Reality of our Players

Pruitt told Penix to move along......so he could go start for Indiana and help them to 6-1 and become the 11th ranked team in the country.

In order to give bags O cash to Maurer.......so he would come to Tennessee and ride the pine while Tennessee flounders to their worse record in our lifetime.

Reactions: OG.V83 and CA_Vol
If we had great talent you would see guys getting drafted in the early rounds and going to the NFL. Firing Pruitt at this time isn't the issue. Poor QB play along with mediocre play at a lot of other positions sank our team for this season. Trey Smith is the only guy on this team that is a senior that will be a definite for the NFL.

If we had great talent you would see guys getting drafted in the early rounds and going to the NFL. Firing Pruitt at this time isn't the issue. Poor QB play along with mediocre play at a lot of other positions sank our team for this season. Trey Smith is the only guy on this team that is a senior that will be a definite for the NFL.

Bingo!!! Ding ding ding! Finally we hv a winner!
Our team sucks! Our best oline man has a sever blood clotting disorder! And Coronavirus often affects your blood so he prob didn’t practice too much! And last year didn’t barely practice at all...

Our team Is a wreck,, the only top talent we hv are really young... in 2 years we are going to hv a really good team if we keep recruiting like this imo...

I think we have comparable talent to other schools having success, we are young, there could be better coaching in areas but the thing he needs no one wants to give him is time, time to change a culture, time to bring in good young players, time to coach them how to play the way he wants, everyone seems to be an expert on how much time this takes but I assure you none of us really know.

We have tons of talent and the recruiting ranks prove that. However, if you have coaches that can't develop 5* players above high school levels then you continue to get beat down by teams that can develop players. that is what we're seeing now and Pruitt has to go

We don’t hv a lot of talent.. we hv some young talent but that’s it.... we hv a blue collar lunch pail type of team... if they don’t work hard and put out extreme effort then they’re basically horrible loL...

We don’t hv a lot of talent.. we hv some young talent but that’s it.... we hv a blue collar lunch pail type of team... if they don’t work hard and put out extreme effort then they’re basically horrible loL...
Dude, give our talent to Dan Mullen and see what they could do. You seriously think we don't have better talent than UK? We're getting blown out of games like we're a high school team.

Reactions: vol94
I was all in on Pruitt, as with the others, but have seen a pattern. Dooley, Jones, Pruitt, all have one thing in common. Their players come in at a certain skill set, and they either get worse or stay the same. It is hard to point out improvement on players. That, to me, is coaching.

And I keep hearing people say Jim Chaney is a great offensive mind. I fail to see it at all. I hate to admit it, but we have the most boring offense in the league. JG was bad, but I believe Chaney could have made Peyton Manning look bad if Peyton did not check out of the plays Jim has called.

I watch other teams run smooth plays which are successful week after week against good teams, but our play calling is so stagnant, they cannot be consistently successful. We are as predictable as any team I have seen. Defensive Coordinators have to be overjoyed to play against our offense. Our offense not only keeps us from scoring on a regular basis, but it destroys our already questionable defense by keeping it on the field for most of the game.

I did expect Pruitt to play havoc with QBs, but have been so very disappointed. We NEVER, (except against Vandy), put pressure on QBs. Any QB that can play in the SEC will embarrass any defense when they have as much time as we give them. Some would say we risk giving up big plays if we blitz. I say, how could we be any more embarrassed?

Hate to be negative, but as a lifelong (long, long time) fan, I am more frustrated than ever. Tennessee deserves coaches who are all in, and are well qualified. We cannot not expect athletes to get better on their own, and we cannot expect them to be greater than the coaches who are supposed to be teaching and leading them.

Our recruiting rankings would not affirm this. Our Oline ranking should have produced one of the best lines in UT history.

We have multiple four star QBs. The biggest talent deficiency is at TE and LB. I think we have good young talent at LB, but it didn’t get on the field much. We had 4 star Dlinemen all over the place.

This staff got nothing out of its talent. They had a bad your in S&C and even worse on teaching position basics.

THIS! I find my self shaking my head when I read a poster bemoan our lack of talent. Our OL did not lack talent, we had tons of it, mostly 5 stars with 4 stars sprinkled in yet we did not produce. In fairness the same was said about UK's and their's was not all that either. But we have SEC type talent pretty much at every position. You go down to the 2s and that may get sketchy. Our problem is NOT talent, we have it. Our problem is for whatever reason this coaching staff is not getting the performances out of them gtheir talent should be producing. That falls into the lap of the coaching staff, from the HC down. Now if the staff thinks the fault is elsewhere, they have to go, it's that simple.

All I needed to see to convince me was the 2nd half of the Arkansas game. That alone was cause to fire Pruitt

We may lack elite talent but should not lose to KY nor Arkansas, regardless of any circumstance.

Also, Pruitt’s players should be playing by now. There are frosh and sophomores that played this yr as they are his recruits. There are other programs playing freshmen and soph QBs.

Reactions: tntar heel
THIS! I find my self shaking my head when I read a poster bemoan our lack of talent. Our OL did not lack talent, we had tons of it, mostly 5 stars with 4 stars sprinkled in yet we did not produce. In fairness the same was said about UK's and their's was not all that either. But we have SEC type talent pretty much at every position. You go down to the 2s and that may get sketchy. Our problem is NOT talent, we have it. Our problem is for whatever reason this coaching staff is not getting the performances out of them gtheir talent should be producing. That falls into the lap of the coaching staff, from the HC down. Now if the staff thinks the fault is elsewhere, they have to go, it's that simple.
The Vols lack difference makers.... no impact pass rusher... no play making receivers.... Gray is good, but not a game changer .... QB has been downright horrid

PEROOT DONT HAVE DER PLADERS

Okay, so lets look at that. Pruitt wasn't the only coach hired at a major program in 2018. Conveniently, we have multiple to choose from. So, lets dig in. All numbers are from the 247Composites chart which lists the composite ranking (Rivals, Scout and 247) for each team according to overall average player quality.

When Pruitt was hired in 2018, Tennessee had the #15 talented team in the country. In 2019 Tennessee was 16, then in 2020 Tennessee is right back to 15.

When Dan Mullen took over in 2018, Florida was #12. In 2019, Florida was #15 and now they're #7.

When Jimbo Fisher took over Texas A&M in 2018, they were #16 in the country, right behind our beloved Volunteers. In 2019 they were #12, now they're #11 overall and *SHOULD* have been in the fight for a playoff spot instead of national darling ND who is going to get disemboweled.

Point is: Good coaches can take over a good team and make it better. Good coaches can also succeed when they don't have much talent, such as Matt Campbell and Tom Allen who have a combined 9 blue chip players between them.

We may lack elite talent but should not lose to KY nor Arkansas, regardless of any circumstance.

Also, Pruitt’s players should be playing by now. There are frosh and sophomores that played this yr as they are his recruits. There are other programs playing freshmen and soph QBs.
This 👆🏼.....all day long

Reactions: vol94
PEROOT DONT HAVE DER PLADERS

Okay, so lets look at that. Pruitt wasn't the only coach hired at a major program in 2018. Conveniently, we have multiple to choose from. So, lets dig in. All numbers are from the 247Composites chart which lists the composite ranking (Rivals, Scout and 247) for each team according to overall average player quality.

When Pruitt was hired in 2018, Tennessee had the #15 talented team in the country. In 2019 Tennessee was 16, then in 2020 Tennessee is right back to 15.

When Dan Mullen took over in 2018, Florida was #12. In 2019, Florida was #15 and now they're #7.

When Jimbo Fisher took over Texas A&M in 2018, they were #16 in the country, right behind our beloved Volunteers. In 2019 they were #12, now they're #11 overall and *SHOULD* have been in the fight for a playoff spot instead of national darling ND who is going to get disemboweled.

Point is: Good coaches can take over a good team and make it better. Good coaches can also succeed when they don't have much talent, such as Matt Campbell and Tom Allen who have a combined 9 blue chip players between them.
The Vols are a sloppy hot mess..... nothing about the program looks like a disciplined team

The reason we are getting beaten down is Bc we don’t hv a lot of talent. The only way to overcome that is to recruit better and coach to the max.

Last year we had better coaching, more overall
Effort, and were able to barely squeak out those wins over bad teams.

This year our coaches weren’t as good (I.e. Rocker gone), QB play was abysmal (JG), and our defense got considerable worse after losing a few key seniors (bituli, Warrior, etc.).

So yea we need some better position coaches in some areas for sure... no doubt....

But how many NFL drafted players hv we had in the past 2-3 years? How many seniors will get drafted?

I think most of these sr players should come back if trying to improve to get a shot at the NFL bc they’re not ready.

Most of our best players either cannot make an NFL roster or can just barely make a practice squad. And Butch didn’t hv nearly the talent In 2015 or 2016 that I keep hearing about. Yea he had several studs but had overall terrible lines on both sides of the ball, and nothing for depth... so basically just a house of cards....

Pruitt is building the right culture and building depth.. but he needs assistants that can both coach and recruit, not just one or the other, Bc we are still severely lacking in talent.....

Pruitt needs 2-3 more top 10 classes to get us back to winning... anyone can coach top talent... anybody....

The hard part is recruiting the talent when you’ve been losing for a long time...I think the assistants and coordinators are actually much more important than the head coach....

If the offense is bad fire 🔥 the O coaches... if defense is bad fire 🔥 the D coaches! But if we get enough good players recruited then we are going to start winning again.... and I think that’s what the “mom’s basement insiders” are missing here completely lol....

Pruitt is the worst football coach at Tennessee since before Bill Battle. You don't keep a bad coach for 1 or 2 more years hoping something changes. Pruitt is the problem!

It’s taken a while, but Coach Cornbread finally realizes he doesn’t have Bama’s roster. He isn’t coaching a defense with 10 future 1st Rounders on it. He can’t play games with guys or banish them to the doghouse become the next guy isn’t nearly as good. He can’t blow off Tennessee high schools, because in state recruiting is one we should be better at than our rivals.

Equal parts arrogance and ignorance.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
Bc we hv so much talent right? Butch destroyed the roster.... he was 0-8 in the SEC his last year... There’s a reason why few good coaches wanted this job.... the roster was complete garbage!
BS. Is the roster good enough for a competent coach to compete with Arkansas? Kentucky? How about Georgia State?

These losses aren’t talent issues. It also isn’t just a fluke loss at the last minute. Those less talented yet better coached teams beat us soundly.

Bc we hv so much talent right? Butch destroyed the roster.... he was 0-8 in the SEC his last year... There’s a reason why few good coaches wanted this job.... the roster was complete garbage!
Which is why this year would be a good time to pull the trigger if you had a coach ready
waiting in the wings. This is not a bad roster at all. A schmuck could win 8 games next year. A Gump? Not so much.

The reason we are getting beaten down is Bc we don’t hv a lot of talent. The only way to overcome that is to recruit better and coach to the max.

This year our coaches weren’t as good (I.e. Rocker gone), QB play was abysmal (JG), and our defense got considerable worse after losing a few key seniors (bituli, Warrior, etc.).

So yea we need some better position coaches in some areas for sure... no doubt....

But how many NFL drafted players hv we had in the past 2-3 years? How many seniors will get drafted?

I think most of these sr players should come back if trying to improve to get a shot at the NFL bc they’re not ready.

Most of our best players either cannot make an NFL roster or can just barely make a practice squad. And Butch didn’t hv nearly the talent In 2015 or 2016 that I keep hearing about. Yea he had several studs but had overall terrible lines on both sides of the ball, and nothing for depth... so basically just a house of cards....

Pruitt is building the right culture and building depth.. but he needs assistants that can both coach and recruit, not just one or the other, Bc we are still severely lacking in talent.....

Pruitt needs 2-3 more top 10 classes to get us back to winning... anyone can coach top talent... anybody....

The hard part is recruiting the talent when you’ve been losing for a long time...I think the assistants and coordinators are actually much more important than the head coach....

If the offense is bad fire 🔥 the O coaches... if defense is bad fire 🔥 the D coaches! But if we get enough good players recruited then we are going to start winning again.... and I think that’s what the “mom’s basement insiders” are missing here completely lol....
The biggest issue this year (and there were a few) is Pruitt being stubborn and sticking with JG....if Bailey and Shrout play from the first game, the season would likely look a lot different

So Arkansas, Kentucky, Georgia State, and BYU had more talent than us???

Dude, just because everyone is complaining about the same thing doesn't make them wrong.

You trying to be all contrarian, and say we are losing because of lack talent at best makes you sound uninformed. AT BEST.

I watched NW hang with OSU for an entire half based on heart and good coaching decisions. Sure they eventually were beaten by superior talent, but it was a heck of a game. When was the last time we played a heck of a game? Or even an intelligent game?
We may not have the talent to beat Bama, but we sure should be able to beat KY at home

Reactions: OG.V83
Pruitt will likely be a good head coach. He's got to learn imp lesson if not micromanaging. Also, he cant do it all.

We have good coaches on this staff but, if they routinely get cut off at the knees...it wont last long.

Tennessee isnt the place to learn on the job.

Here we go again...Pruitt is now the coach that inherited the "worst mess in UT history"; which was said about Kiffin, then Dooley, then Jones.

You guys are worse than when Tony Schiavonce would claim every week on Nitro was the most important night in wrestling history.

VN Store

Back