Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t just need someone to “get this thing off the ground.” We need stability and someone who can also eventually bring in talent.
Mullen would have won eight games consistently and UT recruits itself when we are winning. Y’all are crazy for talking down Mullen and Lane. Both are better head coaches than Pruitt and it’s not even close.

2021 Football Transfer Portal

Okay guys... who are the targets?

Here’s who I’d consider :

QB
Put me down for thinking James Foster, transfer QB from A&M might be a target. He was heavily pursued by Alabama while CJP was there. Also is upper class men enough to where he wouldn’t be a perceived threat to Ty Simpson most likely.

Garrett Shrader, MSU: Looked decent against us last year. Dual threat kid. Semi-local from Charlotte so that would factor for him. Plus we’re building ties to that state.

DL

Siaki Ika, DT, LSU - Grown ass man. Would be a day one starter here.

LB

Kevin Harris, LB, Alabama - most likely GT bound but we were in his recruitment, we have some of his former teammates here. And we are in desperate need of linebackers so playing time is here.

I feel like we should look at a pass rusher and someone who could contribute at TE, but I don’t know who on that list would provide much of an upgrade.

Also - TE is only if we don’t pull the three tight ends in this class.

QB- M. Milton from UCF

And I bet we take a transfer for ILB and Edge rusher.

Casey was a great Vol, during an era when we had a decisive roster advantage over everyone in the conference but Florida. I loved the guy. But we need someone more talented (he didn’t get a sniff from the NFL) to offset the roster disadvantage we have now. We need someone to change the narrative so we can take our roster from middle of the conference to top 2-3 of the conference.
Yes or at least Shuler level. At this point, I'd take Bray over JG.

Reactions: C-town Vol
We don’t just need someone to “get this thing off the ground.” We need stability and someone who can also eventually bring in talent.

It’s a bit of a catch 22, but you’ve got to prove you can win some with what you got before you can hope to attract the type of talent across the board that it takes to compete with the top of the league.

Unless a guy has either already got a national championship or two under his belt or he’s already developed a ton of NFL players, it takes some winning to reel in a full roster of big fish.

Pruitt has landed a few big fish for us (Crouch, To’o To’o, Morris, and Wright), but he’s also shot for the moon and struck out a lot resulting in us settling for much lesser players late.

Our program has to really get back up off the ground first, then stability will come.

Mullen would have been a great hire for us.

Last edited:
Plus, you can say whatever about Butch, but the end of 2015 and the first 7 games of 2016 were unbelievably entertaining. Played on CBS 4 straight weeks.

That had more to do with Dobb, Kamara, and Barnett being on the roster, than anything to do with him. Credit him for signing these guys with the Vols though.

Mullen would have won eight games consistently and UT recruits itself when we are winning. Y’all are crazy for talking down Mullen and Lane. Both are better head coaches than Pruitt and it’s not even close.

I guess you didn’t read anything else I wrote. I said he probably would have won more so far than Pruitt. But Florida is perfect for him because of the available talent.

Sure, we all want 8 wins right now, but many of you wouldn’t be happy if that’s all he could do. Dan Mullen just isn’t a recruiter.

I guess you didn’t read anything else I wrote. I said he probably would have won more so far than Pruitt. But Florida is perfect for him because of the available talent.

Sure, we all want 8 wins right now, but many of you wouldn’t be happy if that’s all he could do. Dan Mullen just isn’t a recruiter.
Even if Pruitt is a slightly better recruiter, we look terrible on the field. It’s year three and we are looking at our worst season in history. Why in the world would you want that over a coach who could have already had us competing for the East? Like I said, UT recruits itself. We would have been in a way better spot with Mullen.

So there's really only one way to take AV's comment about the 21 class, right? All of you preaching patience how patient will you be when top commits begin dropping?
I just don't see how this has a good ending. Would like to be wrong..

Reactions: UTSuave’
Even if Pruitt is a slightly better recruiter, we look terrible on the field. It’s year three and we are looking at our worst season in history. Why in the world would you want that over a coach who could have already had us competing for the East? Like I said, UT recruits itself. We would have been in a way better spot with Mullen.

Why are you jumping to conclusions? My gosh. I’ve never said I wanted Pruitt over Mullen. This isn’t an either/or. I have just said that Dan Mullen wasn’t the long term answer at UT. He would have done better in the short term, but you have to have the ability to sustain recruiting success at UT. There have been red flags at UF with transfers, but he has a QB that has it rolling this year. Not sure how you got what you did based on what I said.

So there's really only one way to take AV's comment about the 21 class, right? All of you preaching patience how patient will you be when top commits begin dropping?
What was his comment

Did he say that? If our top commits leave, then the writing is on the wall. Go ahead and move on. If we are going to drop a few, pick up a couple, and save room for transfers then that is fine. I thought he said the class would look different and also mentioned a couple surprises right before that comment.

When the Vols are winning, UT recruits itself. In-state talent is not the be all-end all it’s made out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back