Hyams gave the reason on the Sports Source this morning why SC could fire Muschamp but UT won't fire Pruitt.

There are some incentives, including an additional performance bonus of up to $100,000 annually, as determined by Plowman. For Fulmer to be eligible for this bonus, Tennessee’s athletic department must operate at a surplus for the fiscal year, ending on June 30, following the contract year on which the bonus is based. With this new performance bonus, Fulmer is now eligible for up to $400,000 annually in performance bonuses.

Fulmer is not about to cost himself a 100 K bonus by running the program in the red and firing Pruitt. Plus, I don't think Fulmer's ego would admit to making a mistake in hiring the buffoon.

Reactions: VolInNW and vol94
Hyams said he talked to a prominent booster this week, and was told by that booster that Pruitt absolutely would not be fired this year.

Booster said, point blank, that finances was the reason.

According to Hyams, South Carolina has 30-40 million in their athletic reserve. Tennessee has 10-11 million.
Lost me at “Hyams said”.

In my opinion, if we do not have the money to terminate, we do not have the money to extend, raise, and pay "retention" bonuses, the current athletic department leadership cries poor mouth while using the athletic coffers as their own personal piggy bank, where they would be unemployed anywhere but here, I'm done on the giving and season ticket side of football, I can hit the secondary market for what I want, but no reason to be spending money to watch buy games with this bunch of buffoons in charge
Amazing the excuses used when hiring a competent, established coach is the issue but boy, there is plenty of money for the vultures feeding off the carcass of what was University of Tennessee football. In a way it is disgusting how poor performance is rewarded, at all levels.

I don’t care what a booster says. We aren’t beating Florida or TAM, in fact, we are going to get killed. IF we also lose to Vandy, not a chance Pruitt keeps his job. They will FIND the money to make a new coach happen. Can’t afford not to.

In my opinion, if we do not have the money to terminate, we do not have the money to extend, raise, and pay "retention" bonuses, the current athletic department leadership cries poor mouth while using the athletic coffers as their own personal piggy bank, where they would be unemployed anywhere but here, I'm done on the giving and season ticket side of football, I can hit the secondary market for what I want, but no reason to be spending money to watch buy games with this bunch of buffoons in charge

I agree. No use giving a donation for tickets plus travel and lodging costs. Just go to certain games and pay a bit more online.
the donations are ridiculous though I did it for years.

I don’t care what a booster says. We aren’t beating Florida or TAM, in fact, we are going to get killed. IF we also lose to Vandy, not a chance Pruitt keeps his job. They will FIND the money to make a new coach happen. Can’t afford not to.

Nope. Pruitt will be here until the end of 2021 regardless.

I don't think HB starts a game under Pruitt, JG has an open public invitation to return next year from Pruitt. He'll be back and Pruitt will start him
JP’s days are numbered. What that number is? Who knows? I think HB sticks around and plays for the Vols. Whether or not JP is HC, we shall see.

Hyams said he talked to a prominent booster this week, and was told by that booster that Pruitt absolutely would not be fired this year.

According to Hyams, South Carolina has 30-40 million in their athletic reserve. Tennessee has 10-11 million.
We can all thank Phil-o-Potamus and the BRILLIANT extension before the season even started.

UT is going to be in real shock when come next fall Neyland still looks like peak pandemic. Go ahead and extend Jeremy again Phil and give yourself some more time to run it even further into the ground.
Empty Neyland is better off empty than with the knuckle heads that post garbage on this site! They would fire Bellicheck or Saban if they lost a game. Irrational is not accurate enough to describe what these people are like. Have been since the early 70’s!

And it’s the first big buyout USC will pay in their history most likely. They didn’t have one with Holtz or Spurrier.

Tennessee on the other hand has paid buyouts for 3 of their last 4 football coaches.

People using USC paying out Muschamp as a legit reason for us to fire Pruitt are delusional. The circumstances are no where near comparable.
You're right. Hiring and firing bargain-bin coaches is the way to go. TN and it's boosters will save themselves so much money keeping Pruitt through the end of his contract and then hiring Bob from The Acadamey for the deaf and the blind.

Empty Neyland is better off empty than with the knuckle heads that post garbage on this site! They would fire Bellicheck or Saban if they lost a game. Irrational is not accurate enough to describe what these people are like. Have been since the early 70’s!
Lol you're right our expectations are too high... Go team go, rah rah rah

I’m going to apply irony here, and Nite this post for utter ridiculousness:

3AB48E72-3471-4BB6-A92F-303A5AFCFC11.png

You're right. Hiring and firing bargain-bin coaches is the way to go. TN and it's boosters will save themselves so much money keeping Pruitt through the end of his contract and then hiring Bob from The Acadamey for the deaf and the blind.

Not what I said but thanks

Name me a coach that Tennessee has not wanted to fire since Bill Battle? Fire Majors, and all the rest. Even fired Fulmer, a coach some would call our best! I’ll wait Night Rider! And that includes basketball.
We'd want to keep them if the won ****ing football games like they were being paid for. How ****ing stubborn are you to be blaming fans instead of the actual people in charge of this mess?

We'd want to keep them if the won ****ing football games like they were being paid for. How ****ing stubborn are you to be blaming fans instead of the actual people in charge of this mess?
As you have seen 4-5 times previously, no decent coach is going to come here and work for idiots that want to FIRE 🔥 every coach since Bill Battle. And, DID fire the coach that won a National Title. No coach in his right mind will touch this place. Money doesn’t matter, these posts do. FACT!

And here goes Hyams with YET ANOTHER unnamed source close to the program! And someone slurps him up immediately and posts it for discussion.

When will we EVER learn?

Same booster that told him Jeff Brohm was coming to UT?

We were also in the red when we fired Dooley, so what

Fun fact: If that booster hadn't leaked the Brohm to UT story to Hyams, he'd be UT's coach today. Brohm's agent agreed to a contract, but it had to stay confidential until he returned from a recruiting visit. The booster, who was going to cut a check for Brohm's buyout, leaked it to Jimmy, who reported it while Brohm was in a high school coach's office to visit with a junior QB. Saw the report, denied it was true to the kid, instructed his agent to back out.

If the only reason left to keep Pruitt is money, it’s not a good enough reason.

There is no defense left to keep Pruitt that doesn’t involve the money excuse. Nobody is making the argument that we should keep Pruitt because the team has progressed and we are moving in a positive direction. We are regressing and everyone knows it. Kinda feels like this coaching staff took it easy because of Corona and didn’t think they needed to worry about the product they put on the field that much. Almost every team has looked more prepared than us this year.

The coaches we could get now, are going to be worth a whole lot more by this time next year. Freeze is going to get gobbled up by some team for big money unless we take him sooner rather than later. It seems inevitable that Pruitt will be gone by next year unless a miracle happens. And are we going to trust this AD to make a good hire at that point when other teams are looking and competition for coaches is much higher?

The time to buy is now when nobody else is lookin because of Covid. I wish this administration had some balls for a change.

VN Store

Back