LOOKING BACK

ArdentVol

Have enjoyed the threads of nostalgia, so let's try this: Who were the best high school basketball players you either played against or watched. Only requirement is that the players later played college ball.
Against: Kent Hollenbeck (UK)'
Watched: Ron Widby, Jimmie England, Bill Justus (all UT) Rupert Breedlove (Oglethorpe).

Years later: Leon Douglas (UA) and Dominique Wilkins (Dawgs)

I was courtside score keeper when Pistol Pete Maravich (Raleigh Broughton HS) played at our high school (Fike) in Wilson, NC. Before the game he mainly practiced dribbling the ball between his legs and twirling the ball on his finger; pretty much by himself....didn't seem to be much of a team player

Have enjoyed the threads of nostalgia, so let's try this: Who were the best high school basketball players you either played against or watched. Only requirement is that the players later played college ball.
Watched: Ron Widby, Jimmie England, Bill Justus (all UT) Rupert Breedlove (Oglethorpe).

The best high school basketball player i ever watched was Brian Oliver who played for Wills High School in Smyrna,Georgia and later for Georgia Tech.

Against: P.J. Tucker (Texas), Chris Wilcox (Maryland) Enloe HS, Raleigh, NC. Fun fact: Wilcox kicked me in the face when I pump faked him on a 3. Wilcox was a monster 6’9’’. He was a freak.

Shavlik Randolph (Duke) Broughton HS, Raleigh, NC. He was the Best High School Player I’ve ever played against. He tuned us up for 37 in the Quarterfinals of State.

Reggie Love (Duke) Providence Day HS, Charlotte, NC. He was pretty good. I did okay against. He wasn’t as athletic as you’d think. Helluva a beer pong player though, although Me and my buddy handled Love and Chris Duhon in beer pong. #Winning Not bad for Obama’s right hand man.

Chris Hobbs (Clemson) East Chapel Hil HS . He was a monster just like Wilcox. State Champ. Played against him once and with him at some camps. He was already having knee problems as a junior. Really nice guy that passed away way too early from heart problems.

Brendan Haywood (UNC) Dudley HS, Greensboro, NC. He was huge and kind of did what he did at UNC, dunked and got rebounds. We beat his ass in State my freshman year when I got moved up to Varsity during the postseason. I got garbage minutes, so I mostly watched Haywood.

Serge Zwikker (UNC) Played pickup against him. Still can’t believe he had the career he did after playing pickup against him.

I used to play pickup ball at the TRECS against Cedric Houston, Gerald Riggs Jr. and other NFL guys when they would come back and workout during the Summer. Those games hurt. A lot. They were like playing against the 80’s Pistons, but they didn’t mean to. They just beat the $hit out of you because that’s what they were used to.

I was courtside score keeper when Pistol Pete Maravich (Raleigh Broughton HS) played at our high school (Fike) in Wilson, NC. Before the game he mainly practiced dribbling the ball between his legs and twirling the ball on his finger; pretty much by himself....didn't seem to be much of a team player
wasn.t press coach of that team

good,
knew there were some postmen in volnation
I played 1-4 at 6’2’’ 175 lbs. Probably closer to 165 by the time the season ended. I hated playing the 4 when I was forced into it. I had No business at the 4, but I was long and could jump. You better believe I either hacked those big guys to death or I got out of the way when those big dudes drop stepped or caught a lob. I was not getting dunked on.

I played 1-4 at 6’2’’ 175 lbs. Probably closer to 165 by the time the season ended. I hated playing the 4 when I was forced into it. I had No business at the 4, but I was long and could jump. You better believe I either hacked those big guys to death or I got out of the way when those big dudes drop stepped or caught a lob. I was not getting dunked on.

6-2 170 according to roster but couldnt jump or stay out of foul trouble with slow feet and useless w/ left hand no one on rostrer 6-3 or .better on squad. all the heighth between ninth, 10th grades. I ve been shrinking (age, back) barely 6-0 and we won't mention the added pounds.

Way too many HS football players from Texas to choose from but I'll go with four that I saw play (three are homer picks) :

1. Eric Dickerson-Sealy HS

2t. Louis Fite-Waco High (Parade All-American) Baylor, Navarro JC, Texas A&I, CFL

2t. Derrick Johnson-Waco High (Parade All-American). Texas, KC Cheifs

4. LaDainian Tomlinson-Waco University HS, TCWho, San Diego Chargers

I played HS basketball against Dee Brown, who later went on to play for the Boston Celtics and win the Slam Dunk contest during All-Star weekend back in 1991.

I also ran track against Leroy Butler, who played for the Green Bay Packers. I got a great view of the back of his T&F uniform.
I never ran against Michael johnson but I went to the state meet in Austin and saw him run against Roy "Robot" Martin. I think Martin still holds the world record in the 400m for 18 and under.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Against Emmitt Smith in high school.
Attempted an open field tackle. Felt like I tackled a telephone pole and he dragged me down the field 20 yards before my teammates wrestled him down. Dude was only a freshman then. Damn

Way too many HS football players from Texas to choose from but I'll go with four that I saw play (three are homer picks) :

1. Eric Dickerson-Sealy HS

2t. Louis Fite-Waco High (Parade All-American) Baylor, Navarro JC, Texas A&I, CFL

2t. Derrick Johnson-Waco High (Parade All-American). Texas, KC Cheifs

4. LaDainian Tomlinson-Waco University HS, TCWho, San Diego Chargers

fite has good company

Reactions: BUBear

VN Store

Back