Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
First class for the most part was a throw away because of the little time Pruitt had to work with. 2 and 3rd he built on. This 2021 class is the one he had to nail IMO to make us start being competitive in the long run. We really need to hold onto the majority of this class since it’s looking like we’re not going to end up with a few of the bigger fish we needed.
if you really think about it, there are a lot of reasons to not make a change this year. not saying they're all good reasons or should trump any other reason to make a change.

but if you start making a pro/con list.....

it's not as easy as it seems....this season presents some fairly unique challenges/situations to sift thru. i don't envy fulmer, and i bet he's pissed for even being put near a situation that would require firing the football coach THIS year.

First class for the most part was a throw away because of the little time Pruitt had to work with. 2 and 3rd he built on. This 2021 class is the one he had to nail IMO to make us start being competitive in the long run. We really need to hold onto the majority of this class since it’s looking like we’re not going to end up with a few of the bigger fish we needed.
Pruitt chose to split time coaching Bama in the playoffs so he could collect his fat six-figure bonus from the Gumps while also getting paid by us. Supposedly, that was going to inure to our benefit in recruiting because of the exposure. I give him no passes on that class when he could have given us 100% and didn't.

It's more than an OPINION, but I digress.

I hope we get a coaching search because we need it. But I also hope we get one due to the fact this place is going to be bananas once we don't hire Freeze.
Better yet, I'm waiting on Fulmer to release the following statement; "CJP has stated JG gives us the best opportunity to win and I believe likewise with Pruitt. Regardless of the product on the field or what the scoreboard says, progress is being made. These kids have 5 star hearts...….oops, wrong coach."

Pruitt chose to split time coaching Bama in the playoffs so he could collect his fat six-figure bonus from the Gumps while also getting paid by us. Supposedly, that was going to inure to our benefit in recruiting because of the exposure. I give him no passes on that class when he could have given us 100% and didn't.
While that is true, he was still in a bad spot due to how long it took our administration to get their sh!t together when he was hired. I really don’t think him splitting time made any difference at all.

I do think there's going to be a coaching search, just given the way this season is going to end, so my focus is there rather than on the prospect of keeping Pruitt and how we fix those issues.

I wonder if Fulmer would be more inclined to think he can hire a semi-big, established P5 head coach instead of going the G5 route.

If I remember correctly from 2017, he seemed to be going in this direction until Schiano-Sunday scared every potential head coach off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fulmer (both with Currie and without) talked to Doeren, Gundy, Brohm, Patterson and Fuente. Maybe I'm leaving a name or two off, but there's a clear type there. He targeted sitting head coaches of big programs.

Maybe that might tell us something about who he would call this time around. Names like: Chris Klieman, Bronco Mendenhall, PJ Fleck, maybe Jeff Brohm again, Tom Allen, Matt Campbell, Neal Brown, Geoff Collins, Satterfield, etc.

Kleimann - Midwest guy. No ties to the south. Would never be hired here by a guy like Fulmer.

Mendenhall - also zero ties to south. Hard to see Mendenhall wanting the noise of the SEC. Good coach that I would hire if we were coming off of 2-10 followed by 1-11. Not the coach I would hire if I wanted to win a championship.

PJ Fleck - won’t get hired bc of similarities to Butch. But honestly, his style of building buy-in to a program is something we need. I’m curious to see how the next few years go for him. And I know I’m in the minority here but I don’t hate the idea.

Jeff Brohm - already used us for a raise.

Tom Allen - got his masters from IU. He’s also from Indiana. He also makes $3.9M already. How much you willing to pay? Bc it has to be enough for him to leave the state of Indiana and a program where he’s built the culture.

Matt Campbell - pipe dream. He’s been linked to every opening the past 3 years, including NFL positions.

Neal Brown - eh. Also makes $3M/yr. How much do you wanna pay Neal Brown?

Geoff Collins - why? Hasn’t proven anything yet. Plus he’s at a place with less pressure where he has a chance to build his program. Also already makes $3M/yr.

Satterfield - also needs to prove himself somewhere other than App St. And he makes $3.25M. I think it’d be dumb to pay some of these guys who haven’t proven anything $4.5 - $5M+/yr.

Out of these guys listed I’d take Campbell and Tom Allen in a heartbeat. Neither will happen.

Reactions: DarthVol1
Because UT is a lightning rod for negativity right now. Losses just expand the negativity, and embarrassing losses are demoralizing for everybody. Pruitt's only going to get more defensive and piss people off more. Everybody's sick of it. We'll have opt-outs.
So why not send him on his way back to bama?

Kleimann - Midwest guy. No ties to the south. Would never be hired here by a guy like Fulmer.

Mendenhall - also zero ties to south. Hard to see Mendenhall wanting the noise of the SEC. Good coach that I would hire if we were coming off of 2-10 followed by 1-11. Not the coach I would hire if I wanted to win a championship.

PJ Fleck - won’t get hired bc of similarities to Butch. But honestly, his style of building buy-in to a program is something we need. I’m curious to see how the next few years go for him. And I know I’m in the minority here but I don’t hate the idea.

Tom Allen - got his masters from IU. He’s also from Indiana. He also makes $3.9M already. How much you willing to pay? Bc it has to be enough for him to leave the state of Indiana and a program where he’s built the culture.

Matt Campbell - pipe dream. He’s been linked to every opening the past 3 years, including NFL positions.

Geoff Collins - why? Hasn’t proven anything yet. Plus he’s at a place with less pressure where he has a chance to build his program. Also already makes $3M/yr.

Satterfield - also needs to prove himself somewhere other than App St. And he makes $3.25M. I think it’d be dumb to pay some of these guys who haven’t proven anything $4.5 - $5M+/yr.

Out of these guys listed I’d take Campbell and Tom Allen in a heartbeat. Neither will happen.
see that list, to me, looks like a mid major bball list. except none of these guys get to a tournament and see how they do agianst the big boys or make an elite 8/final four run. or a conf tourney run.

i guess i'm just kinda done with the guessing game. i wrote a post about this a few years ago...about how/why there are no more sure things in football anymore. head coaches simply do not get groomed liked they used to. it used to be "easier", forgive the simplicity of the term, to spot an urban meyer who worked his way up from bowling green, to utah, and won big...real big...then got the "big" job.

those don't exist anymore b/c guys move so fast, you don't really have a good handle on the resumes anymore....

and urban meyer was a midwest guy that coached in freaking utah and won national titles at FL, so i don't necessarily buy the "has to have ties to the south"....guys that can recruit and coach...recruit and coach no matter where they are. Nick Saban, same thing....before he got that LSU job, he wasn't "NICK SABAN"....and he went from midwest guy 100% to the deepest of the deep south and won big.

Reactions: Rizzo924

It will be Freeze.

It will be Freeze.
Bass taking on err'body regarding hugh freeze...and i'm here for it. lol.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back