Rennia Davis leaves possibility of return for 5th year open.

At the G/F spot, I think Rhyne Howard and Michaela Onyenware are probably the pre-season picks for the 1st team AA (with Dana Evans/Aari McDonald, NaLyssa Smith and Aliyah Boston being the likely other 3 members). Davis is in logjam with Christyn Williams, DiDi Richards, Rickea Jackson, and Zia Cooke among others...and whichever surprise breakouts there are (there will be some freshmen or transfers that makes a lot of noise probably). I think she has a shot at WBCA honors, but 1st team is probably going to be a stretch.

But I still think Davis is a lock to get selected in the top 4 of the WNBA draft.

you might want to assess DiDi richards on your list she is out indefinitely with less than 4 weeks til the season starts! praying for her speedy recovery but i don’t think it’s a good situation. she is optimistic but they are being very cautious and leaving nothing to risk as they should ! spinal cord injuries are no joke! so she will have more time off the court and may not play the whole season if at all.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
you might want to assess DiDi richards on your list she is out indefinitely with less than 4 weeks til the season starts! praying for her speedy recovery but i don’t think it’s a good situation. she is optimistic but they are being very cautious and leaving nothing to risk as they should ! spinal cord injuries are no joke! so she will have more time off the court and may not play the whole season if at all.

I hope she's not out for long. I love the way that she plays. She has such good instinct for the game on both ends of the floor, even if she doesn't have a great shot. Her court vision and overall defensive abilities are such a joy to watch.

Reactions: Rixxx and 1reVOLver
The Aces picking up Jackie Young at #1 in 2019 was one of the most horrible decisions ever.....did you guys see how Jackie Young played in the playoffs?? I'll tell you she couldnt even buy a bucket she was a turnover machine lol it was hard to watch......Bill Laimbeer passed on Arike for Jackie Young???....this season Arike lead the WNBA in Points per game and was on the WNBA All-First Team

that was some horrible front office decision making from the Las Vegas Aces
View attachment 319926

I thought this was a head scratcher at the time. Among herself, Arike and Marina Mabrey she would have been my third pick on that team. Marina showed what she’s made of this season as well. She was knocking in the long ball like she was on a mission.

Jackie is a great player but I just couldn’t make sense of that draft.

Even with Tennessee not in the spotlight anymore it's surprising how little buzz Davis is getting. I have yet to see her name on preseason top players/All-American lists trickling out. I expect that to change as she'll have to carry the team on her back this year...
I am a RD fan and have been since day one, however i also have questioned her tendency to pout some and her hustle! That will not cut it in the pay to play leagues. Nothing would please me more than those issues cleared up this year and her being the #1 pick. If past history repeats then she will be playing but not as a top pick. JMHO as always!

While it would obviously be extremely advantageous for Lady Vols basketball for this year’s seniors to accept the one-year extension offered, I would be extremely shocked if Rennia Davis did it, as I have to suspect that she is, as is completely natural, ready to step into the next phase of her life. This is especially true of Rennia since she ENTERED U.T. as a freshman so forward-thinking/planning that she already had the class credit level of rising sophomore. If I were her I’d likely be ready to get my total grown-up on. But we’ll have to wait and see if there are any extenuating circumstances that lead her to want to give a Final Four or better one more try.

I’ll fully support her in whatever she decides to do. Love Rennia Davis!

I am a RD fan and have been since day one, however i also have questioned her tendency to pout some and her hustle! That will not cut it in the pay to play leagues. Nothing would please me more than those issues cleared up this year and her being the #1 pick. If past history repeats then she will be playing but not as a top pick. JMHO as always!
maybe we might be watching different games but Rennia will always give her 100% in games.

I am not too keen on building up other player on different teams and not finding fault in their games.......but in the same breath tryna discredit someone like Rennia who has been nothing but loyal to this program....yeah she's not perfect but so arent Rhyne Howard and Didi Richards....... she barely gets the credit she deserves from the media there is no way she shouldnt be an All-American this year...she is just as good if not better then those other candidates.

that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I am not too keen on building up other player on different teams and not finding fault in their games.......but in the same breath tryna discredit someone like Rennia who has been nothing but loyal to this program....yeah she's not perfect but so arent Rhyne Howard and Didi Richards....... she barely gets the credit she deserves from the media there is no way she shouldnt be an All-American this year...she is just as good if not better then those other candidates.

that's just my opinion.

our,
opinion

Davis is very smart by watching to determine where her place may be if she chooses to enter the draft. If she ask me, I would say stay 5th yr, take that advantage and build ur game. In professional she wouldn't have that chance.
Also waiting to see who declares and who is coming back. She'll need to understand her draft competition, the needs of the teams and the draft order to determine if it might be wise to go or stay. That first contract can set the floor for future contracts so it's important to get as much as you can.

I hope she's not out for long. I love the way that she plays. She has such good instinct for the game on both ends of the floor, even if she doesn't have a great shot. Her court vision and overall defensive abilities are such a joy to watch.

that’s what we all hope but with the extra year extension (yes i know she could always redshirt) there is really no rush to risk or bring her back. Her injury makes me nervous when you read about how she lost all feeling below her knees for awhile and you can tell in the quotes this was more than Moon’s concussion but something really serious.

i am it doubting the young lady and want her to play but i think they will be super super cautious... probably giving her hope as to not give her down but the quotes seem to say different. more likely she gets a late start which may impact her ability to make an AA team

that's just my opinion.
True. But that happens to various players every year. It translates to press and air time. The AA's all have more press and air time than others. Only two ways to garner the attention to be AA, Have the team dominate or you dominate your team and throw up a lot of shots.

I thought this was a head scratcher at the time. Among herself, Arike and Marina Mabrey she would have been my third pick on that team. Marina showed what she’s made of this season as well. She was knocking in the long ball like she was on a mission.

Jackie is a great player but I just couldn’t make sense of that draft.
once Kelsey Plum comes back from the ACL injury it looks like her minutes will take a hit anyway she now has to compete with Plum and Danielle Robinson......maybe the Aces is the right fit for Jackie maybe Bill will trade her this offseason only time will tell

I wonder how the extra rule will impact decisions for juniors, soph, and freshmen all who will have five years to play

VN Store

Back