Tennessee has no shooters

And we have three other guys that can run the point .

Outside of springer (hurt) and Johnson (already doing as much as he can) who are these 3? JJJ runs it sometimes. Bailey is a guard but I don’t think he’s played point much if any. We’re already well past credibility even at 2. Who’s the 3rd? I don’t think you’re suggesting pons or fulky would be better equipped to bring the ball up than SV, right?

Outside of springer (hurt) and Johnson (already doing as much as he can) who are these 3? JJJ runs it sometimes. Bailey is a guard but I don’t think he’s played point much if any. We’re already well past credibility even at 2. Who’s the 3rd? I don’t think you’re suggesting pons or fulky would be better equipped to bring the ball up than SV, right?

JJJ, Johnson, and Vescovi. Bailey can do in a pinch.

This will be our downfall this year. We play good defense and have a descent post game but we don’t have any consistent shooters this year. We will see how the year plays out but I don’t see a pure one on the team.
But we're a football school.......ohhhh wait a minute....never mind.

He said we had 3 other better options than vescovi outside of Johnson so neither Johnson nor Vescovi would count in his list.

I think he said 3 other options rather than 3 better options. I guess Ticket could be a 3rd possibility along with JJJ and Bailey, but I’m not too confident that DG wouldn’t be a turnover factory.

I think he said 3 other options rather than 3 better options. I guess Ticket could be a 3rd possibility along with JJJ and Bailey, but I’m not too confident that DG wouldn’t be a turnover factory.

You’re right, he said “other” but it was in the context of him asserting that vescovi shouldn’t be running point so presumably he thinks there were 3 better options. I’m thinking he probably just said 3 because it sounded good and didn’t have anyone specific in mind.

You’re right, he said “other” but it was in the context of him asserting that vescovi shouldn’t be running point so presumably he thinks there were 3 better options. I’m thinking he probably just said 3 because it sounded good and didn’t have anyone specific in mind.

I’ll let you two hash out your points. But I don’t think that there is a true PG on campus until Chandler steps into the mix. I think that Vescovi, JJJ, and surprisingly both Johnson and Springer are in the mix this year while it seems like Bailey hasn’t made a substantial move into the PG role as I had anticipated. I kind of like JJJ, KJ, and JS getting the most minutes but maybe SV developes his right hand and can hold down his TOs when pressured. Those 3 might have an advantage of better vision and ability to find open teammates when they’re trapped over Vescovi. I like SV’s experience over the 2 freshmen, but I like that they are getting work there this early in the season.

I’ll let you two hash out your points. But I don’t think that there is a true PG on campus until Chandler steps into the mix. I think that Vescovi, JJJ, and surprisingly both Johnson and Springer are in the mix this year while it seems like Bailey hasn’t made a substantial move into the PG role as I had anticipated. I kind of like JJJ, KJ, and JS getting the most minutes but maybe SV developes his right hand and can hold down his TOs when pressured. Those 3 might have an advantage of better vision and ability to find open teammates when they’re trapped over Vescovi. I like SV’s experience over the 2 freshmen, but I like that they are getting work there this early in the season.

I agree with all of that

Reactions: OneVolNation
1. Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, Johnson and James are all excellent shooters. It was an off night. We missed 54 shots, more than half those were open looks. We probably won’t shoot that bad again all year.

2. We had a horrible shooting night, had our best defender on the bench in foul trouble for half the game, played a team that shot 20% over their normal 3 pt percentage and we’re still in the game at the end....that’s a team that will win a lot of games.

3. Vescovi needs to know he can’t drive a crowded lane. He’s a great player until he thinks he needs to be great, then it all falls apart. More than almost anyone on the team he can benefit from Barnes style of coaching.

4. Nkamhoua has to develop. We need reliable minutes from him off the bench. He has a huge upside, but has been really, really slow getting there. This is the problem with having to start Fulky, we don’t really have anyone to come in to add energy to the inside. ON seems your best bet, Uros still looks lost out there and Anosike is a one trick pony. One of those 3 has to be that guy. Fulk was brilliant at that a couple seasons ago.

5. Barnes doesn’t like to call timeouts. I get not wanting to break the flow of the game, but with a team this young it seems like they could benefit from a reset every now and then.

6. I see very little to be worried about at this point. It’s college basketball, you’re going to have games like this. The best team only wins about 80% of the time. We shouldn’t have lost to Bama, hopefully it’s a learning experience. There’s a good Arkansas team coming to town on Wednesday. Let’s see if things get back to normal before panicking.

1. Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, Johnson and James are all excellent shooters. It was an off night. We missed 54 shots, more than half those were open looks. We probably won’t shoot that bad again all year.

2. We had a horrible shooting night, had our best defender on the bench in foul trouble for half the game, played a team that shot 20% over their normal 3 pt percentage and we’re still in the game at the end....that’s a team that will win a lot of games.

3. Vescovi needs to know he can’t drive a crowded lane. He’s a great player until he thinks he needs to be great, then it all falls apart. More than almost anyone on the team he can benefit from Barnes style of coaching.

4. Nkamhoua has to develop. We need reliable minutes from him off the bench. He has a huge upside, but has been really, really slow getting there. This is the problem with having to start Fulky, we don’t really have anyone to come in to add energy to the inside. ON seems your best bet, Uros still looks lost out there and Anosike is a one trick pony. One of those 3 has to be that guy. Fulk was brilliant at that a couple seasons ago.

5. Barnes doesn’t like to call timeouts. I get not wanting to break the flow of the game, but with a team this young it seems like they could benefit from a reset every now and then.

6. I see very little to be worried about at this point. It’s college basketball, you’re going to have games like this. The best team only wins about 80% of the time. We shouldn’t have lost to Bama, hopefully it’s a learning experience. There’s a good Arkansas team coming to town on Wednesday. Let’s see if things get back to normal before panicking.
Good stuff. Barnes says he doesn’t like to call time outs because he wants his team to learn to work thru it. I have never understood that.

This will be our downfall this year. We play good defense and have a descent post game but we don’t have any consistent shooters this year. We will see how the year plays out but I don’t see a pure one on the team.
They couldn't even beat Alabama on their home court.

VN Store

Back