Midseason Reranking of SEC coaches

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
Now that we have a few more games to evaluate, here's SEC coach rankings. Not too terribly different from preseaon. Bumped Pittman up and Pruitt/Muschamp down a bit.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dan Mullen
3. Jimbo Fisher
4. Ed Orgeron
5. Kirby Smart
6. Gus Malzahn

(Note: 1 is easy. 2-6 is more personal preference).

7. Mark Stoops
8. Lane Kiffin
9. Mike Leach
10. Sam Pittman

(Note, not a lot of difference between these guys. Just personal preference)

11. Jeremy Pruitt
12. Eliah Drinkwitz
13. Derek Mason
14. Will Muschamp

(Not a lot of difference here. I think Muschamp has proven he's just not SEC HC material. Hard to evaluate Mason. Pruitt is heading quickly towards Muschamp territory. Drinkwitz, who knows.

What's everyone's rankings?

Reactions: coachjp6
Swap Drinkwitz with Leach, move Orgeron to the bottom of Group 2 or top of Group 3.

Now that we have a few more games to evaluate, here's SEC coach rankings. Not too terribly different from preseaon. Bumped Pittman up and Pruitt/Muschamp down a bit.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dan Mullen
3. Jimbo Fisher
4. Ed Orgeron
5. Kirby Smart
6. Gus Malzahn

7. Mark Stoops
8. Lane Kiffin
9. Mike Leach
10. Sam Pittman

11. Jeremy Pruitt
12. Eliah Drinkwitz
13. Derek Mason
14. Will Muschamp

(Not a lot of difference here. I think Muschamp has proven he's just not SEC HC material. Hard to evaluate Mason. Pruitt is heading quickly towards Muschamp territory. Drinkwitz, who knows.

Last time around everyone argued Pruitt was top 3. What happened🤭

I could see Kiffin moving way up the board. To make Ole Miss competitive is his first season is remarkable. I don't like Kiffin personally - but his offense is crazy good versus ours. Hugh Freeze and Kiffin with a decent quarterback appear to be able to work magic.

I would have Kiffin higher.

1. Saban
2. Mullen
3. Fisher
4. Coach O
5. Stoops (arguably 3rd, but I feel like I have to put the coaches with a NC at the top.
6. Kirby
7. Kiffin
8. Gus
9. Leach
10. Pittman
11. Muschamp
12. Pruitt
13. Drink
14. Mason

Reactions: tbh and jackaro
Based on what Pittman has shown so far this year, I’d honestly have no problem with him being in the top 5.
Agree. He was able to put together a solid staff in a short amount of time and they are executing his game plan. Imagine what they’d do if they got some more talent.

Reactions: Vols1891

1. Nick Saban

2. Dan Mullen
3. Jimbo Fisher
4. Ed Orgeron
5. Kirby Smart
6. Gus Malzahn

7. Mark Stoops
8. Lane Kiffin
9. Mike Leach
10. Sam Pittman

11. Jeremy Pruitt
12. Eliah Drinkwitz
13. Derek Mason
14. Will Muschamp

I would put Mullen behind Malzahn, Orgeron, Fisher, and Pittman.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dan Mullen
3. Jimbo Fisher
4. Ed Orgeron
5. Kirby Smart
6. Gus Malzahn

7. Mark Stoops
8. Lane Kiffin
9. Mike Leach
10. Sam Pittman

Stoops better coach than malzahn

11. Jeremy Pruitt
12. Eliah Drinkwitz
13. Derek Mason
14. Will Muschamp

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, that mumble mouth Orgeron is anywhere CLOSE to top 5. Could you imagine the reaction if our 99 team was as inept as this LSU team is. They are NOT very good. Great talent made O look like a genius. Far from it. He won't last 3 more years. Mark it down.

Reactions: MaTaLa
ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, that mumble mouth Orgeron is anywhere CLOSE to top 5. Could you imagine the reaction if our 99 team was as inept as this LSU team is. They are NOT very good. Great talent made O look like a genius. Far from it. He won't last 3 more years. Mark it down.

Say what you want, but Orgeron recruited the players and hired the coaches who put that 2019 season together.

All of that is a head coach’s job. He may eventually crash and burn, but the list of coaches who got to enjoy something like that are few.

Arguably the greatest team of all time.

That gets you some additional points in my book. Don’t be too hard on Ed O

I think I’d swap Mason and Pruitt. Pruitt is easily the worst HC in the SEC. Vandy has way less talented players and despite their record look more talented than ours do. Mason isn’t great, but I’d bet that if he swapped jobs with Pruitt that the Vols would actually show signs of coaching.

1. Nick Saban

2. Dan Mullen
3. Jimbo Fisher
4. Ed Orgeron
5. Kirby Smart
6. Gus Malzahn

7. Mark Stoops
8. Lane Kiffin
9. Mike Leach
10. Sam Pittman

11. Jeremy Pruitt
12. Eliah Drinkwitz
13. Derek Mason
14. Will Muschamp

Drinkwitz definitely in Top 10.

I'd put Pruitt at the bottom of the list too. Mason's teams actually have some fight in them.

1. Saban
2. Mullen
3. Stoops
4. Leach
5. Kiffin
6. Smart
7. Malzahn

8. Fisher
9. Orgeron
10. Pruitt
11. Pittman
12. Drinkwitz
13. Muschamp
14. Mason

Saban and Mullen are the only elite coaches IMO.

What Stoops has done at Kentucky is impressive, but I don't know that his system could ever translate to national title level, even if he were at a school with more resources.

Leach is accomplished, but his lack of flexibility means he always has a few years of growing pains to get going with his offense.

Kiffin is much better now than he was when he was in Knoxville.

Orgeron is overrated due to a national title with a boatload of talent and Joe Brady.

Fisher is also overrated due to a national title. I don't think he's the same coach at this point.

Obviously Pittman has looked better than Pruitt this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Small sample size and not clear if Pittman could maintain this level of success without Odom and Briles, who I think are both integral to his success this year.

Drinkwitz is difficult to evaluate. Outside of this year at Mizzou, his only other HC experience was a year at App State where he basically piggybacked off of Satterfield.

Muschamp sucks. We know that.

Mason isn't a good HC. He's a good DC. And while being at Vandy is a disdavantage, I think Mason would struggle even more somewhere like Tennessee / Auburn / LSU / Florida / etc.

Say what you want, but Orgeron recruited the players and hired the coaches who put that 2019 season together.

All of that is a head coach’s job. He may eventually crash and burn, but the list of coaches who got to enjoy something like that are few.

Arguably the greatest team of all time.

That gets you some additional points in my book. Don’t be too hard on Ed O

Yeah, O was tough to grade. How much do you weigh the 19 team and how much do you weigh the years at Ole Miss? The issue I ran into ranking him #4 is "Who is better?" I couldn't say Kirby is. Auburn wants to fire Malzahn. I don't think you could say Kiffin, Leach, or Stoops accomplishments put them there (yet). Pittman has 6 games of HC experience.

1. Saban
2. Mullen
3. Stoops
4. Leach
5. Kiffin
6. Smart
7. Malzahn

8. Fisher
9. Orgeron
10. Pruitt
11. Pittman
12. Drinkwitz
13. Muschamp
14. Mason

Saban and Mullen are the only elite coaches IMO.

What Stoops has done at Kentucky is impressive, but I don't know that his system could ever translate to national title level, even if he were at a school with more resources.

Leach is accomplished, but his lack of flexibility means he always has a few years of growing pains to get going with his offense.

Kiffin is much better now than he was when he was in Knoxville.

Orgeron is overrated due to a national title with a boatload of talent and Joe Brady.

Fisher is also overrated due to a national title. I don't think he's the same coach at this point.

Obviously Pittman has looked better than Pruitt this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Small sample size and not clear if Pittman could maintain this level of success without Odom and Briles, who I think are both integral to his success this year.

Drinkwitz is difficult to evaluate. Outside of this year at Mizzou, his only other HC experience was a year at App State where he basically piggybacked off of Satterfield.

Muschamp sucks. We know that.

Mason isn't a good HC. He's a good DC. And while being at Vandy is a disdavantage, I think Mason would struggle even more somewhere like Tennessee / Auburn / LSU / Florida / etc.

I've seen more signs of competent coaching from Pittman in 6 games than Pruitt in 31.....

VN Store

Back