The Official #7 Tennessee vs. Alabama Game Thread, 6:00 PM ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#7 Tennessee Volunteers: 7-0 (1-0 SEC)

https%3A%2F%2Fallfortennessee.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2017%2F07%2F15379561-850x560.jpeg

vs.

Alabama Crimson Tide: 6-3 (1-0 SEC)

SV2EL75MGVGHPET7YKC4SIBNOA.jpg

GAME 8 | TENNESSEE vs. ALABAMA - Jan. 2, 2021 | 6:05 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (4,191)

Line: UT -9.5
O/U: 143

TV: ESPN2 / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
XM: 81 / Internet: 81
Online: WatchESPN app

Alabama Game Notes

EqrQ3szXMAMmkJL

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• Tennessee trails the all-time series with Alabama, 70-79, dating to 1914.
• When the series is contested in Knoxville, UT owns a 47-22 edge.
• The Vols won last season's lone meeting on Feb. 4, 2020, by a score of 69-68 at Coleman Coliseum.
• Rick Barnes was an assistant coach at Alabama during the 1985-86 season.
• Tennessee was set to face Alabama in the 2020 SEC Tournament in Nashville on March 12 when the COVID-19 pandemic brought the 2019-20 season to a screeching halt.

A WIN WOULD...

• Give Tennessee a three-game win streak in its series vs. Alabama.
• Leave Rick Barnes two wins shy of tying Phog Allen and Don Haskins for 20th on the all-time Division I wins list.

LAYUP LINES

• Tennessee has matched the 7-0 start of its 2010-11 team. A win over Alabama would give the Vols their best start since opening the 2000-01 season 9-0.
• Tennessee's 20-point win at 12th-ranked Missouri Wednesday (73-53) stands as UT's largest margin of victory against a top-25 opponent on the road in program history.
• Tennessee has won 79 percent of its games as a ranked team during the Rick Barnes era (62-17).
• This week marks Tennessee's 23rd appearance in the AP top 10 under head coach Rick Barnes.
• The Vols have shot 50 percent or better in each of their last four games.
• Tennessee has scored 96 more points in the paint than its opponents this season (+13.7 ppg).
• The Vols have won each of their last five games by 20 or more points.

DEFENSE WINS

• Tennessee leads the NCAA in scoring defense, allowing just 52.7 points per game.
• According to KenPom, the Vols rank second nationally (trailing only Texas Tech) in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 85.6 points per 100 possessions so far this season. College teams average close to 70 possessions per game.
• The Vols are forcing 18.1 turnovers per game while converting those turnovers into 20.3 points per game. Tennessee's turnover margin stands at +7.4 (eighth nationally).
• Over its last four games, Tennessee is scoring an average of 23.3 points off turnovers.
• Reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year Yves Pons has 84 blocks in his last 38 games.
• Only once this season has a team made at least five consecutive field goal attempts against the Vols (Cincinnati made five).

ABOUT ALABAMA

• Alabama has had mixed bag of results to begin its 2020-21 campaign, with a 6-3 overall record and a 1-0 mark in conference play after taking down Ole Miss, 82-64, Tuesday night in Tuscaloosa.
• Second-year head coach Nate Oats aims to build off the immediate improvement the Tide saw in 2019-20, as he returns four of his five regular starters from last year's squad that finished ninth in the SEC.
• On the offensive end, the Crimson Tide have put together a largely balanced attack, with four of those five returning starters, averaging at least 12 points per game.
• The first of those is sophomore Jaden Shackelford, who has seen an increased role entering his second year in Tuscaloosa. The Hesperia, California, native is averaging a team-leading 13.4 points and was named the SEC Player of the Week on Monday after pouring in 26 points in the Tide's victory over ETSU on Dec. 22.
• Classmate Jahvon Quinerly joins Shackelford in the backcourt, ranking second on the team in scoring (13.1 ppg) and first in assists (3.2 apg). Quinerly has also been incredibly efficient from the field, tallying a team-best field-goal percentage of .500 (42-84).
• In the frontcourt, it's been all about senior Herbert Jones. Jones ranks third on the team in scoring, with 12.1 points per game, and has been a beast on the boards, reeling in a team-high 6.3 rebounds per night. On the defensive end, he's recorded just under one block per game (0.9 bpg) and a team-leading 1.6 steals per game.
• Notable alumni of Alabama include author Harper Lee, best known for her 1960 novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, which won a Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and has become a classic of modern American Literature.

THE SERIES

• Tennessee trails the all-time series with Alabama, 70-79, dating to 1914.
• When the series is contested in Knoxville, UT owns a 47-22 edge.
• The Vols won last season's lone meeting on Feb. 4, 2020, by a score of 69-68 at Coleman Coliseum.
• Rick Barnes was an assistant coach at Alabama during the 1985-86 season.
• Tennessee was set to face Alabama in the 2020 SEC Tournament in Nashville on March 12 when the COVID-19 pandemic brought the 2019-20 season to a screeching halt.

Wow. TN is 23-57 at Bama and neutral sites.

I haven’t seen Alabama play yet so while they look ok on paper, I think Tennessee clamps down again.
Closer than I want it to be, which means a 20 point win over the Tide is not enough, I say 72-65

Good stuff. In looking at some advanced metric stats, Alabama is not very good in any of their efficiency stats directly tied to shooting. Defensively, they're no where close to Tennessee either. I think we get the W unless some player (or two) goes crazy on us.

Also, in PER (Player Efficiency Rating) Alabama has one player that comes in at 20 or above (21.8). Tennessee has FOUR with Springer (28.1), James (27.5), Fulkerson (23.8), and Bailey (22.5).

Also, something else much discussed is in regard to shooting. TS (True Shooting %) takes into account a player's 2-point, 3-point, and free throw efficiencies. Vescovi stands at .674, Springer .663, Bailey .622, and James .613. For reference, we smoke Alabama in this category, too.

Springer appears to be our best player all-around according to advanced offensive and defensive metrics. He draws lots of fouls, and his FTr (free throws per field goal attempted) is an astonishing 0.500. JJJ is close behind as our most productive player combined.

Good stuff. In looking at some advanced metric stats, Alabama is not very good in any of their efficiency stats directly tied to shooting. Defensively, they're no where close to Tennessee either. I think we get the W unless some player (or two) goes crazy on us.

Also, in PER (Player Efficiency Rating) Alabama has one player that comes in at 20 or above (21.8). Tennessee has FOUR with Springer (28.1), James (27.5), Fulkerson (23.8), and Bailey (22.5).

Also, something else much discussed is in regard to shooting. TS (True Shooting %) takes into account a player's 2-point, 3-point, and free throw efficiencies. Vescovi stands at .674, Springer .663, Bailey .622, and James .613. For reference, we smoke Alabama in this category, too.

Springer appears to be our best player all-around according to advanced offensive and defensive metrics. He draws lots of fouls, and his FTr (free throws per field goal attempted) is an astonishing 0.500. JJJ is close behind as our most productive player combined.
Probably why Springer is logging the most minutes of the freshmen

Our players need the experience of facing an opponent who's having a crazy-hot shooting night despite good defense. I wonder if tonight's the night...

Reactions: cardvolfan

Thank you cardvolfan! Math was always a challenge for me, but I LOVE basketball stats!

Mind sharing your favorite resources for BB stats?

Thank you cardvolfan! Math was always a challenge for me, but I LOVE basketball stats!

Mind sharing your favorite resources for BB stats?
Glad to. Sports-Reference is where I get most of my information. You can get a full spectrum of statistics and information.....anything from common, most used stats to advanced metric things, which I like because the deeper you dig, the better the answers as to why Tennessee or your favorite team is doing well, or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruisedOrange
UT - 73
Bama - 65

I think Bama will make some 3 point shots early on but our defense shuts them down in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Border Vol

VN Store

Back