Advice on buying a car

Mega bump. This will be my first time buying a vehicle so looking for advice.

My wife got rear ended tonight. No jokes, please. I already asked if she wanted to be a second time. Her trunk is caved in considerably, so we are assuming it’s totaled.

She is wanting a Hyundai Palisade. I’ve scanned a few apps and see that some dealerships still have 2020s on their lots. Will I get a good deal on one because they are looking to move it or is buying a used 19-20 a better bet? I’m not totally opposed to buying a new 21, but the price would have to be pretty good.

What should the first offer under sticker be and what can I expect to settle on? What are some tacked on fees that I can absolutely get away with refusing? Should I finance through one of my banks/credit union or through the dealership if they offer one of the no interest for a few years deals? What interest rate should I expect with a credit score between 750-800? Is a military discount worth asking for and is that something that I don’t pull out until they’ve put their best number forward? Any and all advice is welcome.

@YankeeVol, @txbo, and @tn4elvis, anything you care to share from your side of things?
Hyundai Palisade... interesting vehicle. 5000 lb towing capacity and 22 mpg. That actually isn't a bad deal. Give you wife props on her choice.

Hyundai Palisade... interesting vehicle. 5000 lb towing capacity and 22 mpg. That actually isn't a bad deal. Give you wife props on her choice.
We have a baby and two dogs, so the palisade checks a lot of boxes. I would prefer the RAV4, but don’t think it’s big enough.

If you or your wife are Costco members, check what dealers in your area will offer for the Costco discount for the model/year you are interested in. You do that through the Costco website. I'd use that as a starting point. Then email other dealers and see whether they are willing to beat that. Good luck.

It’s really going to come down to how in demand the vehicle is. I think the Palisade is still pretty hot. I have a Kia store and just about every Telluride I get is sold at sticker before it even hits the lot.

It’s really going to come down to how in demand the vehicle is. I think the Palisade is still pretty hot. I have a Kia store and just about every Telluride I get is sold at sticker before it even hits the lot.
I have a 2016 Sorento turbo. Excellent car, and the mid size that people seem to want.

If you or your wife are Costco members, check what dealers in your area will offer for the Costco discount for the model/year you are interested in. You do that through the Costco website. I'd use that as a starting point. Then email other dealers and see whether they are willing to beat that. Good luck.
Costco partnerships mean very little. They afford no monies that aren’t avails to anyone else.

That’s unfortunate.

Will the fact that it’s a new 20 get me any leverage?

My wife just bought a 2020 Santa Fe. It's a good size and has a ton of bells and whistles on it. It had some great cash back incentives. She financed through Hyundai and it ended up being $4000 cheaper that way. The Palisade is a BIG vehicle and very nice. I don't know about incentives on those. This her second Hyundai. She got her dream car in between which was a Subaru Outback. It had a dead battery syndrome. The battery would just be dead, you boost it off and it would be fine for a few weeks. The final straw was when she was in the rain and the car went insane and accelerated wide open, going every which way like it was on ice before she could stop it. She came home, parked it and drove my car until she could go trade it.

We just bought a sonata hybrid for my son through enterprise car sales and had a really good experience.

Fiancé just bought a 2020 Kia Soul S to replace her 2017 Soul + that got totaled last week. It’s not a bad car but it’s down on content and the seats are bolstered a little aggressively for her tastes.

I believe I'm leaning towards a Honda civic now. Anyone else have recommendations on cars that will get roughly 30mpg city?
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Ford Focus after 2016. Bad transmission in early years but an economical car.

They have a $2217 dealer rebate plus $1,000 military and first responder/med professional. Only dealer to offer me a rebate and 0% financing. We’ll see what we can settle on.

Reactions: txbo
Like txbo said, its on the Monroney label (window sticker) from the factory. Chevy calls it a destination charge and its $995

1125 for Hyundai.

Online told me 47500 was a good deal, but none of the dealerships were lower than 49k. I’ll keep looking I guess.

$1,500 isn’t really that much off IMO.

If I’m correct, the rebates are Hyundai’s money, not the dealership. So that should leave them more room to work on the car. We have to return the rental Monday, so I may call them with 48 out the door and I’d take 485

If I’m correct, the rebates are Hyundai’s money, not the dealership. So that should leave them more room to work on the car. We have to return the rental Monday, so I may call them with 48 out the door and I’d take 485
That’s true. With high I n demand vehicles though, they tend to be d***s

VN Store

Back