FWIW ....Meyer planning on coaching the Jaguars

He was called a terrible hire that wouldn't ever work in the SEC on this very board when UF hired him.

He's worked out at every stop to this point, definitely worth a shot.
Coaching college and pro are two very different things. He doesn't get a recruiting advantage. His system is no longer innovative. It's just the way offense is ran. NFL even trending that way. He has no experience being the boss to a roster full of people who make as much money then he does.

It would be hilarious if he did but I am guessing he grabs Fields for QB if he ends up with the job.
It will definitely be interesting to see if they go with Fields or Lawrence. I’m sure he knows Fields, but he never actually coached him so that would be an out if he wanted to go with Lawrence. Then again it may not be his call to make if the front office is making all the personnel decisions.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
It will definitely be interesting to see if they go with Fields or Lawrence. I’m sure he knows Fields, but he never actually coached him so that would be an out if he wanted to go with Lawrence. Then again it may not be his call to make if the front office is making all the personnel decisions.

True. I would think Fields fits what he wants to do in his offense more but it may not be his decision.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Terrible hire by Jags if true

Bro.....

Have you seen the **** these teams keep shoveling around among one another......especially the Jags.

He may fail. Don't misunderstand. But, good Lord, half the time a coaching hire is made I usually am laughing.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Terrible hire by Jags if true
There's little reason for Urban to go to the NFL.

One of his biggest strengths is recruiting which is worthless in the NFL. He's used to and extremely good at motivating and "up coaching" young men, not grown men, some who have years of professional experience. He goes from being "one of the biggest fish in the pond" with a proven track record to being "an unproven rookie coach" facing many coaches with lots of pro experience.

The Jags might want to try this but I can't imagine Urban couldn't find a more comfortable, nearly as high paying, and totally in his wheelhouse as a recruiter and development coach position in college football.

As for now, he's got a sweet TV gig and time with the family. Good money, low stress, and still high profile. He's in a blessed spot now.

Trevor will be 1st qb in draft ,not even close. Hated Dabo turned him into a option qb in his last game. Wth?

Makes sense. If he really does care about more time for his health and family, the nfl is the place to be

Reactions: Vol423
When the going gets tough Urban gets chest pains. He's only had one QB that fared well in the NFL after all his stops and it was early in his HC coaching career, the guy from Utah. He's not what he's been cracked up to be with QBs. Perhaps that's why he wants the Jags so he has a QB coming that doesn't need a lot of grooming. Just one example out of a myriad, Tim Tebow did not know how to properly take a snap from under center when he arrived in the NFL. I shiznit you not.

Reactions: Border Vol
I’m absolutely here for this! Legendary coach in the area bringing the #1 overall draft pick with him, I may even renew my Jags season tickets if this happens.

If not Meyer, they are also targeting Ryan Day... That makes more sense since he has NFL experience.. But would he ever leave Ohio State???????? I wouldn't.

If not Meyer, they are also targeting Ryan Day... That makes more sense since he has NFL experience.. But would he ever leave Ohio State???????? I wouldn't.
Day won't leave OSU until he wins a championship, if he has any sense at all. He's got his best, likely only, chance there. After that, bets are off.

Unless he hates recruiting. Ohio State is a job if he keeps his nose clean and does what they have been doing super easy job in a weak conference. Why most coaches try NFL is to take a break from the recruiting.

Day won't leave OSU until he wins a championship, if he has any sense at all. He's got his best, likely only, chance there. After that, bets are off.

I don't know...I also think he would be crazy to leave that Ferrari job, and he's also a fantastic recruiter, just as good as Meyer, maybe better... If I was the Jags I would be on the phone with him night and day as he is a great coach.

VN Store

Back