Tennessee has no shooters

I had high hopes but I think you're right. I think it will be Bailey or Springer. Johnson defense is ahead of his offense. James acts like he can't get off a shot.

Agree. I though JJJ would be a Breyer shooter after he worked on his game during off season. It’s still early in the season.

I’m a lefty and swear the ball has a different rotation leaving my hand than a righty-lol. And we have five in our starting line up.
Vescovi forces things and I see what Barnes referred to last week when he said Vescovi put his teammates in difficult situations. He (will all of them) always picks up his dribble. He has a nice shot though if he could just develop more consistency .

No, what we don’t have is a big man to get us some easy points in the post and on putbacks. Shooters will have off nights, that’s why it‘s essential to have a different way to get easy buckets.

We couldn't have played a 5 tonight bc Alabama went 5 guards basically and go dribble drive. Fulk wasn't in game final 8 mins bc he could not guard drives

Generally - TN's biggest problem is and will be lack of a 5 man. Alabama comes into the Tommy Bowl year after year and beats us even with lessor talent. It's odd.......

We miss how many open shots? Is your strategy not to have open shots? I think maybe you are anti Rick Barnes. Its ok to admit it.
I don’t like Barnes’ offense. I’ve said that from day one. I think it’s a big part of his lack of postseason success. I like Barnes fine. Great guy. Tonight was a prelude to where teams will attack and expose. He’s allowed Vescovi too many stupid mistakes. Springer needs to be staring at PG. They need more structure on offense in running screens and setting up shooters.

jjj needs a kick in the ass.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Generally - TN's biggest problem is and will be lack of a 5 man. Alabama comes into the Tommy Bowl year after year and beats us even with lessor talent. It's odd.......
I thought Uros might have given a lift. This isn’t the typical Bama team of thug ballers. This is a finesse team. They exposed how slow we are in spots.

I thought Uros might have given a lift. This isn’t the typical Bama team of thug ballers. This is a finesse team. They exposed how slow we are in spots.
So we were too slow and you think subbing in our slowest player is a good idea? Kinda weird but I would have been okay with trying it at the end of the first half I guess. Couldn’t have been much worse than the results with Pember in. No offense to Pember, he just isn’t ready yet

Reactions: Vol49er and LAVol1
This will be our downfall this year. We play good defense and have a descent post game but we don’t have any consistent shooters this year. We will see how the year plays out but I don’t see a pure one on the team.

Well there's always Football!

I don’t like Barnes’ offense. I’ve said that from day one. I think it’s a big part of his lack of postseason success. I like Barnes fine. Great guy. Tonight was a prelude to where teams will attack and expose. He’s allowed Vescovi too many stupid mistakes. Springer needs to be staring at PG. They need more structure on offense in running screens and setting up shooters.

jjj needs a kick in the ass.

Ok. How many unguarded shots did we miss tonight. How many teams CAN play Bama's offense and be successful? Spinger is very good and it absolutely killed us when he went out with injury. I think more on defense than offense.

Reactions: LAVol1
So we were too slow and you think subbing in our slowest player is a good idea? Kinda weird but I would have been okay with trying it at the end of the first half I guess. Couldn’t have been much worse than the results with Pember in. No offense to Pember, he just isn’t ready yet
He would have presented a clear match up problem. Especially when Pons was on bench. If Pember is getting minutes? Come on man.

Reactions: Lankykong

Bama plays small ball with multiple 3 point shooters. Jones is a 6’8” guard who was guarded by Fulky at one point. Lack of a 5 tonight had no bearing. I believe Barnes is 3-3 against them, and they have some talent.

Reactions: cardvolfan
He would have presented a clear match up problem. Especially when Pons was on bench. If Pember is getting minutes? Come on man.
I just haven’t been impressed with him but I know what you mean. Pember theoretically should have been able to defend better than Uros this game. I think Uros’ role is against 7 ft stiffs in the mold of Roy Hibbert more than short athletic guys

This will be our downfall this year. We play good defense and have a descent post game but we don’t have any consistent shooters this year. We will see how the year plays out but I don’t see a pure one on the team.
decent post play? Did you watch the game?

Reactions: Orange DNA
Don't recall mentioning anything about Alabama's post scoring.
I believe he was referring to the post where you stated we need solid post scoring to open up for the guards. Bama had not post scoring but their guards seemingly scored at will.

I just haven’t been impressed with him but I know what you mean. Pember theoretically should have been able to defend better than Uros this game. I think Uros’ role is against 7 ft stiffs in the mold of Roy Hibbert more than short athletic guys
Pember got tossed to the floor and then muffed two easy scoring opportunities. I think Uros would have done better. Sad to see ON have a bad game. Bama set UT up knowing how they switch and get out of position.

Yes, Alabama found a weakness and was able to attack our defense. But they still hit 50% from 3, meanwhile we were 19% from 3 and lost by 8. We also lost one of better scorers in Springer. If we just shoot slightly better or Bama doesn't got on a 5/6 run from the 3 pointer we win.

My point is. It took alot if things going wrong for us to lose. Even with Bana getting alot of looks from 3, we should shoot better than we did and win.

I think it’s our post scoring that’s bad. Fulkerson and pons are basically our only legitimate post scoring options. Pons can hit the post fade-away but is inconsistent, Fulkerson gets out muscled against any other sec post players. Barnes needs to land some stud big men.
Fulkerson more than held his own against the Mizzou big man who had a good game today against the razor backs and other big men we have played so far something was wrong with him tonight did not play down the stretch the camera showed him once bent over back against the wall I wondered if he was sick.

UT missed too many freebies tonight and Alabama was hot from 3 point land in the 2nd half and those were the key factors to the loss tonight.

Reactions: LAVol1

VN Store

Back