'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

Lmao he is Clemson top target for a reason. Was Oklahoma’s until he advised he wouldn’t go that far. He is also a key to big instate class. You take all day long as number 1 option. Some of y’all are nuts.
Yeah no disrespect but considering how the kid is rated and the fact that he is a full year older than most of his competition playing against pretty weak competition (TN 3A Class isn't very strong with the exception of Alcoa and a couple others) he should look way better on film than he does, Horn has better film imo, best case scenario would honestly be if Simpson would reclassify and come in early with Salter and then take Horn next year imo

Reactions: UTSuave’
Lmao he is Clemson top target for a reason. Was Oklahoma’s until he advised he wouldn’t go that far. He is also a key to big instate class. You take all day long as number 1 option. Some of y’all are nuts.
Is Oklahoma that much further than Clemson?

Just checked and Clemson is 100 miles closer. Not much of a difference.

Reactions: lfvol
As long as you’re counting. He’s a take if the coaches aren’t as flighty as us. Horn would be a very good consolation prize if Simpson goes Clemson.
Well, I’m not. But, I agree, I’m fine with whomever the staff chooses to pursue. I just think it’s an interesting discussion. Simpson has a bit of a Jon Crompton feel to his recruitment, to me. More than a few parallels in those two respective situations.

Reactions: sonofUT62
Well, I’m not. But, I agree, I’m fine with whomever the staff chooses to pursue. I just think it’s an interesting discussion. Simpson has a bit of a Jon Crompton feel to his recruitment, to me. More than a few parallels in those two respective situations.
I remember a local sports talk host muttering disgust at Peyton leading the band after the Vandy game. Guaranteed he’d be a bust because UT and Heath Shuler. Thing about using sketchy parallels and seeing what we want.

Problem is you guys are seeing tape of a kid who plays on a bad team. The coaches have seen him in a different view, have tested him and see what he really brings. JG looked good on tape but between the ears was missing. You have to trust the coaches and the offer list here and not your unqualified eyes.

Reactions: barrylee and TheGuy
I remember a local sports talk host muttering disgust at Peyton leading the band after the Vandy game. Guaranteed he’d be a bust because UT and Heath Shuler. Thing about using sketchy parallels and seeing what we want.
Not sure what the parallel between Peyton, the band, UT, and Shuler is, specifically.

I’m just trying to look at Simpson objectively and not simply oohing and aahing over him because he might come to Tennessee like many are prone to do. In that sense, the Crompton/Simpson comparison isn’t me “seeing what I want”. What I’d like to see is a kid on tape who looks like a man amongst boys versus the competition he plays against. I’d like to see a rocket arm that hits kids in stride. I’d like to see an ability to make plays in the pocket, as well as out of it. Now, maybe the poor competition bleeds over into the poor quality of players he competes with on his own team and that aids in skewing his own play, but I’m not actively looking for this kid to be a failure just to be right.

Someone earlier mentioned the list of recent Clemson QBs and how selective they are in offering QBs. I don’t see Trevor Lawrence in his highlights. I don’t see DJ Uiagaleilei or Deshaun Watson, either. I just don’t see elite talent when I watch his highlights. Clemson does, Tennessee does, Alabama does...like I said before, I’ll defer to those getting paid to make those decisions. That doesn’t exclude me from having an independent opinion about it, though. And if he chooses Tennessee, obviously I will hope to have been wrong for questioning his talent.

Reactions: Brick_By_Brick
Problem is you guys are seeing tape of a kid who plays on a bad team. The coaches have seen him in a different view, have tested him and see what he really brings. JG looked good on tape but between the ears was missing. You have to trust the coaches and the offer list here and not your unqualified eyes.
Okay, but do you think that JG wasn’t vetted thru the same “testing and viewing by coaches in a different view”?

Offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, LSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma...all those coaches didn’t offer him based on limited film study.

Coaches aren’t infallible when it comes to this stuff. It isn’t an exact science. Sure, they are more qualified and have more intimate access to these kids than us fans, but they swing and miss, too. Some of what makes a kid successful just isn’t tangible.

So, is JG terrible, or has he just been on bad teams at Tennessee? I mean, if in-person evaluations and offer lists are the end all, be all, then I guess we are to believe he’d be a Heisman candidate if he had chosen Ohio State over Tennessee.

The talent is clearly there but I don’t like the attitude. Horn is just as good and wants to be a vol. I’ll take that all day over someone who seems to not really care about this program and is afraid of competition

How do you know Horn is just as good? Like I said look at the offer lists. Now you could say Horn is flying under the radar but the #2 ranked QB is flying under the radar? Don’t think so.

FTR I don’t think we can go wrong with Simpson or Horn. Whomever commits, we win. I hope we aren’t slow playing Horn just for Simpson. That could backfire badly.

Yeah no disrespect but considering how the kid is rated and the fact that he is a full year older than most of his competition playing against pretty weak competition (TN 3A Class isn't very strong with the exception of Alcoa and a couple others) he should look way better on film than he does, Horn has better film imo, best case scenario would honestly be if Simpson would reclassify and come in early with Salter and then take Horn next year imo

So Horn has better film and likely plays better competition? So why is his offer list weaker than Tys? You can’t use the oh he hasn’t been evaluated. Horn is the #2 ranked pro style QB. No way a guy like that hasn’t been evaluated by everybody from Alabama to Ohio State.

Not sure what the parallel between Peyton, the band, UT, and Shuler is, specifically.

I’m just trying to look at Simpson objectively and not simply oohing and aahing over him because he might come to Tennessee like many are prone to do. In that sense, the Crompton/Simpson comparison isn’t me “seeing what I want”. What I’d like to see is a kid on tape who looks like a man amongst boys versus the competition he plays against. I’d like to see a rocket arm that hits kids in stride. I’d like to see an ability to make plays in the pocket, as well as out of it. Now, maybe the poor competition bleeds over into the poor quality of players he competes with on his own team and that aids in skewing his own play, but I’m not actively looking for this kid to be a failure just to be right.

Someone earlier mentioned the list of recent Clemson QBs and how selective they are in offering QBs. I don’t see Trevor Lawrence in his highlights. I don’t see DJ Uiagaleilei or Deshaun Watson, either. I just don’t see elite talent when I watch his highlights. Clemson does, Tennessee does, Alabama does...like I said before, I’ll defer to those getting paid to make those decisions. That doesn’t exclude me from having an independent opinion about it, though. And if he chooses Tennessee, obviously I will hope to have been wrong for questioning his talent.
I’m saying people say stuff without any real oomph behind it. Peyton was a different QB than Heath but PEOPLE made that parallel because they were BOTH FROM UT...and you brought up Crompton. So I made that parallel...and now we’re doing circles.

I want him and the mods have indicated, he is by far the staff preference. But on your point that CL, AL and TN see him on the level of the others listed, that may or may not be true. What I think it says is that he is the best 2022 so the top programs are after him. That in itself is good enough for me.

It’s so hard to do an eval on a QB based off high school film alone. I though Nathan Peterman had some of the best film coming out of his class and we know how that turned out. I tend to lean toward the experts opinions here. Especially with his position.

Reactions: Devo182
Regarding Clemson, the stability really stands out. The winning tradition, the personal relationship with Brandon Streeter and of course Dabo Swinney and the Christian roots in the program make it a nice setup for Simpson. The player development from the P.A.W Journey to the strength program to the academics, the Tigers staff has done a terrific job of being informative with the Simpson camp throughout the process.

Regarding the Vols, growing up in the state his whole life and the challenge of being the signal-caller that can get the program back into the upper-echelon of the SEC and country excites Simpson too. He’s surrounded by Tennessee fans in his community. The people connected to the program and the opportunity to build it up make the offer intriguing.

Simpson has attended a Tennessee game this year. Look for him to be at the Clemson-Pitt game on Nov. 28. He hasn’t been to the Tigers campus in about a year.
s.wiltfong

This is the type of kid we need to land. A kid who lives in Tennessee and hopefully wants to lead us back to the promise land.

Seeing that Wiltfong write up certainly seems like he favors Clemson.

Think UT leads but I think the favoritsim towards Clemson lately is they know if UT doesn't start improving some Clemson has a great shot to steal him away.

Think UT leads but I think the favoritsim towards Clemson lately is they know if UT doesn't start improving some Clemson has a great shot to steal him away.
Regardless, you’re not gonna speak logic to that guy.

So Horn has better film and likely plays better competition? So why is his offer list weaker than Tys? You can’t use the oh he hasn’t been evaluated. Horn is the #2 ranked pro style QB. No way a guy like that hasn’t been evaluated by everybody from Alabama to Ohio State.
That's a good question was thinking the same thing myself..... I can only tell you what I see, not what everyone else sees, but fact is I'd take a kid that bleeds orange over a kid that has W/L minimum for the school he signs with and has a fear of competition, every day of the week and twice on Saturday

I think after last night's game Horn became a automatic take. We need a QB to help get the ball rolling on the 22 class.

Mike Farrell said this about Simpson in a note this morning: Top contenders: Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Mississippi State, Ole Miss Recruiting outlook: The Vols are pushing to keep Simpson home but Jeremy Pruitt and his staff have plenty of competition here. Alabama, Auburn and Clemson are very intriguing options for Simpson and his family has connections to the Mississippi programs. This could turn out to be a battle between Tennessee and Clemson in the end. Farrell’s take: Clemson is very hard to beat in the quarterback department and I have the Tigers holding a slight edge over Tennessee, especially due to the Vols' recent struggles and inability to develop a QB.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Mike Farrell said this about Simpson in a note this morning: Top contenders: Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Mississippi State, Ole Miss Recruiting outlook: The Vols are pushing to keep Simpson home but Jeremy Pruitt and his staff have plenty of competition here. Alabama, Auburn and Clemson are very intriguing options for Simpson and his family has connections to the Mississippi programs. This could turn out to be a battle between Tennessee and Clemson in the end. Farrell’s take: Clemson is very hard to beat in the quarterback department and I have the Tigers holding a slight edge over Tennessee, especially due to the Vols' recent struggles and inability to develop a QB.
If they can't get Bailey on the field and put him in positions to be successful I dont see how Simpson comes here. Clemson already has Uiaglelei killing it and he will be leaving when Simpson gets there. Clemson didn't sign a top QB this year in the 1st time in forever so the depth chart would be clear for him.

Reactions: UTSuave’

VN Store

Back