'21 GA CB Nyland Green (UGA commit)

Tennessee was down the list for Nyland Green back in the spring. They could have been as low as no. 5 on his top five list, or possibly even out of that group in March or April, but over the last few months, Jeremy Pruitt and his staff in Knoxville have done an excellent job recruiting the four-star out of Covington (Ga.) Newton and the Vols are right in the thick of this race. "I was at Tennessee early in 2020 before the virus hit and I was back for my fourth or fifth visit when they played Alabama," said Green. "The visits are way different now, so I couldn't do the normal stuff on that visit, but I am kind of glad. I got to look at Tennessee from a different perspective and see it a different way. "This visit wasn't really about football, but about the town, what is going on around campus, what kind of people are there and things like that. I went to the game and just watched it from a fan standpoint to see things differently. "I loved the environment. I looked at just as a person, not as a recruit, and took it in on how I would like it in Knoxville if I wasn't a football player. I took in the game, I walked around, I ate at some places, and just had a good time.
"I talked to the coaches a couple of times for short conversations over the phone, but this visit was really about me and my family getting around town and checking things out. We all had a great time. I liked it a lot. We all left Knoxville feeling good about the school and the place." Tennessee has surged up the list it seems. At one time in March, Clemson was trending, and a commitment almost took place. Then Auburn looked to be the school on top. Georgia has been the school talked about most this fall, but the Vols are viewed as a true contender now. "Tennessee is up there for me for sure. I do not have a top list of schools or anything, but they are up there.
"They are just a great school with a great program. At one time, Tennessee was a top program in the country and they look to be headed back towards being that again. I like coach Pruitt a lot, I have a great relationship with coach Ansley and they have been recruiting me hard for a while.
"What Tennessee is building really has my attention. I just think they are headed back to being one of the top programs in the country." Green not only has gotten close to Pruitt, Ansley and some of the coaches at Tennessee, but also players like Alontae Taylor, Trevon Flowers and Bryce Thompson. "Those guys have helped me a lot because they tell me the truth on how things are there," said Green. "Getting to know players, hearing what they think tells me a lot. I have good relationships with a lot of the Tennessee players, and that is important for me. I really listen to what they have to say." A decision is likely coming though in the not so distant future.
"I am not sure on exactly when I will commit yet. I still have to make sure of things first, but I am getting closer. I don't think it will be too much longer before I am ready."
-Simmons

Last edited:
Tennessee has surged for Green over the last six weeks and the Vols are thought to be at least in his top two, if not the leader as of today.

Chad Simmons of Rivals
But I was told that after we lose to Arkansas Saturday that everyone was just gonna magically stop considering Tennessee and all our recruits were gonna decommit because 1 game is a deal breaker

But I was told that after we lose to Arkansas Saturday that everyone was just gonna magically stop considering Tennessee and all our recruits were gonna decommit because 1 game is a deal breaker
While I too believe that the idea that a flood of decommits will ever result from any single game outcome is silly, IF we lose and we see any decommitments, it’s going to be because it was another loss in a month-long trail of poor performances that included getting skull-dragged by two of our three biggest opponents, and an embarrassing home loss to an average Kentucky team.

Anyone who decommits following a potential loss in Saturday’s game already had doubt in their mind perpetuated by the totality of all that failure. No one actually believes the Arkansas result will singularly carry any weight on its own merit.

Reactions: johnfnkelly

VN Store

Back