SEC Coaches Pick

That's not the point. The point is that players tweeting about people having doubts pretty much never means anything and never translates on the court.
And tea kettles are still the fastest way to boil water. Things change

Diamond, Mercedes, Cierra, Bashaara, Draya, MeMe, Jamie...the list goes on.

Who can forget in Diamond's first year how every player on the team was tweeting "trust the process" every other day as we had our worst season to date -- at that time, of course.

It's become as commonplace as every single team talking about how the chemistry is amazing and so much better than the year prior.

Trust the process and using the disrespect as fuel are two different things and i still don’t remember players doing what you said. Doesn’t mean they didn’t but Jamie and mercedes barely talk? Wasn’t Diamond injured and she often talked about the process of rehab? what you’re talking about i just don’t remember especially recently. Everyone just sorta took what came their way and the first person to speak up was Evina.

Diamond, Mercedes, Cierra, Bashaara, Draya, MeMe, Jamie...the list goes on.

Who can forget in Diamond's first year how every player on the team was tweeting "trust the process" every other day as we had our worst season to date -- at that time, of course.

It's become as commonplace as every single team talking about how the chemistry is amazing and so much better than the year prior.

Also if we need to go back to her college days candace parker got jipped for SEC player of the year and made it a point to go out and get a Natty that year. she was vocal and again followed through.

Meet Candace Parker who used the doubt and not making the olympic team to get a championship...

You did say never and she said that was her mission and completed it she played out her mind...

Could be wrong, but I don’t think volman is referring to the Lady Vol alumns more broadly. He’s referring to certain players who played for UT during the Warlick era.

I think I see what you’re saying though. When Candace felt disrespected by not receiving an award that she felt she deserved, it motivated her. It wasn’t motivation alone, though. Her motivated translated to her actually proving *on the court* that she’s the best.

What players in recent Lady Vol history can you think of who, when they didn’t receive an award they felt they deserved, or were counted out by poll voters or experts, proved the doubters wrong?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Could be wrong, but I don’t think volman is referring to the Lady Vol alumns more broadly. He’s referring to certain players who played for UT during the Warlick era.

I think I see what you’re saying though. When Candace felt disrespected by not receiving an award that she felt she deserved, it motivated her. It wasn’t motivation alone, though. Her motivation translated to her actually proving *on the court* that she’s the best.

What players in recent Lady Vol history can you think of who, when they didn’t receive an award they felt they deserved, or were counted out by poll voters or experts, proved the doubters wrong?

I think I see what you’re saying though. When Candace felt disrespected by not receiving an award that she felt she deserved, it motivated her. It wasn’t motivation alone, though. Her motivated translated to her actually proving *on the court* that she’s the best.

the poster said when people talk like that it never changes anything then went on to “list” the LV that had done that...

i could be mistaken and you could be right but when you downplay someone and then use “never” as an example i’d just thought i’d show them never didn’t last as long as they thought lol

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
My original comment was: "I mean ... the players have been saying stuff like this for like 5-6 years now."

*brings up Candace Parker*

I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes right now, and I honestly debated whether or not to even respond to this foolishness. I really, really hope you're trying to be cute because otherwise I honestly feel so bad for you right now if you're being serious. Clearly I was speaking about the players *that were actually playing for UT* ("the players" = the teams) in the original time period I referenced. My comment was referencing players tweeting about it and not much else (i.e. all talk and no walk, which is what our program has been filled with for years). I have no clue why anyone is talking about Candace Parker in this discussion, but I guess it goes with the overall tendency of people to live in the past given how long it's been since we've been relevant. Even so, Candace never just tweeted about it. She proved it on the court, unlike almost every player we've had in this program the last few years.

If you want to take something I said hyperliterally, as well as separate it from the previous comment I made (and thereby remove the context of the statement you're referencing), whatever. I mean, I can only say the words ... I can't make you understand them. It should've been blatantly obvious what I meant, and I'm sure you know that, you just decided to bend over backwards for a GOTCHA moment. Hope you didn't pull something with that reaching you just did. But maybe it's my fault for assuming people have basic reading comprehension skills and the ability to identify context clues.

Also, bringing up one of the GOATs of not only this program but of WBB in general to prove a point when I was referencing the worst time period in the history of our program, filled with nonchalant effort and execution from our players, subpar coaching and recruiting, player and staff attrition and a head coach firing? That might be quite possibly the biggest non sequitur I've ever seen on this board ... and I've seen a lot of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Not so much lack of respect as acknowledgement that Tennessee hasn't given voters much of a reason to expect more in several years. The five teams ahead of them on the preseason rankings all beat Tennessee last year and all of them bring back their cores and some got even better, so...

Instead of whinging about "lack of respect" (which is really more of a sense of entitlement), I hope they prove it on the court and give the voters a performance they can actually vote for.

Pardon me guys, but I don't give a damn what these experts predict....
As of today, we are tied for first place.
Lady-Vol-Basketball_9ABE1001-5056-A36F-237048D6DA61D7BB_9b21da17-5056-a36f-2380a6de534e18c3.jpg

Pardon me guys, but I don't give a damn what these experts predict....
Then I'm thinking this might not be the thread for you. Mind if we discuss?
he optimist sees the donut, the pessimist sees the hole
The realist sees it all, blinders off.

Of course its standard issue pre-season rah rah talk. Every recruit is a gem in the rough. This is our year. We're hungry, so much better than last year. And waaayy better than the year before that. Feeling "disrespected", much to prove. Chemistry galore. Did I miss anything? If any of it actually happens, all the better.

I think the prediction is spot on and in fact, may be a little generous to the LVs. Creme really likes LSU, Voepel really hates Vandy. Miss St. is going to be interesting this year. I'd really like to see the LVs notch a couple of wins against higher ranked teams.

And, I really hope we get a full season in.

Last edited:
I'm going

South Carolina
Miss St
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Tennessee
Arkansas
Georgia
LSU
Alabama
Ole Miss
Florida
Missouri
Vandy
Auburn

I have us at 10 and 6 with tiebreaker over Arkansas, even with Kentucky. Have us losing at Miss St and Texas A&M. I have us 7 and 1 at home and 3 and 5 on the road. This could go up or down depending on what kind of play I see from some of our players in the early games.

I'm going

South Carolina
Miss St
Texas A&M
Kentucky
Tennessee
Arkansas
Georgia
LSU
Alabama
Ole Miss
Florida
Missouri
Vandy
Auburn

I have us at 10 and 6 with tiebreaker over Arkansas, even with Kentucky. Have us losing at Miss St and Texas A&M. I have us 7 and 1 at home and 3 and 5 on the road. This could go up or down depending on what kind of play I see from some of our players in the early games.
I think Mizzou is actually going to be decent this year. Blackwell will be a year better and they have seasoned transfers coming in, notably Shug Dickerson that should make an immediate impact.

I think Mizzou is actually going to be decent this year. Blackwell will be a year better and they have seasoned transfers coming in, notably Shug Dickerson that should make an immediate impact.

I forgot the other freshman's name, but she was quite good as well. The transfer Williams from SC gives them much-needed size, which should help their rebounding and interior defense even if she isn't a big time scorer.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I forgot the other freshman's name, but she was quite good as well. The transfer Williams from SC gives them much-needed size, which should help their rebounding and interior defense even if she isn't a big time scorer.

Hayley Frank was the other freshman that was pretty good... She was the other SC transfer but she transferred during summer school to Mizzu. SC is good really good but she could have played a role busting up any zones which was why she got recruited there.

Right...Hayley Frank is the one I was thinking of. Her and Blackwell were a great 1-2 punch at the forward spot.

I think you're talking about Hayley Troup, the SC transfer. Great shooter. I don't think she had much of a future at SC, but she's done well for herself at Mizzou.

Right...Hayley Frank is the one I was thinking of. Her and Blackwell were a great 1-2 punch at the forward spot.

I think you're talking about Hayley Troup, the SC transfer. Great shooter. I don't think she had much of a future at SC, but she's done well for herself at Mizzou.

I am it was Hayley Troup lol i knew it was a hayley

VN Store

Back