Kiffin signs new contract extension with Ole Miss

Hey UT Chancellor, Board Members, Boosters, Fulmer and likes. Look what our Lil Bro Texas has done. They took UT brand. They almost have our colors. And now they're showing us how bad they want to get back to being perennial powerhouse. Get a pad and take some notes.
If you think Sark will take them to a perennial powerhouse, you’d sadly mistaken. We can learn from this: don’t fire coaches to placate the fanbase until you have a truly solid hire. Sark isn’t a solid hire and I predict he’ll be fired by year 3 because he’ll have similar runs to Herman’s.

With Sark they are getting what they had with Herman with less of a HC resume. Good luck

So Texas will fire a guy who has gone 32-18, played for a conference title, won four bowls in four years, including a Sugar Bowl but we cannot move on from a guy that has gone 16-19 and has one lucky comeback bowl win? This complacency is why our program is where it is at right now.

This all day long!! Fulmer is killing what little love this fan base has left for him a bit more every day,

I can’t believe that a .300 winning percentage in any year other than Year 1 gets a coach another year at UT. Just sad.

Reactions: onevol74
It doesn’t seem like good hire to me. I mean I get the frustration with Herman, but if you go and read up on Sark’s tenures at Washington and USC, they weren’t overly impressive either. 34-29 at Washington and then fired after a 9 win season at USC because he’s an openly admitted alcoholic. Screams spur of the moment, dumb decision by Texas AD.

Pretty sure the Texas AD doesn’t make that kind of decision.

Okay? The question is not if he’s better than Pruitt, a lot of people would be on that list. The post I was responding to said they’d take Herman in a heartbeat. There’s nothing in his resume to suggest that he’d be successful here. Again if he couldn’t get it done at Texas, which is arguably the best job in the country and in a much weaker conference, what makes you think that he’d be good here?

Not really best job in the country if you show improvement and still get fired.....

All kidding aside there must have been a lot of other factors with the money guys here. His record doesn’t warrant that buy-out. If he were .500 or below I’d see it.

Sarkisian was one of my pics as HC. In the Big 12 offense reigns supreme. Perfect fit for him.

It doesn’t seem like good hire to me. I mean I get the frustration with Herman, but if you go and read up on Sark’s tenures at Washington and USC, they weren’t overly impressive either. 34-29 at Washington and then fired after a 9 win season at USC because he’s an openly admitted alcoholic. Screams spur of the moment, dumb decision by Texas AD.

She wanted Campbell or Urban but Urban wasnt going to deal with all the off field obligations there with his health concerns....Urban will only coach at USC if he comes back.

Ultimately one of the reasons Saban rebuffed Texas was control. Bama gave up control to him, Texas wouldnt.

Oh so they should have held on to Charlie Strong. Makes sense.
lol... What I’m saying is don’t hold them up as some sort of example. They’ve been trying to buy success since they ran Mack Brown off 12 years ago and they’ve consistently fallen on their face just like we have.

Wait and see the result before talking about how great they are.

No thanks. If you can’t get it done at Texas, you’re not going to be successful at Tennessee.
Herman was 8 points from a perfect 10-0 season this year. Texas lost to TCU by 2, Iowa State by 3, and tied Oklahoma in regulation, and wound up losing in 4 overtimes. They only needed 3 more points, 4 more points, and 1 more point to be perfect. Texas is nuts to fire him.

So they dump a guy who has a coaching record of 54-22 and 5-0 in bowl games for a guy who couldn't cut it at USC (was a alcoholic) and a coaching record of 46-35 and 2-2 in bowl games. Just because he was a good OC at Alabama, hell Butch Jones would be a good OC with all that talent. Thats a move that sets a program back 10 years. Say hello to mediocrity Texas.
It’s coach firing 101. Heck,LSU hired orgeron, y’all remember that? I thought he was about on par with Derek Dooley, I honestly did.

If you think Sark will take them to a perennial powerhouse, you’d sadly mistaken. We can learn from this: don’t fire coaches to placate the fanbase until you have a truly solid hire. Sark isn’t a solid hire and I predict he’ll be fired by year 3 because he’ll have similar runs to Herman’s.

I think it is obvious that they had their sights on Sark weeks ago. Just waited for him to get closer to the end of his season to announce it.

Texas plays big boy athletics. It doesn’t always work, but they go big or go home.

lol... What I’m saying is don’t hold them up as some sort of example. They’ve been trying to buy success since they ran Mack Brown off 12 years ago and they’ve consistently fallen on their face just like we have.

I don’t think they’re trying to buy success. I think it’s more of when you know, you know. It’s just like after 16 with butch, you knew that was the pinnacle of the program underneath his leadership. With coach Pruitt were a .500 ball club with the occasional upset victory. Striking while the iron is hot is what builds a winner.

Pretty sure the Texas AD doesn’t make that kind of decision.
I meant AD as the athletic department as a whole, not necessarily just the AD himself. But I will say, if you go and read the statement, it sounds like the AD made the call. I’m sure he was pressured, but it stills feels like a firing to make the fans happy. But it’ll backfire.

Because throwing a temper tantrum and rolling the dice on another coaching change has worked so well for them the last 10 years.

I get wanting to see change. But how many times do you have to see crappy administrations and booster meddling do the same thing over and over again?
Agreed. Texas is in this position to begin with because they got impatient and lost faith in Mack Brown to right the ship. He would have. Their basketball program would also be better off today if they had just left Barnes alone (but thankfully for us, they didn't).

I think it is obvious that they had their sights on Sark weeks ago. Just waited for him to get closer to the end of his season to announce it.

Texas plays big boy athletics. It doesn’t always work, but they go big or go home.
Well they sure didn’t go big here.

For those of you who think a guy like Herman can’t get it done. How about we hire a guy like that. If after 5 years of 9-3 or 8-4, we aren’t happy, we can do what Texas did and try to upgrade! It will be a lot easier after 5 years of LEGITIMATE bowl appearances, robust attendance, and more competitive outcomes with our rivals.

VN Store

Back