy. Hope so, 'cause they're going to need it. GLV

By not letting them even reach their side of the court without punishing them on the way down...You have to attack a team that attacks,,,you can't play defensive, you have to play aggressive defense on the bringdowns

It works both ways. Our bigger guards have to make the teeny tiny Razorbacks struggle to match up when they are playing D against the LVs. And I think Jordan and Davis should be able to keep guards in front of them more often than not. They are not quickness challenged players. It is just positioning, timing and focus.

Could be a test for Marta, lateral quickness is one area where she needs some improvement
I could see Destiny getting more time in this game. She reminds me a lot of Kyra Elzy.

And it is team defense, switching and taking away passing lanes and last but not least, Key can add a dozen blocks or so: "Congrats, tiny guard, you got in the lane; now use all that speed to go chase your shot which I just swatted into row 3."

Early on would like for us to take a couple of charges on those dribble drives. If they get to the line too often and hit a good percentage at the three, game over.

i like the idea of Salary out front on defense if she can keep her composure and not foul.

Key to the game for me is not letting Ramirez and Daniels get hot from 3. Or any of them for that matter. Ramirez is the kind of player that has torched us the last few seasons. Daniels as well, she hasn’t shot the ball as well the last couple games but she was almost 50% from 3 last season. We are going to have to guard 1-4 on the perimeter. Run them off the line and turn them into a jump shooting team, they have no inside game in their halfcourt offense.

Suspect we will see more of Walker, Salary and possibly some Darby/Rennie in this game. We are going to have to go small at the 4 and KK and Key will split time at the 5. Trying to go big at the 4 will kill us defensively against this team. Just no way KK can guard Dungee who is technically their “4” player most of the time. Don’t think zone is going to be an option unless it’s that extended 3/4 court trapping zone.

Need to pick up Daniels early, about halfcourt and make her pass over our size. She is great at busting the ball down the floor and into the paint. We cannot allow her to dribble right down the middle and pass to open shooters or get easy layups.

Thomas is pretty good on the oboards but I don’t think she’ll have as much luck against our size. Barnum likes to get out in transition so when she’s in the game someone has to make sure they pick her up. She has great timing on her leak out and gets a couple easy layups every game. Will also try to take it full court off the bounce on the rebound but her handle isn’t great. If someone will get in her grill it will be a turnover. Let her dribble straight up the middle and it’ll be a layup.

Me, rambling about defense again...

Key to the game for me is not letting Ramirez and Daniels get hot from 3. Or any of them for that matter. Ramirez is the kind of player that has torched us the last few seasons. Daniels as well, she hasn’t shot the ball as well the last couple games but she was almost 50% from 3 last season. We are going to have to guard 1-4 on the perimeter. Run them off the line and turn them into a jump shooting team, they have no inside game in their halfcourt offense.

Suspect we will see more of Walker, Salary and possibly some Darby/Rennie in this game. We are going to have to go small at the 4 and KK and Key will split time at the 5. Trying to go big at the 4 will kill us defensively against this team. Just no way KK can guard Dungee who is technically their “4” player most of the time. Don’t think zone is going to be an option unless it’s that extended 3/4 court trapping zone.

Need to pick up Daniels early, about halfcourt and make her pass over our size. She is great at busting the ball down the floor and into the paint. We cannot allow her to dribble right down the middle and pass to open shooters or get easy layups.

Thomas is pretty good on the oboards but I don’t think she’ll have as much luck against our size. Barnum likes to get out in transition so when she’s in the game someone has to make sure they pick her up. She has great timing on her leak out and gets a couple easy layups every game. Will also try to take it full court off the bounce on the rebound but her handle isn’t great. If someone will get in her grill it will be a turnover. Let her dribble straight up the middle and it’ll be a layup.

Good post imo .A 3/4 and or half court zone press thrown in for spurts might help also but this team is not in game shape and I anticipate that to be a big factor in this game.Tired players can not keep players in front of them on defense....love to be wrong on that point so we shall see what transpires tomorrow nite.I do not feel good about coming out with a win ...hope that feeling is out in left field.

Last edited:

There is no reason that Darby or Rennie should see playing time in this game, unless there's foul trouble for Walker, Horston, Burrell, Davis and probably Salary. They would get abused on the defensive end, and I don't think they would be able to exploit Arkansas on offense.

Arkansas' advantage is that they have 4 great ball handlers that can bring the ball down. Pressing will probably lead to a lot of 3 point shots or interior drives. I agree that Tennessee's frontcourt should be able to control the boards vs. Thomas or Barnum inside pretty easily.

Daniel hurt her shoulder in their last game. I wonder if she’s good for this one

You can't quick shoot in a game like this and you have to get them in a half court game. If you try to run with them you will get burned badly. I think over 20 second possessions and hopefully some second chance points on offensive rebounds is the way the game needs to go for us. I would like to see our defense work them hard in their half court offense and a matchup zone that pressures them and makes them have to drive to the basket. Key just needs to get in front with her hands up when we get beat on drives. Less than 10 threes for them and very limited trips to the line will give us a great chance to win.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
One problem with our taller frontcourt dominating the boards in this game will be our size advantage being somewhat offset by long rebounds from 3-point attempts/misses.

One problem with our taller frontcourt dominating the boards in this game will be our size advantage being somewhat offset by long rebounds from 3-point attempts/misses.

Thats exactly right and a reason they don't have the rebound numbers they could have had by now. We've played teams that relied on the outside shot and there were a lot of misses that rebounded long to the other teams guards. We need to cover that foul line extended area and get more of those type rebounds.

I don't normally prognosticate but I think we run and let Davis, Horston and Burrell go off on them. On defense, we force them inside where our bigs are. No way they can match up with our length. Watch out for the flop opportunities and, depending on how the game is called, offensive fouls.

Last edited:
There is no reason that Darby or Rennie should see playing time in this game, unless there's foul trouble for Walker, Horston, Burrell, Davis and probably Salary. They would get abused on the defensive end, and I don't think they would be able to exploit Arkansas on offense.

Arkansas' advantage is that they have 4 great ball handlers that can bring the ball down. Pressing will probably lead to a lot of 3 point shots or interior drives. I agree that Tennessee's frontcourt should be able to control the boards vs. Thomas or Barnum inside pretty easily.

If we have any foul trouble at all, which sadly I suspect our perimeter defenders will, they may have to give us a few quality minutes. No heavy time but I wouldn’t be shocked if they play a bit.

Thats why I like the 3-1-1 halfcourt trap
3 set the trap once the ball passes midcourt (so they can't throw the ball backwards)...one at the top of the key and one in the paint

You just have to be patient and let them cross midcourt before you attack

VN Store

Back