The Official #7 Tennessee vs. Alabama Game Thread, 6:00 PM ET, ESPN2

A lot coaches, CRB included, sit players the entire 1st half when they pick up a 2nd foul. I've never understood that - especially if it's an indispensable player like Pons. And Pons doesn't foul that often anyway. The bigger risk was playing without him for SO long.
They would’ve drove the ball at him every trip down the floor just like they did at the start of the 2nd half.

Reactions: Volinnooga
They would’ve drove the ball at him every trip down the floor just like they did at the start of the 2nd half.
This is it, I used to be a shot blocking machine but I had to realize that sometimes officials see fouls when there really wasn't one. So I learned to not go after every shot to block it.

This university is such an embarrassing let down, one right after another especially when it comes to Alabubba.

Forgive the delayed response . Took a nap and just finished the recording that I just knew would be a beat down. Sadly I was mistaken. What a $hit show.Looked like a classic case of one team shooting lights out and the other team shooting bricks. WTF was wrong ? Not to make light of COVID but that looked like CRB sneaked a team out there that had all tested positive & were suffering from the lethargy that accompanies the virus. Perhaps like that scene in the basketball diaries when they all took a bunch of pharmaceuticals before the game ?? No energy, no sense of urgency , and bricks, bricks & bricks !

I just fast forwarded through to the end but for those who watched this debacle I have a couple of questions :
1. What caused the tech in the 1st half?
2. How bad did Springers injury look ?

I‘m no chicken little and have watched basketball long enough to know that sometimes these types of games happen so I’m not really that concerned . I’m confident that CRB will use it as a teaching moment & I expect that we will see a 180 degree turn in the next game but damnit man, what a dreadful showing that was.

I’m just curious how many of you were around for the Wade Houston years?
If you were, I’m not sure how some of you survived them?!
GBO!!
I either watched or listened to every game of the CWH error. Fortunately for my liver I was still in my pre-teen/early teenage years & living in my parents house. Getting a bottle of booze was quite the ordeal & hiding it’s effects even more so .... my mom had a highly sensitive radar . I could sneak a few sips out of Dads hidden Johnny Walker Green but that was never a sure thing ....again moms radar. The main reason her radar was so finely tuned was because of dad.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Didnt read the whole thread, but has it been brought up that the scorer's table screwed us outta of a point! Around the 8:50 mark of the 2nd half Victor Bailey hits a clear 3 called a 3 by the annoucers and we were only given 2 points for it! Never fixed that I could tell. Whoever is running the scoreboard should be demoted to a towel boy! Not that it prolly woulda mattered, but pretty sad for that to happen on your home court!!

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Much lower expectations. That's how lol
I guess I just have a different perspective. Growing up, football was rolling, for the most part. All I’ve ever known was a competitive program, which is why it’s so hard for me to stomach now. Basketball was a different story. I never thought we would ever have a good basketball program, so I guess I’m just happy that we are growing in that aspect.
GBO!!

This is it, I used to be a shot blocking machine but I had to realize that sometimes officials see fouls when there really wasn't one. So I learned to not go after every shot to block it.
Pons needs to watch some highlights of one of my favorites...Bill Russell. Instead of trying to block the ball into the next county or smash the hell out of it off the backboard, it's enough to block the ball, keep it in play or block it toward one of your teammates. The violence he carries into his blocks might look like a foul to these yahoos employed but the SEC.

Reactions: Volhoops
Anyone saying Vescovi isn't a solid player doesn't know the game. He is super young and has some limitations athletically but is a creative passer, makes some good floater on ball fakes, is a great set shooter and rebounds well for his size. His defense has improved this year too. Very solid college player that is a bit of a tweeter but will have a long pro career overseas after leaving UT as one of our better all-time assist and 3 point shot leaders and will be in the 1000 point club.

Heck, he might even exceed all that once he gets more experience and practice. The kid is young.

Anyone that believes this doesn’t know the game. He is a below average shooter. He has below average assists for a PG. He has zero ability to create his own shot or create easy baskets for his teammates. I suppose when you’re on the bottom there’s no way to go but up.

Everyone complaining that Vescovi is not an “elite” PG, how many elite PG’s are there in college basketball? 3, 4, maybe 5?
I don’t ever recall anyone labeling him elite, LMAO.
Tennessee fans have become the Philadelphia Eagle fans of college sports. I swear to god, some of you would chuck oranges at Santa Claus if he were on the court.🤦‍♂️
GBO!!
Maybe not if he switched from red to orange.

Forgive the delayed response . Took a nap and just finished the recording that I just knew would be a beat down. Sadly I was mistaken. What a $hit show.Looked like a classic case of one team shooting lights out and the other team shooting bricks. WTF was wrong ? Not to make light of COVID but that looked like CRB sneaked a team out there that had all tested positive & were suffering from the lethargy that accompanies the virus. Perhaps like that scene in the basketball diaries when they all took a bunch of pharmaceuticals before the game ?? No energy, no sense of urgency , and bricks, bricks & bricks !

I just fast forwarded through to the end but for those who watched this debacle I have a couple of questions :
1. What caused the tech in the 1st half?
2. How bad did Springers injury look ?

I‘m no chicken little and have watched basketball long enough to know that sometimes these types of games happen so I’m not really that concerned . I’m confident that CRB will use it as a teaching moment & I expect that we will see a 180 degree turn in the next game but damnit man, what a dreadful showing that was.
1. The technical occurred because Barnes spoke to a ref, that’s pretty much all you can assume. He was grilling one ref for a good bit, and continued it through a timeout. However, the ref on the other side of the floor called the Tech from 40 feet away. The ref he had been talking too and the other ref near them didn’t seem upset with him.

2. Didn’t get a great look at Springer, but it seemed like it was down around the ankle/Achilles area. He didn’t look to be in bad pain on the bench, more frustrated than anything.

Very true. But, Texas might be one of the best 5 teams in the country right now. Alabama is just a team that can get streaky with the three ball. No shame in getting beat down by Texas.
I am not going to shame the Basketball Vols because of the game last night and you have no basis on which to shame them either. Alabama has a good basketball team and they will be in the NCAA if one is played this year. Time for people to get behind our Athletic programs and quit condemning every thing that they think is not absolutely perfect. Treat others as you would have others treat you. We need a lot more understanding is all phases of our live, especially now with all the turmoil currently in this World. One only lives once, so why act like decently to your fellow man.

1. The technical occurred because Barnes spoke to a ref, that’s pretty much all you can assume. He was grilling one ref for a good bit, and continued it through a timeout. However, the ref on the other side of the floor called the Tech from 40 feet away. The ref he had been talking too and the other ref near them didn’t seem upset with him.

2. Didn’t get a great look at Springer, but it seemed like it was down around the ankle/Achilles area. He didn’t look to be in bad pain on the bench, more frustrated than anything.

Barnes picked up the technical because the refs had made a mistake that they could have corrected by looking at the game video, but they refused. I think it was that they gave a Bama foul to a wrong player. It should have been a 2nd on one of their key players and they gave it to somebody else.

I saw Springer walk along the sideline later in the game and he did not appear to be in pain. I did not see that he needed any support such as crutches. Hopefully he will be back in a few days.

Didnt read the whole thread, but has it been brought up that the scorer's table screwed us outta of a point! Around the 8:50 mark of the 2nd half Victor Bailey hits a clear 3 called a 3 by the annoucers and we were only given 2 points for it! Never fixed that I could tell. Whoever is running the scoreboard should be demoted to a towel boy! Not that it prolly woulda mattered, but pretty sad for that to happen on your home court!!
I noticed the same.

VN Store

Back