How far have we fallen...

HoopCreekVol

There was a time that the Bama, Florida, Georgia knew that a game with us was going to be a battle and it could go either way. Now they sneer at us and no longer consider us a rival. Living in GA, it gets irritating getting beat every year. I was shouting at the top of my lungs when Dobbs threw the Hail Mary -- the Dobb-nail boot scenario.

Nowadays, GA State, KY and Ark beat on us. We're not even held in high regard in the state of TN.

Did I mention that even Vandy has beaten us soundly in some games over the course of a few years? Pathetic.

A losing team has to straighten up after the 2nd straight loss or else apathy sets in and losing becomes the norm. The fight is taken out of the team.

This is where we are now. No power in our punches. You have to go to the top (HC) to see where the problem lies and where it can be fixed. A culture of losing is a part of the TN tradition now. When was the last time we saw a 10-win season? Ranking in the top 10?

It’s what you get when you have a university that simply doesn’t care about its football program. It’s not just the head coach and the athletic director. It’s everyone above their head as well. Nobody really cares and it shows.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I honestly believe TN wouldn’t care if the football program dissolved completely.

It’s what you get when you have a university that simply doesn’t care about its football program. It’s not just the head coach and the athletic director. It’s everyone above their head as well. Nobody really cares and it shows.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I honestly believe TN wouldn’t care if the football program dissolved completely.
Oh they would care when that cash quit flowing in.

Far enough that TN is competing with Vandy for last place……… A Vandy team that hasn’t fieldEd a complete team all season…… around 60 dressed on average……… looked more competitive in many matchups than TN…… and not many are confident TN can win.

There was not too much daylight between UT, UF, and TAMU three years ago. They got Mullen and Jimbo; we got cornbread. They are on the bubble of the playoffs, and we are praying to beat Vandy. Further indictment - Mizzou is now 5-3 with an unproven coach and a garbage roster, and everyone here knows we could not beat them again now. I don't know what's worse, the UK beat down at home, or the loss to Arky with a line coach as a first year HC and a 2-star roster.

Vols are nothing more than a joke in sports media outside the state - at best, we are not mentioned; when we are, it is to point out the dumpster fire. This can be fixed easily...hire a proven SEC HC. At this point, it's a short list - Hugh Freeze. The reality is that we are not going to beat UF, UGA, and Bama with a coach that they would NEVER interview. If our competition isn't scared of a coach, we should be.

Oh they would care when that cash quit flowing in.

The administration's perspective might be even if the team is losing badly they'll still get 85-90% of the revenue they'd get if they were regularly competing for championships. They're probably content to leave it in this state because it's easier for them and they know most fans will keep coming to the games and watching on TV. Most on the forum expect more than a bad team to support.

There was a time that the Bama, Florida, Georgia knew that a game with us was going to be a battle and it could go either way. Now they sneer at us and no longer consider us a rival. Living in GA, it gets irritating getting beat every year. I was shouting at the top of my lungs when Dobbs threw the Hail Mary -- the Dobb-nail boot scenario.

Nowadays, GA State, KY and Ark beat on us. We're not even held in high regard in the state of TN.

Did I mention that even Vandy has beaten us soundly in some games over the course of a few years? Pathetic.

A losing team has to straighten up after the 2nd straight loss or else apathy sets in and losing becomes the norm. The fight is taken out of the team.

This is where we are now. No power in our punches. You have to go to the top (HC) to see where the problem lies and where it can be fixed. A culture of losing is a part of the TN tradition now. When was the last time we saw a 10-win season? Ranking in the top 10?
When UGA fans talk to you just remind them that them and Vandy are tied for Nattys since 1980.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Tennessee can flip this thing pretty quick with the right hire like a Freeze hire or even a Matt Campbell one. Pruitt was a terrible hire from the start. There is more talent on the roster now than Pruitt’s first season but he is wasting it and some may transfer out and this top 5 recruiting class is imploding. I’m not sure Pruitt was even a great DC he coached at teams loaded with talent far more than we had when was hired. You can argue he needs another season with all the Covid issues and economically we aren’t in the position to fire him but I would disagree he’s done a awful enough job to get fired this season and he could very well lose to Vandy this Saturday.

Even if combined, those sports don’t generate anywhere near the revenue of football.

If the university cared they would have fixed this problem years ago. Whatever profits have been made would be peanuts compared to what they would be if we had an elite program. So this whole notion that they care about money may be false.

If the university cared they would have fixed this problem years ago. Whatever profits have been made would be peanuts compared to what they would be if we had an elite program. So this whole notion that they care about money may be false.

No disagreement here. But instead of nonfeasance, they could just as easily be guilty of malfeasance. I’m not so sure that college administrators are as bright as one would expect for those positions.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I think we were actually ranked in the top ten during one of Butch's seasons.

If only Butch was a good gameday coach.

We are a featherweight in the heavyweight conference.

Reactions: Trojan_Vol

Thanks for the update. It’s nice to have new information.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
How far....So far we are wondering if we can beat a badly depleted Vandy that just fired their coach 2 weeks ago.

I was a Vol fan when Bowden Wyatt was the coach and attended my first game in a much smaller Neyland Stadium in 1958....Had season ticket during lean years before Majors and after until 1996.....My give a damn is lower than at any point in all those years. In all those years I/we felt there was light at the end of the tunnel....There is no light in that tunnel for me anymore....It's total darkness.

Reactions: wpcadetdad
I don't know is there any chance that the fanbase could bring a lawsuit for neglect. Just something that would take the power from the Tennessee A.D department because it doesn't matter who is up there it's the same. Better yet get them to explain these hire and what was the reason for them and who was behind them.

2001 was the last time we were ranked in the final top ten.

VN Store

Back