The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

In reference to my previous post. The way Kellie substitutes is definitely not the way I see it in my head. So I’m certain we’ll see way more of everyone than I projected.

I do think she’ll tighten the rotation a hair this season. Felt like she was just seeing what she had to work with last year. She’s essentially said last year was a write off. Got everyone plenty of minutes so she could see them in live games and start to implement her system team wide.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The main thing you can say about this years team is that we have a lot of unknowns that will either make us a great team or bad team or somewhere in between. We have a lot more consistent shooters on the bench and we have a lot more experience overall. Until we see them play a few games no way to know exactly what this team is capable or not capable of.

Thanks coach for great video.....

I'm so jazzed for her and the rest of her signing class coming to Tennessee, I could burst into a few choruses of Rocky Top.......It's going to be a long wait/ but a good wait.

Then, add in Justine the following year, and I see nothing but grand times ahead for our program....Kick a little UConn and Cocks ass along the way.

The main thing you can say about this years team is that we have a lot of unknowns that will either make us a great team or bad team or somewhere in between. We have a lot more consistent shooters on the bench and we have a lot more experience overall. Until we see them play a few games no way to know exactly what this team is capable or not capable of.

You also can't discount the full season/year of experience with the head coach and her staff. I'm willing to bet that our young ladies know exactly what Kellie wants and expects from each of them and that in itself is reassuring to almost all players. Chemistry must extend to players and staff to get the best out of everyone. :)

Reactions: Volfan2012
The theme for 2020 is turnovers. Can Tennessee not turn the ball over so much? They were ranked near the bottom of Division I for turnover margin in 2019 and turned it over somewhere around 17 times a game. You won't win big games turning the ball over 15-20 times, and you certainly won't beat UConn turning it over 25 times (and considering that UConn won by 15 points, I'm willing to bet they almost made up the difference on points from turnovers). There's a number of reasons that could explain why they were turning it over so much, but whatever. The reasons don't matter now. 2020. Turnovers. Less of those. Less "who on Earth was that pass for" passes. More control of the ball. Better decisions with the ball in hand. That's the theme. That's my theme. This player, that player, new player, transfer player, sure sure, all that jazz, but all I'm going to do for the first month is go straight to the box score and look at the turnovers. If the turnovers are trending down? Then I feel good about their chances. If the turnovers are not trending down, then it's probably another 22-10-ish season or thereabouts. Don't get me wrong. I would love to see that turnover average drop to 13 or 12, and see the margin flip to the positive. They've had another (albeit compromised) offseason to get comfortable with the game plan. That should help. Let's hope it does.

The theme for 2020 is turnovers. Can Tennessee not turn the ball over so much? They were ranked near the bottom of Division I for turnover margin in 2019 and turned it over somewhere around 17 times a game. You won't win big games turning the ball over 15-20 times, and you certainly won't beat UConn turning it over 25 times (and considering that UConn won by 15 points, I'm willing to bet they almost made up the difference on points from turnovers). There's a number of reasons that could explain why they were turning it over so much, but whatever. The reasons don't matter now. 2020. Turnovers. Less of those. Less "who on Earth was that pass for" passes. More control of the ball. Better decisions with the ball in hand. That's the theme. That's my theme. This player, that player, new player, transfer player, sure sure, all that jazz, but all I'm going to do for the first month is go straight to the box score and look at the turnovers. If the turnovers are trending down? Then I feel good about their chances. If the turnovers are not trending down, then it's probably another 22-10-ish season or thereabouts. Don't get me wrong. I would love to see that turnover average drop to 13 or 12, and see the margin flip to the positive. They've had another (albeit compromised) offseason to get comfortable with the game plan. That should help. Let's hope it does.
Yeah, turnovers were mind boggling. The thing that hurts this year is that their best ball handler and passer (at least in terms of making smart passes) is gone. Horston was the primary culprit with the turnovers a year ago and she will have the ball in her hands even more than last year. If she improved significantly in that regard (and the posts learn how to catch the ball), then that should cut down the turnovers drastically.

Good points guys....If the turnovers are not considerably lessened this season, this new season will quickly turn into another turnover fest that will leave a bad taste in all of our mouth's again.....

So many of the turnovers were caused by trying to make the slick pass to the surprised teammate, when the shot was there for the taking....And don't forget the unwise passes of half court length, or more, that too often flew out of bounds, or off the intended targets hands......

Yeah, turnovers were mind boggling. The thing that hurts this year is that their best ball handler and passer (at least in terms of making smart passes) is gone. Horston was the primary culprit with the turnovers a year ago and she will have the ball in her hands even more than last year. If she improved significantly in that regard (and the posts learn how to catch the ball), then that should cut down the turnovers drastically.
We have Walker and Salary also doing time at the point expect Walker gets a lot of minutes there if Horston is still having turnover problems. Walker looks really good at the one in high school film didn't play there much at Western Mich as they wanted her off the ball to score. I think she will definitely get some time at the one.

We have Walker and Salary also doing time at the point expect Walker gets a lot of minutes there if Horston is still having turnover problems. Walker looks really good at the one in high school film didn't play there much at Western Mich as they wanted her off the ball to score. I think she will definitely get some time at the one.

I've heard that Salary "can play" PG, but it might be a bit to ask someone who's never played that position to do it at a SEC-level part time. Maybe over time she will adjust, but I can't see her being the answer. Same to an extent for Walker. She had quite a few turnovers playing off the ball, and hasn't played as a college PG yet...let alone at a P5 level.

Horston's improvement will likely be the driver for whether Tennessee can fix their turnover problem or not.

Good points guys....If the turnovers are not considerably lessened this season, this new season will quickly turn into another turnover fest that will leave a bad taste in all of our mouth's again.....

So many of the turnovers were caused by trying to make the slick pass to the surprised teammate, when the shot was there for the taking....And don't forget the unwise passes of half court length, or more, that too often flew out of bounds, or off the intended targets hands......

Many turnovers were also due to traveling violations and offensive fouls.

Tyasha Harris was as good an example of a pure PG as we've seen in the SEC in recent years. She did everything that was needed to keep the offense flowing.
One of your favorite players, Crystal Dangerfield, was a pure point guard as well.

Should have checked your closet before you went to sleep....
invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-1956-pods-600x300.jpg

VN Store

Back