The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

I agree that we have to go to her more. We actually did run at least two plays specifically Designed for her in that ETSU game but our guards did not execute the pass well. Tamari sealed well both times but needed a nice lob pass over the top to score. The ball was too low and got tipped on the entry. Tamari could still work on getting early post position. If you can get to your spot and seal in the secondary break you can get much better positioning. She’s waiting to post up until we’re running the offense and she gets pushed off her spot.

Biggest thing for me is how invaluable Tamari is on defense. She is a true paint protector and we haven’t had that for a long time. She does a great job of dissuading opposing guards from driving into the paint. In the first two games there were several times teams tried to penetrate when she was in the game and had to kick it back out or pull back. Three years ago we had nothing to stop the dribble drive, our posts were not imposing. For Russell’s height and athleticism she never deterred the dribble drive like Tamari does. Key comes to help side and the ballhandler can already taste leather 😂.

I think her reduced minutes is simply a product of getting the reserves minutes in the first two games. I presume she and KK will both play around 25 minutes this season. Either one may play more depending on who is executing better.

I think with the 4-out offense,,teaching posts inside scoring moves has become a lost art.

Emily's biggest drawback is the very same thing,,,timing,,,I have said numerous times that she posts-up way to late,,,a post has to begin setting up the post-up once the ball has made one bounce past mid-court,,,if they wait any oonger, the defense starts to plant in the paint and the post has much more difficulty getting two feet in the paint

the rule of thumb for posts:
1 foot in the paint and you are renting it
2 feet in the paint and you are owning it

Why was this the right non-move and are you saying Harper turned her down?

two reasons (and no I have no knowledge of her being turned down)),,,this is just my own personal take...

1: when it comes to sisters, there are only two scenarios...they love playing together and they hate playing together...there is no middle ground! That said, there was little or no public effort or outcry from Big T to recruit little T..This tells me a lot from my own personal experience,

2: I didn't see a ton of aggressive pursuance from the staff in social media or in the press re recruiting little t , so that as well tells me something.

This year was my first year in social media. And I have learned much re it...More than anything I have learned the subtleties of likes, following and interchange on medias like twitter and instagram....I have followed the athletes and coaches so I have had very good insight as to their "public" thoughts and alliances...it has been a very educational year from the social media aspect for me.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
can the under classman get extra year? and play 5 years . or is it only for seniors? do know if any ladies want to play 5?

two reasons (and no I have no knowledge of her being turned down)),,,this is just my own personal take...

1: when it comes to sisters, there are only two scenarios...they love playing together and they hate playing together...there is no middle ground! That said, there was little or no public effort or outcry from Big T to recruit little T..This tells me a lot from my own personal experience,

2: I didn't see a ton of aggressive pursuance from the staff in social media or in the press re recruiting little t , so that as well tells me something.

This year was my first year in social media. And I have learned much re it...More than anything I have learned the subtleties of likes, following and interchange on medias like twitter and instagram....I have followed the athletes and coaches so I have had very good insight as to their "public" thoughts and alliances...it has been a very educational year from the social media aspect for me.

I think people underestimate the power, for some people, of wanting to play for the home-state team -- that perhaps was a dream from childhood. North Carolina is a fantastic university, and if I had been born in North Carolina and was a basketball player, I am 100% positive that I would have grown up wearing UNC colors and dreamed of being a Tarheel one day. I have no way of knowing, but just the look of sheer joy on Teonni's face in her first public images of her wearing the UNC uniform told me that THIS looks like the face of someone who has just fulfilled a childhood dream to play for her state's top basketball university. If Teonni had chosen ANY other university besides UNC or Tennessee I'd have been a little disappointed. But for everyone to question whether Tennessee/Tamari did something wrong or were inadequate in their recruitment of her because she chose UNC? Nah.

Well, I was going to post that I had to go take a dump, but...

(a) thought it would be a bit crass, and

(b) would be untrue since that already occurred earlier.

Highlight of the day!!! :cool:

so IF Kellie wins................??
View attachment 327697

You think I'm rooting for Kellie to fail? I gave her a lot of props after their win against Notre Dame last season. At the time, it looked like an impressive road win over a ranked team that has had Tennessee's number for years. Obviously, that victory didn't age well, and Kellie has had no wins I would consider particularly notable since then.

I would love to give Kellie credit, but show us something. How about winning some of these toss up games? Or maybe even beat a team that, on paper, is better? A road win over WVU would be a good win. A road win over Texas would be even more impressive...

giphy.gif

I agree that we have to go to her more. We actually did run at least two plays specifically Designed for her in that ETSU game but our guards did not execute the pass well. Tamari sealed well both times but needed a nice lob pass over the top to score. The ball was too low and got tipped on the entry. Tamari could still work on getting early post position. If you can get to your spot and seal in the secondary break you can get much better positioning. She’s waiting to post up until we’re running the offense and she gets pushed off her spot.

Biggest thing for me is how invaluable Tamari is on defense. She is a true paint protector and we haven’t had that for a long time. She does a great job of dissuading opposing guards from driving into the paint. In the first two games there were several times teams tried to penetrate when she was in the game and had to kick it back out or pull back. Three years ago we had nothing to stop the dribble drive, our posts were not imposing. For Russell’s height and athleticism she never deterred the dribble drive like Tamari does. Key comes to help side and the ballhandler can already taste leather 😂.

I think her reduced minutes is simply a product of getting the reserves minutes in the first two games. I presume she and KK will both play around 25 minutes this season. Either one may play more depending on who is executing better.

KK at 25 minutes would be a big surprise. Seems more like 8 minutes in relief of the other two to me. Having two fives on the floor at a time is a terrible idea.

KK at 25 minutes would be a big surprise. Seems more like 8 minutes in relief of the other two to me. Having two fives on the floor at a time is a terrible idea.

Probably somewhere in the middle of that. I do think we’ll see both of them out there now and then. Running a little two post offense against small teams like Arkansas could do a lot of damage.

If you really wanted to put your best players possible on the floor at all times you would probably have a rotation of Key and Kk at the five Green and Suarez at the four Davis with Suarez or Burrell playing there some when she needed a rest. Burrell with Salary, Renee, or Darby filling in at the two Horston and Walker in a rotation at the one. The top five getting close to thirty or more would be Key, Davis, Burrell, Horston, and Suarez. I think they are our best five with Green, Walker, and KK first three off the bench. Salary, Renee, And Darby I think are reliable enough to play some every game and maybe even work into larger roles as the season goes along. McCoy and Saunders would have to show a lot more when in the games where they can get play to have any chance for minutes against the better opponents.

Coach Harper says she thinks she will go with the same starting lineup against W Va as the first two games. If so I doubt it last long as the Martinez cannot be controlled by Green will be a huge mismatch for them which I think they will try to take advantage of early. I think Key can really slow her down with her height and length. Martinez is not an accurate shooter but she knows how to bully a smaller player for layups and I don't think either Green or Suarez have the ability to control her inside. They have one guard that we need to really guard closely and if anyone gets the shots the other two are better options to give any open opportunities we may be forced to give up. Watched them play North Alabama a smaller team and I got the impression that we have more talent than they do of course that doesn't mean we'll win.

If you really wanted to put your best players possible on the floor at all times you would probably have a rotation of Key and Kk at the five Green and Suarez at the four Davis with Suarez or Burrell playing there some when she needed a rest. Burrell with Salary, Renee, or Darby filling in at the two Horston and Walker in a rotation at the one. The top five getting close to thirty or more would be Key, Davis, Burrell, Horston, and Suarez. I think they are our best five with Green, Walker, and KK first three off the bench. Salary, Renee, And Darby I think are reliable enough to play some every game and maybe even work into larger roles as the season goes along. McCoy and Saunders would have to show a lot more when in the games where they can get play to have any chance for minutes against the better opponents.

Coach Harper says she thinks she will go with the same starting lineup against W Va as the first two games. If so I doubt it last long as the Martinez cannot be controlled by Green will be a huge mismatch for them which I think they will try to take advantage of early. I think Key can really slow her down with her height and length. Martinez is not an accurate shooter but she knows how to bully a smaller player for layups and I don't think either Green or Suarez have the ability to control her inside. They have one guard that we need to really guard closely and if anyone gets the shots the other two are better options to give any open opportunities we may be forced to give up. Watched them play North Alabama a smaller team and I got the impression that we have more talent than they do of course that doesn't mean we'll win.

where does she say this?

Currently checking out the SouthDSU vs UNI game SDSU is the #21team in the nation. There’s no way they have a better team than us.
....but of course they’ve beaten 2 ranked teams..

Good team. They played tough against Kentucky. I noticed Tess Darby’s high school team mate is on the team.

Really good team. On one hand, I applaud Kellie for scheduling a tough opponent...but she's going to have to find a way to win either the Texas game or this one. Tennessee's OOC results will not be pretty if they get swept by the only non-horrible teams on their slate.

VN Store

Back