Jim Caldwell

SmokeyDog1973

What are you guys thoughts on him as a coaching candidate at UT? He was quite successful in the NFL coached Peyton with the Colts and won a Super Bowl. I’m not sure if he has ever coached in college before though but Pete Carroll did very well at USC and Herman Edwards is doing pretty good at Arizona St.

What are you guys thoughts on him as a coaching candidate at UT? He was quite successful in the NFL coached Peyton with the Colts and won a Super Bowl. I’m not sure if he has ever coached in college before though but Pete Carroll did very well at USC and Herman Edwards is doing pretty good at Arizona St.
No - he lost SB as HC with Peyton, did not win a SB as HC. Also too even-keeled and unemotional to be a HC. But what do I know?A6421F68-6E38-46BD-ADF4-F115DDD070B6.jpeg

Last edited:
If you like Caldwell, you'd be in love with Clawson. He was 26-63 at Wake

He actually had six seasons with 3 wins or less. Even at Wake, it's amazing he kept a job as long as he did

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Caldwell is older and has had some health problems that kept him out of coaching for a bit in the past year or two.
Probably a nice guy. He would make a good Qb coach if not a HC. He actually had a better HC record than I thought in the NFL. Terrible at Wake though.

Um not just no but HELL NO!!!

Reactions: N.ohio vol
It’s Pruitt, get use to it I guess, no other choice but to bitch and that ain’t fun

Was HC at Wake Forest. Sucked at Wake Forest.

He wouldn't be a good HC here and is a pro guy, but...
That was long ago.
Wake is a tough, tough place to win.
Lots of coaches flame at a job then win later on. Carroll, The Hoodies are two examples

He wouldn't be a good HC here and is a pro guy, but...
That was long ago.
Wake is a tough, tough place to win.
Lots of coaches flame at a job then win later on. Carroll, The Hoodies are two examples
Clawson had 4 straight winning seasons. Jim Grobe had a winning record in 5-13 seasons including 11 and 9 win efforts. Caldwell sucked even at that level. Nothing in the NFL to write home about either. Just an odd name to start a thread. What’s Rich Kotite doing nowadays?

THE_OFFICE_smh_gif.gif

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Clawson had 4 straight winning seasons. Jim Grobe had a winning record in 5-13 seasons including 11 and 9 win efforts. Caldwell sucked even at that level. Nothing in the NFL to write home about either. Just an odd name to start a thread. What’s Rich Kotite doing nowadays?
Check Caldwells record in the NFL. Not as bad as I thought and he was the first Detroit Lions coach to finish above 500 in a long time. Of course he inherited Dungy’s Colts team and everything fell apart when Manning got hurt.

No Thanks. Peyton carried him in Indy. He wasn't good at WF nor in Detroit. Good examples with Pete and Herm. I would consider Marvin Lewis. I respect that man so much.

1) He wasn't good in Detroit? He made the playoffs twice (first Detroit coach since Bobby Ross to make the playoffs twice) and only had 1 losing season in his 4 seasons. By Detroit standards he was outstanding, evidenced by the absolute garbage job his successor Matt "Never seen a sandwich I wouldn't eat" Patricia.

2) You say no to Caldwell but would consider Marvin Lewis? The same Lewis who was coach in Cincy for 16 years and had a grand total of ZERO playoff wins? 0-7, and never made it past the WC round.

To be clear I say no to both, but acting like Lewis is some major level above Caldwell is a bit laughable.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Check Caldwells record in the NFL. Not as bad as I thought and he was the first Detroit Lions coach to finish above 500 in a long time. Of course he inherited Dungy’s Colts team and everything fell apart when Manning got hurt.
“Not as bad as I thought” is our new standard.

VN Store

Back