Pons has far exceeded most fans expectations

LAVol1

In May 2019, I posted that Pons would become a superstar. Most of the comments on that thread doubted the prediction.
He blocked 4 shots and probably altered 10 or more shots last night--enough to account for the entire margin of victory. He is THE BEAST of NCAA basketball. It's not likely we'll see a more dominant defensive player in a Vol uniform in our lifetime. I would not be surprised to see him become a lottery pick. How many times did you say "WOW!" after he made a play last night?

Looking for Pons to be the biggest surprise of 2019-20 season

In May 2019, I posted that Pons would become a superstar. Most of the comments on that thread doubted the prediction.
He blocked 4 shots and probably altered 10 or more shots last night--enough to account for the entire margin of victory. He is THE BEAST of NCAA basketball. It's not likely we'll see a more dominant defensive player in a Vol uniform in our lifetime. I would not be surprised to see him become a lottery pick. How many times did you say "WOW!" after he made a play last night?

He clearly played great last night, but he has had other games where he has been MIA. If he can consistently play at or close to the level he played at last night we are in business. He will not be a lotttery pick - was thinking earlier this year he may not even be a pick. Hopefully thats a breakout game that we will see a lot more of.

He's nowhere near Clyde Drexler but I can see him carving out a NBA role as a Tony-Allen type that can guard 2s, 3s, and some stretch 4s.....

Reactions: vols 30

I doubted it. I knew he was as freakishly athletic, but he seemed to have little to no bball IQ. He even struggled on defense. What a transformation. He developed a shooting touch. He has incredible recovery skills and is showing scoring instincts that were absent before.

I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man
th

I'm afraid of a Pons injury derailing the Vol train. The way he jumps around he's subject to knee problems.

Early on he reminded me of Emmanuel Negedu off his highlight videos. Unfortunately we never got to see what he could do. After his first season, Stanley Asumnu at best is what I envisioned. The X-Factor seems to be Coach Barnes. If a player is willing to work and put the time in, Barnes has a proven track record of making his players better.
Pons has put in the work and has earned and deserves everything he gets. It’s hard to believe that the first set of weights he ever touched were once he was at UT.
There were some that thought he needed to transfer down a level. . . Boy, were they wrong.

He has certainly exceeded mine.

He was always a great athlete, and a good defender. However there was a time when it appeared to me he was shy to shoot.

He had a period when his shots simply didn’t fall. I though he became scared to shoot. If he was or not.....doesn’t matter now. Last years off season he worked hard and it showed last season. Hit or not he never seemed to shy away from shooting.

He is a very good player. He is great on D and when need be......he can be great on O.

I personally think he has improved his game more than anyone I can think of in a very long time.

He has certainly exceeded mine.

He was always a great athlete, and a good defender. However there was a time when it appeared to me he was shy to shoot.

He had a period when his shots simply didn’t fall. I though he became scared to shoot. If he was or not.....doesn’t matter now. Last years off season he worked hard and it showed last season. Hit or not he never seemed to shy away from shooting.

He is a very good player. He is great on D and when need be......he can be great on O.

I personally think he has improved his game more than anyone I can think of in a very long time.
Armani Moore, Josh Richardson

Reactions: minorvol

I'm one of those. I considered him just an athlete limited to dunking. Really thought he'd transfer out. The progress he's made is nothing short of astounding to me. Never in my wildest dreams did I see him making the NBA, but it certainly appears that's his future. Great job by him and Barnes coaching him up.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Early on he reminded me of Emmanuel Negedu off his highlight videos. Unfortunately we never got to see what he could do. After his first season, Stanley Asumnu at best is what I envisioned. The X-Factor seems to be Coach Barnes. If a player is willing to work and put the time in, Barnes has a proven track record of making his players better.
Pons has put in the work and has earned and deserves everything he gets. It’s hard to believe that the first set of weights he ever touched were once he was at UT.
There were some that thought he needed to transfer down a level. . . Boy, were they wrong.
He was actually a coveted player in Europe.

I still think for Pons to make it in the NBA he has to improve his ball handling and be able to shoot off the dribble.

I still think for Pons to make it in the NBA he has to improve his ball handling and be able to shoot off the dribble.

I think he is still learning how to use his abilities. So, I would not discount the possibility that he can add to his repertoire.

I think he is still learning how to use his abilities. So, I would not discount the possibility that he can add to his repertoire.
Seems to have the same intangibles that allowed Hakeem to flourish in the NBA.

Pons ability to defend in the interior (blocking and alternating shots) is above remarkable. The one area I have noticed during his career at UT is his inconsistent shot in the paint. He is just not a good shooter at this point. I still think he will get drafted in the NBA, but until he develops a productive shot that will be a tag on him.

VN Store

Back