No. 1 Banner

Bballnut1952

With several days between games, I thought this would be an interesting and controversial topic to discuss on this board. I saw it on the UConn board and the opinions between the UConn fans and South Carolina fans were obviously quite different. I was just wondering what the folks here think considering all the banners you guys have hanging at TBA.

I'm sure the few South Carolina fans here will chime in.

At their home game before the Florida game, South Carolina unveiled a banner that says "Unanimous # 1 2019-2020".

Personally I think that is ridiculous.

What do you guys think?

Self-coronation? Tacky.
"Unanimous" redefined as 'a majority of writers poll voters and fewer than 100% of
coaches poll voters'? False

SC had one of the top three teams last season, and did not win any #1s on the basketball court, the only place that matters in determining who's the champion.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...

Ridiculous is a kind and generous characterization of Dawn's bogus banner.

With several days between games, I thought this would be an interesting and controversial topic to discuss on this board. I saw it on the UConn board and the opinions between the UConn fans and South Carolina fans were obviously quite different. I was just wondering what the folks here think considering all the banners you guys have hanging at TBA.

At their home game before the Florida game, South Carolina unveiled a banner that says "Unanimous # 1 2019-2020".

What do you guys think?
I would agree. It was a missed opportunity for SC for sure, but "Unanimous #1" is a tacky banner to hang up. Save it for NC, FF appearances and conference championships.

Just like in men's basketball, UVA is still the defending champion (even though it was 2019). No banner should be awarded for 2020 since there was no official champion. This is like UCF football claiming a national championship a couple of years ago when they went undefeated- may be fun for fans of that school, but shouldn't be claimed as an official title.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
When you give yourself a nickname, did you earn it?

"I am the champ!...I am the champ...I am.....................
tumblr_pb7x2eU0jl1w27jeoo1_400.gif

Reactions: Chippo and Jravol78
It's symbolic of one team trying to place itself in an elite class. To juxtapose an attitude; UConn cuts no nets but 1. They do not cut the League Tournament; District, or Region. There is only one thing that matters and that is winning the last six games.

Reactions: volfan__18
Crazy how people find ways to hate so much.
Really, you are calling this hate?

Really far from hate for me. I find it self serving and ridiculous.

You put up a banner based on the votes of writers and coaches. AND.....it's called unanimous. Now, both polls had them as No. 1 but within that poll it wasn't unanimous.

No, not hate. It's just incredulous.

Crazy how people find ways to hate so much.
not hate just ridiculous .... besides South Carolina who has else in women college basketball has put up #1 banners??

some of us hate everything uconn stands for but during that stint of 4 straight championships and being at the TOP of college basketball they hadnt put up a single "#1 banner"....also many of us know that Pat Summitt would NEVER put up a #1 banner but instead question why the players didnt win the national championship.....I like Dawn Staley but putting up a #1 banner is just embarrassing

What do you guys think?
LOL. They tryin too hard. 😂😂😂

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
not hate just ridiculous .... besides South Carolina who has else in women college basketball has put up #1 banners??

some of us hate everything uconn stands for but during that stint of 4 straight championships and being at the TOP of college basketball they hadnt put up a single "#1 banner"....also many of us know that Pat Summitt would NEVER put up a #1 banner but instead question why the players didnt win the national championship.....I like Dawn Staley but putting up a #1 banner is just embarrassing
I wonder if the two polls were split and they were only No. 1 in the AP poll, would they put up a banner saying "No. 1 in the AP Poll".

What makes it so stupid is that it's a banner based on a writer's opinion. And a coaches opinion. We know for a fact that some coaches don't even vote, they have an assistant do it.

There were 4 voters in the AP poll and 6 voters in the Coaches poll that voted Oregon No. 1.

How the hell is that unanimous?

Really, you are calling this hate?

Really far from hate for me. I find it self serving and ridiculous.

You put up a banner based on the votes of writers and coaches. AND.....it's called unanimous. Now, both polls had them as No. 1 but within that poll it wasn't unanimous.

No, not hate. It's just incredulous.

You feel how you want to feel but they did that as a team and as a university. They finished ranked #1 and decided to hang a banner and that’s something to be proud of tournament or not. Dawn knew she would get backlash because of it and she doesn’t care because she knows her team can prove it on the court also and since the season was cut short she didn’t want all of their hard work to be in vain. A lot of y’all have something to say but honestly the only team who should have something to say would be Oregon. No other team honestly stood a chance against that SC team last year anyway so it shouldn’t matter that much to the rest.....

You feel how you want to feel but they did that as a team and as a university. They finished ranked #1 and decided to hang a banner and that’s something to be proud of tournament or not. Dawn knew she would get backlash because of it and she doesn’t care because she knows her team can prove it on the court also and since the season was cut short she didn’t want all of their hard work to be in vain. A lot of y’all have something to say but honestly the only team who should have something to say would be Oregon. No other team honestly stood a chance against that SC team last year anyway so it shouldn’t matter that much to the rest.....
don't try to defend something like this, spur

Call it what you want we and she don’t care lol. Why would Dawn give a damn knowing she has one of the best teams annually in the country and they could back it up on the court? The banner was to honor all the hard work those young ladies put in Last year. They ended the short season #1 so why not?

VN Store

Back