Team News (current roster)

Not arrogant just the truth. Instead of calling people arrogant why not bring up some names of productive post players we have signed in the last 3 years........Oh, that's what I thought you have nothing.
Do we know what Corey Walker is? Do we know where ORN is next year? Fulk and Pons are quite the duo, as mentioned GW was 2x SECPOY, Alexander is making NBA money, you seem to be making a definitive statement on what you think the future looks like, that does seem a bit arrogant given the other factors.

That's quite arrogant. It's funny how people like you say these things. So, you know all that happens and you're pointing out a coaches "inabilities" for a team that is currently ranked 6th in the coaches poll. That's laughable.
All coaches have weaknesses. This has been a recent weakness of our staff. It's the truth. We may well look back in a few years and say it cost us championships. Just an athletic 6-9 sophmore/Junior post player that could rebound and defend would do wonders for us at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: i2amavol
Do we know what Corey Walker is? Do we know where ORN is next year? Fulk and Pons are quite the duo, as mentioned GW was 2x SECPOY, Alexander is making NBA money, you seem to be making a definitive statement on what you think the future looks like, that does seem a bit arrogant given the other factors.
A lot of next year and last year in that question. Pons was signed 4 years ago, Alexander and Fulky 5 years ago. I said recent. ON is a project player and there is nothing wrong with bringing in one of those type players occasionally but the jury is out on him.

Reactions: white65
All coaches have weaknesses. This has been a recent weakness of our staff. It's the truth. We may well back in a few years and say it cost us championships. Just an athletic 6-9 sophmore/Junior post player that could rebound and defend would do wonders for us at the moment.
Our starting 4 is a projected NBA pick, our starting 5 was preseason 1st team All-SEC...I’m not saying we couldn’t have more depth in the post but I don’t think it’s some glaring weakness.

Reactions: berryvol
A lot of next year and last year in that question. Pons was signed 4 years ago, Alexander and Fulky 5 years ago. I said recent. ON is a project player and there is nothing wrong with bringing in one of those type players occasionally but the jury is out on him.
Well most around the program expect Anosike and likely Fulk back next year, couple that with ORN and Walker and I’m not seeing much weakness in the post next year either that you speak of?

Again, we just signed a Top 50 6’7” athletic PF and he’s on the bench, so there’s a post recruiting battle win yet you ignore?

Not arrogant just the truth. Instead of calling people arrogant why not bring up some names of productive post players we have signed in the last 3 years........Oh, that's what I thought you have nothing.
You do understand saying Barnes has an "inability to recruit" post players is a slippery slope?The last two heralded examples are Jabari Smith and Pablo Banchero. Smith said it was important that his family be able to attend his games, and his home is an hour away from Auburn. Banchero, in deciding he was going to play in the eastern US, decided to pick Duke over UT. You can't fault a kid for picking the prestige of Duke. Yet, these are examples of his inability to recruit post players? Proximity and prestige are Barnes' fault?

Reactions: ArdentVol
Our starting 4 is a projected NBA pick, our starting 5 was preseason 1st team All-SEC...I’m not saying we couldn’t have more depth in the post but I don’t think it’s some glaring weakness.
Again, who have we signed recently? We have no solid backups for two seniors who have been around 4 or 5 years because of this.

You do understand saying Barnes has an "inability to recruit" post players is a slippery slope?The last two heralded examples are Jabari Smith and Pablo Banchero. Smith said it was important that his family be able to attend his games, and his home is an hour away from Auburn. Banchero, in deciding he was going to play in the eastern US, decided to pick Duke over UT. You can't fault a kid for picking the prestige of Duke. Yet, these are examples of his inability to recruit post players? Proximity and prestige are Barnes' fault?
Ultimately you have to get your guy or get a fallback guy that isn't just a project recruit. I think Barnes has been really close to landing one of these guys. Apparently so close that he has failed to have a backup plan. Honestly, if we have a great season and get a lot of publicity he will easily be able to correct this but I would like to have someone producing now.

Well most around the program expect Anosike and likely Fulk back next year, couple that with ORN and Walker and I’m not seeing much weakness in the post next year either that you speak of?

Again, we just signed a Top 50 6’7” athletic PF and he’s on the bench, so there’s a post recruiting battle win yet you ignore?
I'm cool with the mention of Walker. Regardless of how he turns out at least he is highly rated. But still he appears to be no help this year.

I don't think @ColinS is saying anything that crazy. Unless this is a pattern I'm unaware of. Barnes is great, love him and this team, but we are pretty thin on the frontcourt. It was mentioned Anosike and Fulk are probably back. Well yes, due to the wildest circumstances imaginable. What was the plan if we didn't get another year of eligibility, and what if they indeed do leave? Pember and Uros both appear to have sketchy upside or ability atm. ORN is finally looking good but still very raw. We have guards and wings for days, plus Kennedy and Mashack next year. Also I believe I read most on here talking about Walker as a wing/forward when he was being recruited. I don't think it's overly critical to say the one thing Barnes has lacked is success recruiting IMPACT frontcourt players the past 3-4 years.

I don't think @ColinS is saying anything that crazy. Unless this is a pattern I'm unaware of. Barnes is great, love him and this team, but we are pretty thin on the frontcourt. It was mentioned Anosike and Fulk are probably back. Well yes, due to the wildest circumstances imaginable. What was the plan if we didn't get another year of eligibility, and what if they indeed do leave? Pember and Uros both appear to have sketchy upside or ability atm. ORN is finally looking good but still very raw. We have guards and wings for days, plus Kennedy and Mashack next year. Also I believe I read most on here talking about Walker as a wing/forward when he was being recruited. I don't think it's overly critical to say the one thing Barnes has lacked is success recruiting IMPACT frontcourt players the past 3-4 years.
I agree with this, but this post is a lot more nuanced than just saying the staff has an inability to recruit good post players

Reactions: Ttucke11
I'm cool with the mention of Walker. Regardless of how he turns out at least he is highly rated. But still he appears to be no help this year.

I’d be curious to hear exactly what you’re looking for to help this year. Jabari Smith and Banchero don’t help this year. The staff was very happy to get Nkamhoua, and Anosike was one of the best post players on the transfer market. Corey Walker was a great get for a future stretch 4. Derrick Walker and DJ Burns leaving are the reason you see a “shortage” of post players. Fulkerson was All SEC last year and Pons turned into the best shot blocker in the conference. If you’re thinking every elite team needs 4 elite shot blockers & post scorers to be successful, then you’re just wrong. Would it help if Fulk was a couple inches taller? Sure. But it’s not detrimental. Tournaments are won on the backs of strong guard play every year.

It’s a fact Barnes weakness has been recruiting bigs. It’s why last year was a fail

the op is correct and the mob is wrong

It’s a fact Barnes weakness has been recruiting bigs. It’s why last year was a fail

I agree.

I started to jump in there earlier today, but just had too much going on. I agree with the idea that we have struggled to land top 100 range guys in the 6'9"+ range that play around the basket, at least on defense. Sure, we have gotten lesser rated guys and coached them up, but I don't think that is what ColinS was saying.

I am certainly encouraged by ORN's recent play. So, maybe this is not going to be much of an issue, but I have a feeling Anosike is going to struggle some against the better competition.

Again, who have we signed recently? We have no solid backups for two seniors who have been around 4 or 5 years because of this.
You again fail to mention the Top 50 post player signed who we’ve yet to see. It wasn’t long ago people were asking what we were going to do in the post when Grant and Kyle were gone, boom all of a sudden Pons and Fulk develop and Anosike is here providing solid depth. When the issue actually arises and is an issue let me know, you’re making a lot of assumptions for 11 months from now. How much different does it look if Fulk returns? Anosike? ORN takes another step? Walker looks like a Top 50 recruit? We sign a grad transfer big? Uros takes another step forward? We land BHH? There is so many unknowns at this point, but what is know is that we have had excellent post play going on 5 seasons, so to think it’s some major issue seems a bit foolish to me.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
And again, I don’t think many guys would be much help this year? You kind of just made that point? Walker is a Top 50 recruit yet can’t beat out ORN?

You’ve already stated there were multiple reasons last year was a fail (even though that story hadn’t ended), yet here you are trying to definitively make it sound like there’s just 1. You can just as easily point to not having another Pg option ready when turner went down as costing this team some wins? Or someone to replace Bowden when he struggled.

Last year was a failure because our two starting guards regressed, our bench wing wasn’t good enough, our bench post was young, and our starting PG didn’t arrive until midseason from overseas. Barnes’ weaknesses have always been substitutions and offensive identity. His teams get burnt out by tournament time because they typically aren’t deep enough and he doesn’t focus on the 3 ball enough which is essential when it comes to beating zones and tight defenses in the tourney.

Huge difference in saying..

“The staff has missed on some post guys of late, going to need to land some going forward or have some current guys make huge strides”

and

“Our staffs continued inability to recruit legitimate post players”

The more correct way isn’t necessarily bigs, it’s just that the 2017-2018 recruiting classes sucked. We got one player.

The fact is that since Grant and Fulk in 2016 we have signed 7 (if you count Pons, who isn’t really a post imo) post players. Pons, Kent, Burns, Walker, Nkamhou, Pember, and Uros. 3 of those were completely worthless. 1 has been good. 1 looks to have some upside but is still unproven. The other 2 still have time, but they have yet to show much. That’s 4 pretty rough frontcourt classes. Obviously in bball this can be fixed much quicker through transfers and impact freshman.

Reactions: sportsnut624
The fact is that since Grant and Fulk in 2016 we have signed 7 (if you count Pons, who isn’t really a post imo) post players. Pons, Kent, Burns, Walker, Nkamhou, Pember, and Uros. 3 of those were completely worthless. 1 has been good. 1 looks to have some upside but is still unproven. The other 2 still have time, but they have yet to show much. That’s 4 pretty rough frontcourt classes. Obviously in bball this can be fixed much quicker through transfers and impact freshman.

You think Pember was recruited to the 4 or 5?

Ahh...so good to log in and see bickering about where we may not be as strong in a line-up that includes multiple future NBA players. Sit back and relax, gentlemen. If our basketball history (and last decade of football) has proven anything it is to enjoy things while they last!

You’ve already stated there were multiple reasons last year was a fail (even though that story hadn’t ended), yet here you are trying to definitively make it sound like there’s just 1. You can just as easily point to not having another Pg option ready when turner went down as costing this team some wins? Or someone to replace Bowden when he struggled.

so maybe this makes you feel better then

It’s a fact Barnes weakness has been recruiting bigs. It’s one of the reasons why last year was a fail

VN Store

Back