The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

Just thinking about next season for a minute as of course a lot can happen in 9 months we'll have a lot of returnees and top 15 class coming in.

PG- Horston Junior, Walker Junior, Miles Freshman
2G-Rennie Sophomore, Salary Freshman, Darby Freshman, Wynn Freshman
C-Key Sophomore, Saunders Sophomore, Striplin Freshman
PF-Green Senior, Suarez Freshman
WF-Burrell Junior, Puckett Freshman

According the the NCAA covid rules we'll have six freshmen and only one senior. This means we only have two scholarships to give in 2022 and one is already filled. The point being we'll need some attrition to sign more than two players and even if that happens we'd have 15 on scholarship and only two seniors the next season. So do we really expect to see all these players here after next season looks highly doubtful to me. The transfer portal is going to get interesting not only for Tennessee but for almost everybody as the scholarships fill up because of the covid rule.

I like looking at recruiting and supposition. That being said : I take exception to some things ! You mentioned 6 freshmen for year 21 ..... We have three this year and four coming in 21 which should equal 7 freshmen! That is if all of this years freshmen want to stay for five years ?

Green is a graduate transfer and working on a masters degree! Your assumption is she will automatically want to play in 21 ? This would fit in 21 but has absolutely nothing to do with 22 ? If Green wants to play , then our roster would contain 14 players for 21 .... 🤔

Walker will have another year of eligibility normally and scheduled to play in 21 . But not normally scheduled to play on 22.....Agree with her in 21 and she could play in 22 if , if , ?
Your assumption is she will want a masters ?🤷‍♂️

If there was no COVID .... We had 4 recruits in 2019 and 3 this year (20), and four coming in 2021 .... that equals 11 and Justine (verbal) means 12 players for 2022 class with THREE SPOTS AVAILABLE. A lot of unknowns between now and then ! It certainly will be interesting to see what Kelly has for us in a couple of years ! Hopefully not another one like this one !!!! JMO

Just thinking about next season for a minute as of course a lot can happen in 9 months we'll have a lot of returnees and top 15 class coming in.

PG- Horston Junior, Walker Junior, Miles Freshman
2G-Rennie Sophomore, Salary Freshman, Darby Freshman, Wynn Freshman
C-Key Sophomore, Saunders Sophomore, Striplin Freshman
PF-Green Senior, Suarez Freshman
WF-Burrell Junior, Puckett Freshman

According the the NCAA covid rules we'll have six freshmen and only one senior. This means we only have two scholarships to give in 2022 and one is already filled. The point being we'll need some attrition to sign more than two players and even if that happens we'd have 15 on scholarship and only two seniors the next season. So do we really expect to see all these players here after next season looks highly doubtful to me. The transfer portal is going to get interesting not only for Tennessee but for almost everybody as the scholarships fill up because of the covid rule.

Pretty sure I’m missing your point, I find your post very confusing.

I believe they are not capping roster size, at the moment you are allowed to exceed the maximum due the COVID mess. Scholarships will depend on whether each individual school can afford them.

I would still classify the players by their academic class rather than their eligibility. Highly doubt many P5 players take advantage of the extra year of eligibility. Have to move on at some point and if they’re done with schooling it makes absolutely no financial sense to continue playing. Certainly don’t think Burrell or Walker will play past next season. Green might be our only player to take advantage of the extra eligibility due to her injury. I think even she may move on as well though. Especially if for some reason next season isn’t going to be totally normal again. With Puckett, Striplin, Suarez, Key and Saunders the center/power forward position are going to be flush.

Recruiting should normalize and we will likely have a class of 3 for 2022, unless someone transfers. We’ve got Justine and looks like we need a really good post player in that class.

McCoy won’t be back. Honestly think she should medically retire this season. She has never stayed healthy for an extended time. She’s like a really nice employee who doesn’t show up to work. Even though they’re nice to have around, it’s hard on the team when they are inconsistently available. I feel for her but there is a pattern there at this point.

Reactions: jeebie

I believe they are not capping roster size, at the moment you are allowed to exceed the maximum due the COVID mess. Scholarships will depend on whether each individual school can afford them.

I would still classify the players by their academic class rather than their eligibility. Highly doubt many P5 players take advantage of the extra year of eligibility. Have to move on at some point and if they’re done with schooling it makes absolutely no financial sense to continue playing. Certainly don’t think Burrell or Walker will play past next season. Green might be our only player to take advantage of the extra eligibility due to her injury. I think even she may move on as well though. Especially if for some reason next season isn’t going to be totally normal again. With Puckett, Striplin, Suarez, Key and Saunders the center/power forward position are going to be flush.

Recruiting should normalize and we will likely have a class of 3 for 2022, unless someone transfers. We’ve got Justine and looks like we need a really good post player in that class.

McCoy won’t be back. Honestly think she should medically retire this season. She has never stayed healthy for an extended time. She’s like a really nice employee who doesn’t show up to work. Even though they’re nice to have around, it’s hard on the team when they are inconsistently available. I feel for her but there is a pattern there at this point.

I agree on needing a plus post player. We also need a difference maker point if we assume one or two of the 21 players can be wing scorers.

Reactions: VolBall09

U feel for her, yet u made a comment that sounded as if she's the one holding herself back. Every sports has a player like that. I would not say anything negative about an injured player.

U feel for her, yet u made a comment that sounded as if she's the one holding herself back. Every sports has a player like that. I would not say anything negative about an injured player.

She has a pattern of injury. Never said it’s her fault. Out of the last 5 seasons she’s only played one full, healthy, season. She missed her senior year of HS with injury as well. The one season she played was at the JUCO level where the physicality is light years different from SEC basketball. My guess is her body just isn’t designed for this kind of contact.

At some point you have to have an honest conversation and determine if it’s worth it. Have seen many players retire due to injury with fewer issues than Jaiden has had. It can be both a good thing for her and the team. My post wasn’t meant to be hateful. Though I firmly believe you can have tough conversations about players here. Fans are going to comment. That’s part of sports and part of what you sign up for when you take the floor. I lived that as an athlete who had ups and downs as well. The world isn’t all sunshine and roses. What you do with those comments determines your self worth, not the comment itself.

Having Jaiden return for another year would appear to be a poor plan. She has a tough time staying healthy, and we need players that are available and capable of competing at the highest level. I’m sympathetic to injuries like anyone who isn’t a total sociopath. You have to draw a line at some point though.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I like looking at recruiting and supposition. That being said : I take exception to some things ! You mentioned 6 freshmen for year 21 ..... We have three this year and four coming in 21 which should equal 7 freshmen! That is if all of this years freshmen want to stay for five years ?

Green is a graduate transfer and working on a masters degree! Your assumption is she will automatically want to play in 21 ? This would fit in 21 but has absolutely nothing to do with 22 ? If Green wants to play , then our roster would contain 14 players for 21 .... 🤔

Walker will have another year of eligibility normally and scheduled to play in 21 . But not normally scheduled to play on 22.....Agree with her in 21 and she could play in 22 if , if , ?
Your assumption is she will want a masters ?🤷‍♂️

If there was no COVID .... We had 4 recruits in 2019 and 3 this year (20), and four coming in 2021 .... that equals 11 and Justine (verbal) means 12 players for 2022 class with THREE SPOTS AVAILABLE. A lot of unknowns between now and then ! It certainly will be interesting to see what Kelly has for us in a couple of years ! Hopefully not another one like this one !!!! JMO
Walker has two years after this season of eligibility. So yes she could play in 2022 if she desires and the coaches want her back. Like you said we don't know what will happen there. Burrell probably won't be back but could in 2022 if she so desired. same for Horston think either will go for 2022. Overall were probably only signing three in 2022 and we'll have room for them. Yes there will be seven freshman next season miscounted.

The point was how the roster could get crowded because of the covid extra eligibility as we'll have seven players classified as freshmen next season. Then you have Saunders, Rennie, and Key sophomores. You also have the effect that both Horston and Burrell will be eligible for 2022 if they so desired. I doubt they will want to come back but it is a factor. Pissott is committed so that leaves two slots to get to fifteen. I didn't include Walker who would still be eligible in 2022 as well. Of course it will all work out I'm sure. I realize we can go over the fifteen but no team is going to carry that many players. I expect were looking at two more recruits for 2022. The problem will be going forward 2023, 2024 with so many players classified as freshmen and sophomores expect some of them won't be here for their entire eligibility.

The point was how the roster could get crowded because of the covid extra eligibility as we'll have seven players classified as freshmen next season. Then you have Saunders, Rennie, and Key sophomores. You also have the effect that both Horston and Burrell will be eligible for 2022 if they so desired. I doubt they will want to come back but it is a factor. Pissott is committed so that leaves two slots to get to fifteen. I didn't include Walker who would still be eligible in 2022 as well. Of course it will all work out I'm sure. I realize we can go over the fifteen but no team is going to carry that many players. I expect were looking at two more recruits for 2022. The problem will be going forward 2023, 2024 with so many players classified as freshmen and sophomores expect some of them won't be here for their entire eligibility.
I think the confusion is the reference to the returning freshmen as freshmen again. That is not how the NCAA looks at it.

For example, a freshman this season will still be a sophomore next year but with an extra year of eligibility. It doesn't come into play until they finish their senior season where they can then enroll as a 5th year senior grad student.

To me that is a big difference. No one knows how a player will feel once they play their standard 4 seasons. They might be done with school. They might be good enough for the WNBA or overseas basketball. It's not a decision made right away.

So, I don't think it makes sense to call the returning players "freshmen" again. The impact won't be felt until their senior season. The only players it impacts next year are the seniors who decide to stay an extra season. After that, the impact will lessen for each subsequent season i.e.

Coaches have to plan for next year however the 2021 classes are pretty much set. That is why the NCAA is allowing exemptions to the roster size in 2021-22.

Should be interesting to see how many players take advantage of the extra season.

She has a pattern of injury. Never said it’s her fault. Out of the last 5 seasons she’s only played one full, healthy, season. She missed her senior year of HS with injury as well. The one season she played was at the JUCO level where the physicality is light years different from SEC basketball. My guess is her body just isn’t designed for this kind of contact.

At some point you have to have an honest conversation and determine if it’s worth it. Have seen many players retire due to injury with fewer issues than Jaiden has had. It can be both a good thing for her and the team. My post wasn’t meant to be hateful. Though I firmly believe you can have tough conversations about players here. Fans are going to comment. That’s part of sports and part of what you sign up for when you take the floor. I lived that as an athlete who had ups and downs as well. The world isn’t all sunshine and roses. What you do with those comments determines your self worth, not the comment itself.

Having Jaiden return for another year would appear to be a poor plan. She has a tough time staying healthy, and we need players that are available and capable of competing at the highest level. I’m sympathetic to injuries like anyone who isn’t a total sociopath. You have to draw a line at some point though.
she said this is her last szn

The geniuses at the NCAA have a replacement for the much hated RPI. According to their new, improved, more nutritious NET Rankings, we are #9 in the SEC!!

DI Women's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Women's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com
#9 in the SEC, but #28 overall...which is about par for what they are in the other polls.

What will be interesting is how many teams will the SEC get into the tournament, provided that teams like Alabama and Georgia don't have a meltdown with bad losses. Tennessee's 3 games against them will be critical...if they don't win all of them, they could struggle to make the tournament unless they pick up some upsets somewhere else and don't lose to Ole Miss and the Cellar Dwellars.

The geniuses at the NCAA have a replacement for the much hated RPI. According to their new, improved, more nutritious NET Rankings, we are #9 in the SEC!!

DI Women's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Women's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com
Yes but being number 28 still would mean a tournament berth if you could finish there. We have a lot of games to move way up from there. A win over Arkansas would move us up we just haven't played enough good teams yet whereas the other SEC teams ahead of us have. We missed games with Texas. Kentucky, and A&M all games if we won any of or a couple would move us way up the net rankings.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
The big problem is we have two with Vandy, Missouri, Auburn, Florida, Ole Miss, and LSU and we can't lose any of those games. That is seven wins and two with Georgia need at least a split plus pick up a couple more against the top teams in the league. Arkansas would be a huge start. That would be plenty to get in the tourney. Right now he is listing 8 SEC teams in and is leaving out Ole Miss in the ones that are ahead of us in the net rankings. Ole Miss plays us in Knoxville and that could turn out to be for a tournament berth.

The big problem is we have two with Vandy, Missouri, Auburn, Florida, Ole Miss, and LSU and we can't lose any of those games. That is seven wins and two with Georgia need at least a split plus pick up a couple more against the top teams in the league. Arkansas would be a huge start. That would be plenty to get in the tourney. Right now he is listing 8 SEC teams in and is leaving out Ole Miss in the ones that are ahead of us in the net rankings. Ole Miss plays us in Knoxville and that could turn out to be for a tournament berth.

An alternative point of view is that our LV's go out there and kick tail and take this conference. I've seen all the relevant teams and they all appear to be beatable (including us). I say, beat em all and let things sort themselves out naturally. I'm betting Kellie gets them mentally prepared and playing well the last half of the season.

we dont even average the most TO's game...pl made it sound like we the only teams that had a TO problem

2021 Team Statistics
This is the biggest difference to me. We actually have a positive margin and a 10 point swing in our favor on points off TOs compared to last season. Early in the season but it’s definitely better.
1609817644759.jpeg

VN Store

Back